B1/B2 Visa after F1 Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 Visa after F1 Visa

Just the past week I got an F1 visa issued for the Fall 2017 program. The program start date is in the third week of Aug 2017; however, another opportunity came by few days ago that requires me to travel to one of the conferences in the US as a speaker in the month of September 2017. The catch is I am now thinking of reapplying to the program next year, and not using my F1. And rather requesting for a B1/B2 Visa to travel to the conference. I have the following questions:
    1. Can I obtain a B1/B2 visa, as I have an F1 already.
    2. Will my F1 visa get revoked, if I am to get a B1/B2
    3. Should I cancel my F1 before applying for B1/B2. If yes, should I write to the college and request a letter.
    4. Will my decision to obtain B1/B2 and cancel (or not use) F1 impact my chances of obtaining F1 next year to the same college.
    5. Although I would be attending a conference, I do not intend to seek support from my organization for the travel or visa papers. Does that mean I can only apply for the Visitor's visa (B2)
    6. The conference lasts for only 4 days, can I travel a week in advance to the conference or extend my stay by a week.

Also, I plan to book my return ticket prior to my visa interview, as I have a clear intent of returning and resuming my work in my country.

I'd appreciate any guidance on my doubts, and the potential challenges that might come my way.

1) Yes, although the burden of demonstrating strong ties to your home country is higher with B visas than for F visas
    2) No
    3) No
    4) No
    5) It is still a B-1 purpose regardless of who pays
    6) Yes

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      1) Yes, although the burden of demonstrating strong ties to your home country is higher with B visas than for F visas
      2) No
      3) No
      4) No
      5) It is still a B-1 purpose regardless of who pays
      6) Yes
      Thank you for responding. In response to demonstrating strong ties to my home country, what documents might your recommend that I carry. Few other things to my profile:
      1. I work at a reputed product-based company in my home country.
      2. I have social ties here, although not married yet.
      3. I have sufficient financial background.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X