Guidance on B2 visa for 70-year old parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidance on B2 visa for 70-year old parents

Both my parents are 70-year old and live in India. They have had two international trips so far - both to Singapore. They have two children - Son (myself - married and permanent resident in Canada) and Daughter (in India - married)

I had done my Masters from US in 2011 and they received their B2 visa back then to attend my convocation - however, they didn't travel. I returned from US immediately after finishing masters studies. Thus, they never travelled to US and their 10-year visa is set to expire in Nov - next month.

I have put an application for their B2 visa renewal and their interview is in late Jan. For some reason, they didn't get interview waiver - perhaps because they never utilized the B2 visa.

I wish to know their chances of B2 visa approval.

Should I first get my own B2 visa (which expired 5 years ago) and then get them face the interview? It's so because I can say that I will bring them along to visit US. I think US immigration officers might feel that they are too old to be tourists all by themselves. I am not sure how realistic to say that a 70-year old couple wants to visit US. I think their purpose of visit is not very strong. Can someone please guide me on the next steps? My parents don't have any immediate or distant relatives in US.

Your promise to bring them back is worthless, as you have no legal authority over them. Age of tourists is not relevant once someone is an adult. Since they had a visa before, but never used it, that is OK, because if they had had designs on staying put, they would have done so already (statistically). I doubt they will have much difficulty getting a new B2. A reminder that no third party, whether relative or friend, can make any legally enforceable statement or promise regarding a visa applicant's actions once admitted to the US.

Comment

Originally posted by HFM1919 View Post
      Your promise to bring them back is worthless, as you have no legal authority over them. Age of tourists is not relevant once someone is an adult. Since they had a visa before, but never used it, that is OK, because if they had had designs on staying put, they would have done so already (statistically). I doubt they will have much difficulty getting a new B2. A reminder that no third party, whether relative or friend, can make any legally enforceable statement or promise regarding a visa applicant's actions once admitted to the US.
      Thanks for the inputs. This means that in their case, purpose of travel is the weaker link. The immigration officer may not question their intent because they might have already flown to US if they wanted to. Coming back to the purpose, all they can say is they wish to visit as tourists. Which of these is the most sellabel story?

1, Visit to my university from where I graduated in 2011 ...UC Berkeley
      2. Visit to Florida in summers
      3. Visit to New York in summers

Where exactly do I make them visit?

Comment

you do nothing. purpose of travel is fine...normal...expected.,...it does not have to be complicated nor choreographed or 'scripted.'

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X