GF and I wanting to get married - Got a quote from an attorney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GF and I wanting to get married - Got a quote from an attorney

Hi and thank you for your time reading this.

My girlfriend is from Chile visiting the US (I'm a US citizen) and we've decided to see if we can make things permanent spontaneously while she's here. We did reach out to an attorney and he gave us a brief discussion and I'm curious to see if it's normal to what other people are quoted. This is her second trip to the US, and she's been here for about 70 days so far. What the attorney suggested is we wait until after her 90 days are up, and instead of her going back to Chile she stays within the US and we get married (after the 90 days) and then start a filing process. He said the filing process is $1700 in total, and he's offering his services for a flat $3000 for the whole duration of our case to assist us with everything from start to finish.

I haven't been able to be quoted by other attorneys, he's very friendly and seems very good at what he does as well as having lots of very good reviews, but I'm just curious if this pricing and suggestion is common for our situation.

legal fees are high. Most couples do it on their own with a little bit of research, forums, and youtube videos. You should really only want legal expertise if you have criminal history or don't have the time to do it on your own. Otherwise, you've got tons of free resources to help you file the I-130. And it's not difficult at all, really. But the choice is yours. And yes, he's right about the 90-day rule to avoid problems with immigration, that's a common concept.
    --Good luck--
    Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

The 90 days wait is just to prove that her intention on this visit was not solely to get married with you.
      - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X