Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 visa extension for Parents

Hello Everyone,

My parents visited us here in the US in March and soon after that lockdown was announced. They got B2 visa validity for 6 months and it will end in early Sept.
    Currently only rescue flights are operating btw India and US and we were hoping once regular flights open up our parents can travel back to India.
    Based on the current state it doesnt look like regular flights will open up anytime soon and my parents tourist visa will expire.
    I want to extend their visa [mom and dad] and have a few questions

1 - If we file their I-539 online then i can only submit one application or applicants details and there is a fee of $370 plus $85 biometric fee per applicant, if this is true then i would need 2 separate online accounts to submit 2 applications and pay 370+85+370+85 ?
    2 - I also read somewhere that if we send physical mail to USCIS then i can combine applications, so maybe my dad is the applicant and my mom becomes the co-applicant. I still fill out 2 separate I-539 for both of them and have to post it but by doing this i only have to pay 1 application fee of $370 plus biometric fees ?
    3 - I am not sure if Biometric fees are required for B2 extensions
    4 - I would prefer to send their applications in post if that avoids one set of fees, is there any other documentations that i might also need to post for their extension consideration

Sorry if this is general knowledge already and if this seems like a redundant post then will appreciate if someone can point me to some useful links\post\experiences

Thank you all in advance

1. No, spouse can be filed under the same application and therefore from the same online account. You should pay $370 + $85 + $85. When in doubt, file by paper because that can be better controlled than online filing especially when you have a dependent applicant.

2. Only one application of I-539 is needed. The dependent will be included in the I-539 as a dependent applicant, though the dependent must also pay the biometrics fee of $85.

3. Yes it is required now for B-2 extension

4. I would recommend filing by paper as well. One application, one parent is the primary applicant and the other one is the dependent, two sets of biometrics fee, one filing fee of $370

Comment

Thank You Jack

I will "paper" file my parents extension, downloaded both I-539 and I-539A forms from USCIS.

One more followup question based on the Sample i-539 listed here. https://www.immihelp.com/usa-visa/sa...ant-status.pdf
      PDF Page 2 > Section Part 1 > Question 15a and 15b
      In 15b we need to enter the Expiration Date, is that the expiration date of the B2 visa which is usually for 10 years or is this the I-94 Expiration Date that was stamped on arrival ?
      In the above sample I-539 i can see that the person might have entered the i-94 expiration date which is typically 6 months from arrival

Comment

Hi ArthurD,
        Are you please able to connect here on the progress and how you are going about submitting the extension for your parents?
        I am in the process of applying for the extension for my parents as well. They came to the US in mid Mar and their stay expires mid Sep as well.
        I would appreciate that

PS: I am also wondering if the expiration date is the visa expiration or the i-94 expiration.

Comment

I am one more person in the same boat.

Parent came to US in early March, I-94 expiring in early September, am in the process of filing B2 extension for 6 months.

Thinking of filing online (only one applicant).

Comment

Have you guys been able to figure out the 15b questiok

Comment

I submitted mine with i94 expiry date and not the B2 visa expiry itself.
              Had to put in the app coz i94 expiry date is coming up in couple of weeks now, will post back after i get the Receipt Number.

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurD View Post
                I submitted mine with i94 expiry date and not the B2 visa expiry itself.
                Had to put in the app coz i94 expiry date is coming up in couple of weeks now, will post back after i get the Receipt Number.
                I think you did the correct thing

In the online version of this form, there are no part numbers or question numbers but this question appears as "When does your current nonimmigrant status expire?"

I do not think the visa itself grants any "status" to the person who has the visa. When you actually enter the US, the I-94 issued at the border is what grants you your non-immigrant status and it expires at the end of I-94 validity.

I am not any expert in this matters - just offering my interpretation that I used to fill this form myself.

Comment

Is it true that you are please ready to associate here on the advancement and how you are approaching presenting the augmentation for your folks?

I am applying for the expansion for my folks too. They went to the US in mid-Mar and their stay terminates mid-Sep too.

I would welcome that

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X