Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 Visa and online courses

Hi,

I am planning on taking a 1 year educational leave (break) from my company. During that time I plan on going through several online courses (example: edx, udemy, EF online English classes) while staying in the US for about 5 months (relax/ study/ travel).

My questions are:

1) Am I (German citizen) allowed to apply for a B2 visa and stay/travel in the US while taking online classes 20hrs a week for up to 6 months?
    As far as I know this does not require applying for a student visa and I should be perfectly fine with the B2 visa.

2) When going for the interview, I would like to tell them as just explained above. Will they accept that? Or will they instantly tell me that I will require a student visa for that?

Anything I need to take care of?

Thanks and best regards

As long as the school isn't SEVP approved, and it's a short term course incidental to the visit, it shouldn't be a problem. However, I'm confused by the magnitude of your study and just what primary reason you have to enter the US?

Comment

The primary reason on why I would like to visit the US will be to visit different states and use the time to improve my English. Studying online will be limited to 20hrs a week (while you are on educational leave you are still employed by a company here in Germany but you don’t do any actual work for them for the period you agreed with your employer). I have enough savings to easily sustain my living during that period.

Comment

1) Yes, you are allowed to apply for a B2 visa and stay/travel in the US while taking online classes 20hrs a week for up to 6 months. 2) The consular officer may ask you about your plans to take online courses during your stay in the US. You should be honest and explain that you plan to take online courses for personal enrichment and that you will not be enrolled in a full-time course. The officer may also ask you about your plans to travel within the US. You should explain that you intend to travel for leisure and sightseeing. There is no specific requirement for how long you must stay in the US before taking online courses.
        Last edited by AndreyDuplanti; 09-05-2022, 10:12 AM.

Comment

As far as I remember you should not have a problem with the visa because officially you are not studying.

Comment

Honestly, I'm not an expert, but the B2 visa is generally intended for tourism and leisure, and taking online courses in the U.S. may be considered a violation of the terms of a tourist visa.

Comment

A really good question. If the main purpose is education, even if it's online, in such cases, you might be required to obtain a student visa (F-1 visa). Generally, in such matters, it is recommended to consult with the U.S. Embassy and possibly seek advice from an immigration attorney. Additionally, if you need any information or assistance in further education, i can recommend an article https://thekeyfact.com/the-benefits-...ation-process/
              where you will find examples of cause and effect essays and a lot of other useful information, very helpful for students pursuing education. Education plays a key role in personal and professional development, and any available assistance and information can significantly ease this path to knowledge and success.
              Last edited by TobytoDaly; 12-29-2023, 07:51 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X