Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do my parents need to leave the USA 1 month before their Indian passport expires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do my parents need to leave the USA 1 month before their Indian passport expires?

Hi,
    My parents arrived today in the US on the Indian passport which expires on the 25 July 2022. They have a US tourist visa which expires in 2024. But they were told that they have to return to India by June 25, 2022. Is that true or the immigration officer made a mistake? Can they stay here until 3 weeks before their passport expires? Thanks so much!

What's the admit-until date on their I-94?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

What is the Permission to stay date on PP? They need to return before June25
      Also atleast 6 month's validity is needed to enter at POE. But the said passport expires on 25july22 which is less than 6months
      Last edited by virgopal; 05-21-2022, 02:41 AM.

Comment

There's no minimum "extra time" needed on the passport in order to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingron View Post
          There's no minimum "extra time" needed on the passport in order to leave.
          There is a rule that says a nonimmigrant must have a passport valid for 6 months beyond the end of their stay. What this means is that the officer at entry puts down a date on their I-94 that is no later than 6 months before the passport expiration. However, India is in the 6-month club, whose passports just need to be valid at the end of the stay. For these people, the officer at entry puts down a date on their I-94 that is no later than the passport expiration. So in this case, the officer should be able to admit them until July 25. But of course, the officer can admit them for a shorter time if he wants. So it all depends on what it says on their I-94s.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X