Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Sponsor My Mom's Visit Visa?

Hi,

I am a student working on F-1 OPT and I intend to invite my mom on visitor visa to the U.S.

My mom is a widow and has previously traveled to Australia twice to visit my sister (we are her only children). She has an apartment, a car, and savings certificates in her name from which she receives some monthly profits.

I was initially willing to sponsor her visit visa, but I was advised that an independent application always has much higher chance of approval, and given her travel profile, assets, and strong ties to the country, she should apply independently.

If I go the independent application route, I am afraid, she might not have enough liquid cash in her bank account to show at the time of interview.

I am having a hard time deciding if her visa application should be independent or should I sponsor it? Her visit visa to Australia was independent.

Please provide some advice in this regard.

Thanks!

The petitioning sponsors must present evidences to prove that they are financially able to support both the immigrant and their own household. The requirements to become a qualified sponsor to intending immigrants are as follows:
    1. Must be a US citizen or a permanent resident in the US;
    2. Must be at least 18 years of age or older;
    3. Must be living in the US when they file the Affidavit of Support;
    4. Must prove an income level at or above 125 % of the Federal poverty level
    What if the petitioner’s income does not meet the minimum income requirement?

If the principal sponsor does not meet the financial qualifications by income alone, proof of ownership of valuable assets (e.g. savings, houses, cars, stocks, bonds or property) can be declared to fill in the gap. These assets, however, must be readily convertible to cash within 1 year to be counted for immigration sponsorship purposes.

What if the main sponsor’s income and assets combined are still not enough to meet the immigration sponsorship requirement?

1. Household member’s income

If the combined assets and income of the sponsor is still insufficient to meet the financial requirements, the income of certain household members can be added to your income level. The co-sponsor must have the same principal residence as the petitioning sponsor, and must be willing to make their own income or assets available for support.

2. Independent Joint Sponsor

If the principal sponsor cannot demonstrate the ability to maintain the required income level, the intending immigrant may also obtain assistance from another (independent) sponsor who is willing to contribute financial support and assume joint liability with the principal sponsor. The joint sponsor must substantiate income or assets that separately meet all qualifications including the required income threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by solost View Post
      If I go the independent application route, I am afraid, she might not have enough liquid cash in her bank account to show at the time of interview.

I am having a hard time deciding if her visa application should be independent or should I sponsor it? Her visit visa to Australia was independent.
      You really do not need to cash in her bank account, but you need to show that she is well to do in her home country (can support herself) & she won't stay in USA as dependent on you.

If she can show asset & regular income, that should be good for her to apply as self-sponsored & yes, it will be better for her.

However, depends on your country of origin, a single widow mother is seen as dependent on her only son & not easy for her to get the visa.
      - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

If I her application is independent, do I still need to send her a letter of invitation?

Comment

Originally posted by solost View Post
          If I her application is independent, do I still need to send her a letter of invitation?
          No.
          - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X