I can't keep my birth name on my license. Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't keep my birth name on my license. Please Help

I'm sorry if the is OT but I don't know where to turn for help. I went to renew my driver's license and because my green card is in my married name, they won't renew it under my birth name. But my birth name is the name that's on my present license, my social security card, and my Canadian passport! I showed them my divorce papers and it did no good. They wanted to issue me a license in my married name. The name on the Green Card. They said the solution was to get a new green card. So I asked the manager for an extension. I've applied to become a citizen since the cost is about the same. Now I don't know what to do since my extension is only for 60 days. Try another DMV? They are very hard to deal with.

DMV's conduct a check against the SAVE database. The name in this database is what's on your greencard and hence will need to be on the License as well.
    What's the issue in renewing it in your married name for now ?
    Once you become a citizen (with name change back to maiden), you can apply for a new one.
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Once you become a citizen (with judicial ceremony for name change), you can use your Naturalization Certificate or US passport to update the SSN card and then your canadian passport as well.
      Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

The rules will be same at each DMV.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X