Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Visa extension

Dear Forum,

My sister was getting cancer treatment and came to the USA regularly from abroad since 2011 with a 6-month tourist visa. She never let it extend more than that. On her last visit last year and being at the late stages of her cancer she could not fly out and her doctor recommend hospice treatment and suggested to apply for an extension on her tourist visa along with my Mom as her companion on medical reasons.

Her doctor provided all the necessary documentation(Case Type I-539 on Form I-797) and it was submitted in December 2017 in Florida through a law firm specialized in Immigration. My sister passed in February 2018. My Mom left the country soon after the cremation services and taking care of other items. Now my Mom wishes to return to the USA as a tourist to take care of personal items but according to the law firm, the petition to extend the visa for my sister and Mom is still being process; it's been 10 months since and they told my Mom that she can not enter the country until the petition for the extension has cleared.

This does not make any sense to me since my sister passed seven(7) months ago and she was the main reason for the extension. Why the petition can not be rescinded and why the lawyer is saying my Mom can not come back with her tourist visa?

Can anybody provide me with some answers to this?

Thanks,

Originally posted by micktaylor View Post
    Dear Forum,

My sister was getting cancer treatment and came to the USA regularly from abroad since 2011 with a 6-month tourist visa. She never let it extend more than that. On her last visit last year and being at the late stages of her cancer she could not fly out and her doctor recommend hospice treatment and suggested to apply for an extension on her tourist visa along with my Mom as her companion on medical reasons.

Her doctor provided all the necessary documentation(Case Type I-539 on Form I-797) and it was submitted in December 2017 in Florida through a law firm specialized in Immigration. My sister passed in February 2018. My Mom left the country soon after the cremation services and taking care of other items. Now my Mom wishes to return to the USA as a tourist to take care of personal items but according to the law firm, the petition to extend the visa for my sister and Mom is still being process; it's been 10 months since and they told my Mom that she can not enter the country until the petition for the extension has cleared.

This does not make any sense to me since my sister passed seven(7) months ago and she was the main reason for the extension. Why the petition can not be rescinded and why the lawyer is saying my Mom can not come back with her tourist visa?

Can anybody provide me with some answers to this?

Thanks,
    Sorry to hear about your sister.

We all here are just sharing our experiences, which may or may not be 100% accurate.

I believe attorney is much more experienced then people here - I would suggest to consult another attorney, rather this forum.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X