Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 Extension - Extended stay would be temporary

Hi,

My dad came to the US on a visitor's visa in January. He has a return ticket for end of July, however, due to the Covid situation, his flight is canceled. I'm applying his Form-I 539 to extend his stay in the US by another 6 months until Jan of next year, but the plan is to get back to India as soon as it is safe to travel back.

One of the questions in the form is "The reasons why your extended stay would be temporary, including what arrangements you have made to depart from the United States"
    Now, because we wouldn't have a new return ticket ready when I apply his extension online, would his extension request be denied?

Please advise.

Hi, checking if anyone has any advise regarding this.

Comment

No his request won't be denied. Uscis is actually granting extensions due to covid-19. So just put his flight was cancelled and you should be good. Also make sure once things are back open and a flight is available, that he goes back. My sister got denied visitor visa renewal because she stayed for 3 months when she visited 3 years ago.

Comment

Thank you! Also, I find it curious that the online Form I-539 submission wizard doesn't explicitly ask for I-134 Affidavit of Support. I'm planning to include that anyway. Should I?

Comment

Form I134 really is not required - thats not a legal document either to force you to pay for your parents.
          - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Uscis is actually granting extensions due to covid-19. So just put his flight was cancelled and you should be good. Also make sure once things are back open and a flight is available, that he goes back.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X