Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B1 / B2 visa renewal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • B1 / B2 visa renewal

    Hello, Here are the details and the questions I have:

    Details:
    I sponsored a B1/B2 visa for my in-laws in 2011. Both got their visa approved. They travelled twice in the last 10 years and stayed no more than 6 months on each occasion. My father-in-law was a retried employee back then (he retired in 2003). I was holding a green-card at that time (in 2011).
    Their visa's are expiring in 2021. I am planning on re-applying.

    What has changed (legal/immig status wise):
    1) Me and my wife are citizens as of 2018.
    2) We have 2 kids since then.

    Questions:
    1) Should I sponsor this time again? or Should I pick that they will sponsor for themselves? As I am a citizen, does it matter if I sponsor (as I did the first time for their B1/2 visa) or specify they will self fund their trip?

    2) My in-laws are not sure if they have given 10-finger prints? But reading online resources, it is very obvious that they must have given their 10 fingers for finger printing Should I say NO or YES for this option (as they dont remember, I cannot have them choose YES), but, with COVID and challenges with travelling to the consulate in India, I am hoping if they can get the drop off option. If I pick NO for ten-finger prints, does it hurt the ability to get the interview waiver?

    If you had a similar situation or had seen someone with a similar situation, what would yo suggest?

    Any help is appreciated!

    Thanks









  • #2
    Originally posted by surendraz View Post
    1) Should I sponsor this time again? or Should I pick that they will sponsor for themselves? As I am a citizen, does it matter if I sponsor (as I did the first time for their B1/2 visa) or specify they will self fund their trip?
    If they are financially strong, let them self sponsor - its always better.
    Irrespective you are a non-immigrant or citizen, it won't matter much if you sponsor them.
    Originally posted by surendraz View Post
    2) My in-laws are not sure if they have given 10-finger prints? But reading online resources, it is very obvious that they must have given their 10 fingers for finger printing Should I say NO or YES for this option (as they dont remember, I cannot have them choose YES), but, with COVID and challenges with travelling to the consulate in India, I am hoping if they can get the drop off option. If I pick NO for ten-finger prints, does it hurt the ability to get the interview waiver?
    Since they got their first visa in 2011, most probably they haven't given their finger prints - its always better to say "No" & resubmit fingerprints (no harm).
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

    If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by surendraz View Post

      Questions:
      1) Should I sponsor this time again? or Should I pick that they will sponsor for themselves? As I am a citizen, does it matter if I sponsor (as I did the first time for their B1/2 visa) or specify they will self fund their trip?
      >>> For visitor visas, the applicant needs to prove that they are eligible for the terms of that visa and can support themselves.
      In your parent's case, having a previously issued visa + past visits helps their case.

      2) My in-laws are not sure if they have given 10-finger prints? But reading online resources, it is very obvious that they must have given their 10 fingers for finger printing Should I say NO or YES for this option (as they dont remember, I cannot have them choose YES), but, with COVID and challenges with travelling to the consulate in India, I am hoping if they can get the drop off option. If I pick NO for ten-finger prints, does it hurt the ability to get the interview waiver?
      >>> The US introduced the 10 finger prints in 2007.
      Anyone who applied for visas on or after 2007 (except diplomatic visas) , have submitted their 10 prints. They should answer YES (unless they were >79yrs at that time)
      If asked for the date, enter the same month and year as the date of issue on the current visa (example March 2010)
      Waivers only exist for ages <14 and >79yrs at the time of application and the consulate makes the decision based on their records.

      Another tip: Please look at their passport expiration. If it is within 1yr, I would recommend they get that renewed first, so the new visa is on the latest passport and they don't have to carry both old and new when traveling.



      Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

      Comment


      • #4
        My parents10 years b2 visa expiring 2021. I wanted to apply b2 visa for them. What's the procedure for applying extension and will they eligible for drop box. Did the dropbox location are opened in Chennai. Is us embassy stoped dropbox extension in Chennai

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SHENOZ21 View Post
          My parents10 years b2 visa expiring 2021. I wanted to apply b2 visa for them. What's the procedure for applying extension and will they eligible for drop box. Did the dropbox location are opened in Chennai. Is us embassy stoped dropbox extension in Chennai

          Eligibility for dropbox (if applicant is between 14 & 80 yrs of age. Must be able to answer YES to all the below)
          • I have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa for which I wish to apply
          • My most recent visa was issued in India
          • I received my visa after January 1, 2008
          • My prior visa is not annotated “Clearance Received” or “Department Authorization”.
          • My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was issued on or after my 14th birthday
          • My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was not lost/stolen or cancelled.
          • I have no refusals for a visa in any class after my most recent visa issuance
          • If I am applying for an H or L (individual) or R visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.
          If your parent(s) are >80yrs of age, then the below criteria apply
          • I am applying on or after 80th birthday
          • My most recent visa application was not refused.

          Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you folks, I have all the information needed.

            Comment


            • #7
              This is a very informative blog for me. I am very much benefited after reading this blog. Keep sharing.

              Comment


              • #8
                An update on this topic.

                I have applied for B1/B2 visa for my inlaws using dropbox facility and they have their visa approved (passport not in had yet).
                For the particular questions I had asked at the beginning of this topic:
                a) I stated that I am paying for the trip (the same way I stated when I first applied 10 years ago).
                b) I chose "yes" for 10-printing
                c) After deliberating, for the current profession, I said that my father-in-law is a landlord/property manager doing active day-to-day work.

                Once I had their passports and the required documents dropped off, it took less than a week to go to "Issued" state.


                Now, I am trying to repeat the same for my parents too (their visas expire early next year) But, the challenge is that the drop box dates are not available anymore, need to see how soon I can get an appointment.



                Comment


                • #9
                  Hello Surendraz,

                  I am in the same situation as you were. I need to renew visa for my parents.I will be sponsoring. Can you please share the documents you provided along with renewal application.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi Maverick79, I did not provide any other (supporting or otherwise) documents, Only the following four:
                    appt confirmation page,
                    photos,
                    passports,
                    CAEC confirmation page.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hello Surendraz,

                      thxs for your reply. I completed the application and create a profile and paid the fee. When I am going on the cgi website to schedule appointment, it saying "There are currently no appointments available.".

                      On top of the page its saying "Schedule OFC Appointment". Am I doing something wrong?

                      I am using below URL to create profile to pay the fee and schedule appointment.

                      https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/...&country=India


                      Please help.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X