• Show
Clear All

• change of status b2 to f1 denied SEVIS dates- h e l p

So.

My I 94 expired at 21 April 2016.
    I applied for change of status 31 March 2016
    Start date of my classes: 18 April 2016
    I got denial letter 21 July 2016 with the date 18 July 2016

I got denied because according to them SEVIS start date of my classes is 18 July 2016 and its more than 30 days after my i94 expire.

I saw the lawyer, he was shocked, I went to the school, they were shocked, after one person in school explained to me that the SEVIS updates every few weeks my classes start date if they still didn't look into my case.

On the USCIS website it says that recommendation is to apply 45 days before I94 expire.
    It says also that while my change of status is pending I'm staying in the US legally.
    It also says to put the start date of the classes NOT MORE than 30 days after I94 expires.
    It ALSO says not to apply for change of status 3 months after arriving to the US, because your case will be simply denied.

After all this the letter says that from now my stay in US is violation of the law and I need to leave the country right away
    BUT I can file Motion of Reopen or/and Reconsider the case.
    -> Which means -
    as USCIS website says, as soon as I leave the US my case will be denied BUT
    filing the motion don't put me on legal stay. ( the lawyer and the school said that I shouldn't be worried because as soon as they open the case I will be on "pending" process again which means legal - idk I'm so confused with all this already)

Anyways. I would like to know what should I do and how to fix it.

The thing is that - let me say some random person - let me name "it": Daryl.
    So. Daryl comes to US on 1 January.
    he travels have fun all those cool things.
    after few months he's like: yeah maybe I should get some knowledge I heard I can apply for change of status in US.
    So he reads about it, and he sees he can't apply 3 months after arrival and the recommendation is to apply 45 days before his I94 expire.
    So he find the school, pay all fees (around $500), make an application and send papers 45 days before his I 94 expires. But he is smart and gonna put his classes start date 29 days after his I94 expires. Which should leave him in perfect position because he did ALL that was recommended or required.
    WOW Deryl have now 74 days to get approved. Which gives us 2 months and 13 days.

after 3 months he have no response, but he is not stressed because he'd read that while its pending his stay in US is still legal.
    after (now however you want) 4 to 8 months he is getting denial letter because SEVIS was updating his start classes date every month his case was not approved (yet).

Deryl is terribly sad because he did all the USCIS says, and he also thought that maybe if he do all the USCIS says he may be approved, because but maybe just because while the case is pending his stay was still legal, and maybe if it was still legal after months, while it was pending and SEVIS was changing dates (not because someone did something wrong or too late) it could kinda work. No-one have idea (because no website says - recommendation to apply 45 days before our I94 expire, class start max 30 days after your I94 expires, no applying technically 3 months before I94 expires BUT do some miracle that the SEVIS date is not past date and still maximum 30 after I94 expires and all that while case is pending months.

Need real help from smart person who knows the topic and yes I want to go and do my classes and no I don't want to go pay $900 ticket home, another Visa fee, wait up to 8 months and pay $900 to come back to US. So asking for someone who will really be able to help.

My school told me to give them the I 290B form and they will take care of it - should I do it? Or maybe would be good to take a lawyer (or it doesn't change anything).

What should I do? Help pls.

Sorry for that long post and congrats for all who read it.
    Last edited by idkn; 07-23-2016, 04:44 AM. Reason: just to change little things

Hi there. I am facing similar issue. Did you find any way out?

Originally posted by idkn View Post
    So.

My I 94 expired at 21 April 2016.
    I applied for change of status 31 March 2016
    Start date of my classes: 18 April 2016
    I got denial letter 21 July 2016 with the date 18 July 2016

I got denied because according to them SEVIS start date of my classes is 18 July 2016 and its more than 30 days after my i94 expire.

I saw the lawyer, he was shocked, I went to the school, they were shocked, after one person in school explained to me that the SEVIS updates every few weeks my classes start date if they still didn't look into my case.

On the USCIS website it says that recommendation is to apply 45 days before I94 expire.
    It says also that while my change of status is pending I'm staying in the US legally.
    It also says to put the start date of the classes NOT MORE than 30 days after I94 expires.
    It ALSO says not to apply for change of status 3 months after arriving to the US, because your case will be simply denied.

