Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Sponsored vs Sponsored

Hello,

I am a green card holder and my brother and his family are planning to visit this summer.

I would like to know your expert advise whether he should self-sponsor or should I be sponsor. He has the financial capability to self-sponsor his family and himself and do not need any support from me.

Does self-sponsoring has any advantage over sponsoring or vice-a-versa?

In case he decides to self-sponsor, do I need to send any documents from my side? What financial documents does he need to provide at his end? And how much bank balance should he show?

Thanks
    M

There is no published rule by USA govt for which one is better.

I think self-sponsor is always better, reason it shows that you are well to do in your own home country, earning enough, have good savings to spend on themselves, etc - which shows strong ties to home country.

Visitor can always say that they will bear their own expenses, but staying with their relative in USA (so no lodging cost).

For your documentation, its better to send them few documents, which can prove that you are legally living in USA & having direct/in-direct relation (like yours & your brother's passport should both show same parent name, etc.). Your bank statement/salary slips shows that they are the person you really trust to share those docs.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
      There is no published rule by USA govt for which one is better.

For your documentation, its better to send them few documents, which can prove that you are legally living in USA & having direct/in-direct relation (like yours & your brother's passport should both show same parent name, etc.). Your bank statement/salary slips shows that they are the person you really trust to share those docs.
      Thank you Libra.

Can you also advise how much bank balance does my brother and his family need to show in support of his self-sponsorship? Are there any additional documents that he need to produce in addition for self-sponsorship.

Thanks
      M

Comment

Originally posted by Mukhiya View Post
        Can you also advise how much bank balance does my brother and his family need to show in support of his self-sponsorship? Are there any additional documents that he need to produce in addition for self-sponsorship.
        Depends on how long they would like to stay. Consider $1500 per person per month of saving is good enough.

Ensure they are earning well to spend $1500 per month. For example, a person making $5000 per year won't spend $1500 in just one month, just to visit USA.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

You can’t even sponsor for him if you’re a green card holder only a citizen can bring their siblings to America via I-130 application. So the only option is for him to self sponsor and apply for the B2 visa. When you become a naturalized citizen however you can file the family visa sponsor for him. But right now that option isn’t even available to you. A green card holder can only bring their spouse and children.

Just be aware that B2 visas have a higher denial rate whereas family sponsor visas are very easy to obtain. However you should also be aware that bringing a sibling is a very long process and it takes the National Visa Center between 6 to 9 years to issue the visa after applying. So it’s probably better for you to sponsor your parents first when you get a citizenship and then have your parents sponsor for your brother since green card holders can apply for their children. This also depends on his age and marital status so read up on the family sponsor system at the government website and then calculate the different potential scenarios based on which would be easier your parents or you. Just google visa bulletin processing times for that info, and then check which category you fit into.

However the bottom line right now is that he can’t be brought with the family visa because you’re not a citizen. And also be aware that B2 visas don’t benefit from having siblings or family living in America so don’t emphasize that too much when you’re filling out the DS-160 form. He’s much more likely to be approved for his B2 visa if he’s coming for a business event or if he can prove that he is financially independent and highly likely to return back to his home country and not overstay his visa.

All the best,

-ifra
          -I work at an immigration firm and thought I’d help this forum with answers from a professional.
          -I can only respond when I have some free time if I don’t respond back just wait a couple days or a few weeks it just means I’m busy with cases in real life.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X