After all this the letter says that from now my stay in US is violation of the law and I need to leave the country right away
    BUT I can file Motion of Reopen or/and Reconsider the case.
    -> Which means -
    as USCIS website says, as soon as I leave the US my case will be denied BUT
    filing the motion don't put me on legal stay. ( the lawyer and the school said that I shouldn't be worried because as soon as they open the case I will be on "pending" process again which means legal - idk I'm so confused with all this already)

Anyways. I would like to know what should I do and how to fix it.

The thing is that - let me say some random person - let me name "it": Daryl.
    So. Daryl comes to US on 1 January.
    he travels have fun all those cool things.
    after few months he's like: yeah maybe I should get some knowledge I heard I can apply for change of status in US.
    So he reads about it, and he sees he can't apply 3 months after arrival and the recommendation is to apply 45 days before his I94 expire.
    So he find the school, pay all fees (around $500), make an application and send papers 45 days before his I 94 expires. But he is smart and gonna put his classes start date 29 days after his I94 expires. Which should leave him in perfect position because he did ALL that was recommended or required.
    WOW Deryl have now 74 days to get approved. Which gives us 2 months and 13 days.

after 3 months he have no response, but he is not stressed because he'd read that while its pending his stay in US is still legal.
    after (now however you want) 4 to 8 months he is getting denial letter because SEVIS was updating his start classes date every month his case was not approved (yet).

Deryl is terribly sad because he did all the USCIS says, and he also thought that maybe if he do all the USCIS says he may be approved, because but maybe just because while the case is pending his stay was still legal, and maybe if it was still legal after months, while it was pending and SEVIS was changing dates (not because someone did something wrong or too late) it could kinda work. No-one have idea (because no website says - recommendation to apply 45 days before our I94 expire, class start max 30 days after your I94 expires, no applying technically 3 months before I94 expires BUT do some miracle that the SEVIS date is not past date and still maximum 30 after I94 expires and all that while case is pending months.

Need real help from smart person who knows the topic and yes I want to go and do my classes and no I don't want to go pay $900 ticket home, another Visa fee, wait up to 8 months and pay $900 to come back to US. So asking for someone who will really be able to help.

My school told me to give them the I 290B form and they will take care of it - should I do it? Or maybe would be good to take a lawyer (or it doesn't change anything).

What should I do? Help pls.

Sorry for that long post and congrats for all who read it.

Comment

b2 to f1 change of status

hi there, I m same situation.
      How did u manage to get it.

Thanks,

Comment

COS to F-1 has to be done early enough

Comment

Change in process.. need some words of wisdom and suggestions

Hi,

I filed for the change of status in Feb.
          The college states they have no intake in June, so sevis can defer to August.
          I-94 was until May first week and 30 day post that was June first week.
          In this case would I have to extend the same by filing another I-539.
          If so will I have pay the sevis and other fees again?
          Or should I not be worried and just wait it out.
          Do let me know if you can suggest any course of action or none.

Comment

Originally posted by surajveka View Post
            Hi,

I filed for the change of status in Feb.
            The college states they have no intake in June, so sevis can defer to August.
            I-94 was until May first week and 30 day post that was June first week.
            In this case would I have to extend the same by filing another I-539.
            If so will I have pay the sevis and other fees again?
            Or should I not be worried and just wait it out.
            Do let me know if you can suggest any course of action or none.
            During my research i found this on USCIS website. Hope this helps

Special Instructions for Changing to a Nonimmigrant Student Status from B-1/B-2 status
            If you are changing status from B-1/B-2 to F or M student, refrain from enrolling in or beginning your studies until USCIS has approved your change of status. If USCIS has not adjudicated your change of status at least 15 days before the program start date on your Form I-20, contact the DSO at your new school. You may need to wait to attend (have deferred attendance).

Please note that you must maintain your B-1 or B-2 status while your Form I-539 is pending.

USCIS may only approve your Form I-539 change of status request if you are maintaining your B-1/B-2 status up to 30 days before your program’s initial start date.

This means you will need to file a second Form I-539, with a separate fee, to request an extension of your B-1 or B-2 status if:

Your current status will expire more than 30 days before the initial F-1 or M-1 program start date. In this case, you must file a second Form I-539 requesting to extend your B-1 or B-2 status. If you do not file this extension request on time, USCIS will deny your Form I-539 request to change to F-1 or M-1 status. Please continue to check the USCIS processing times while your Form I-539 change of status request is pending to determine if you need to file a request to extend your B-1/B-2 status.
            Your F-1 or M-1 program start date is deferred to the following academic term or semester because USCIS did not make a decision on your Form I-539 change of status application before your originally intended F-1 or M-1 program start date, and your B-1/B-2 status expires more than 30 days before that program start date. You will need to file a second Form I-539 in order to bridge the gap in time between when your current status expires and the 30 day period before your new F-1 program start date.
            Because extending your current stay in B-1 or B-2 status or changing from B-1 or B-2 to F-1 or M-1 status are two distinct benefits, you must pay a separate filing fee for each request.

Reference :
            If you want to change your status while in the United States, you (or in some cases your employer) must file a request with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the appropriate form before your authorized stay expires.

regards,
            Anna

Comment

Change of status from b2 to f1

In March, I filed to change my status from B1/B2 to F1 status. However, a corresponding response, has not been received. Currently, The school has deferred my admission to the next semester to allow more time for processing. As instructed by OIS of school, a “Bridge” I-539 application to extend my nonimmigrant status (B1/B2), is required while my application is pending with the USCIS. which i did but i don't know if it was late or not.
              And i have some quick question,
              * if i was denied can i go to a third party country like canada and apply for F1 visa?
              * can i still coming in the us with my b1/b2 multiple visa?
              * what are my chances i would be approved?
              * How long should i wait?

pls i need help guyz, i'm confused

Comment

Hi - I am in the same situation too. But when did you file the extension? And when was your current status expired?

I read this site - it might help you - http://www.nafsa.org/Professional_Re...or_M-1_Status/

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by justsoft View Post
                  In March, I filed to change my status from B1/B2 to F1 status. However, a corresponding response, has not been received. Currently, The school has deferred my admission to the next semester to allow more time for processing. As instructed by OIS of school, a “Bridge” I-539 application to extend my nonimmigrant status (B1/B2), is required while my application is pending with the USCIS. which i did but i don't know if it was late or not.
                  And i have some quick question,
                  * if i was denied can i go to a third party country like canada and apply for F1 visa?
                  * can i still coming in the us with my b1/b2 multiple visa?
                  * what are my chances i would be approved?
                  * How long should i wait?

pls i need help guyz, i'm confused
                  Hi - I am in the same situation too. But when did you file the extension? And when was your current status expired?

I read this site - it might help you - http://www.nafsa.org/Professional_Re...or_M-1_Status/

Thanks

Comment

No progress in my B2-F1 COS application

Hi guys, anyone applied for COS B2-F1 this year?

I filed my application last June 3 and it's been more than 4 months now and there is no update at all. In the USCIS site, the processing time for my case is like 2 months.
                    Any reason why it is taking so much time?

Thank you for any feedback.

Comment

Has your I-94 expired? If Yes, Did you apply for an extension to your B1/B2 before the expiration, and while your case is pending?

Originally posted by justasking2017 View Post
                      Hi guys, anyone applied for COS B2-F1 this year?

I filed my application last June 3 and it's been more than 4 months now and there is no update at all. In the USCIS site, the processing time for my case is like 2 months.
                      Any reason why it is taking so much time?

Thank you for any feedback.

Comment

Yes my I-94 already expired last August but I filed extension before the expiration.

As of this date, my case is still pending.

Did you apply also?

Originally posted by dehley View Post
                        Has your I-94 expired? If Yes, Did you apply for an extension to your B1/B2 before the expiration, and while your case is pending?

Comment

when should i file for extension?

Yes my I-94 already expired last August but I filed extension before the expiration.

As of this date, my case is still pending.

Did you apply also?
                          I am also applying for COS now. my I-94 is expiring on February 04 2018 and the program start date is February 26, 2018. there is a gap of 22 days.
                          can I file for the change of status or not ???
                          when should I file a B2 extension?
                          if, shall I file separately or simultaneously both application?

I would highly appreciate your response.

Comment

when should i file for extension?

[QUOTE=justasking2017;535654]Yes my I-94 already expired last August but I filed extension before the expiration.

I am also applying for the COS from B2 to f1.

when should I file for an extension?

Comment

[QUOTE=needassistance;543410]

I am also applying for the COS from B2 to f1.

when should I file for an extension?

I think you should apply for extenstion too, please see link below: Thanks

Is it permissible to enroll in school while in a nonimmigrant status other than student status? It depends. Some statuses permit you to enroll in school, while other statuses do not.&nbsp

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X