Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K1 Visa

Hey guys !

I am currently on an OPT however it runs out in May. For those who may not know it it Optional Practitioner Training which is an extension I got to my student visa after I completed my degree.

Long story short the company I worked for told me they would help with obtaining a work visa after my OPT ran out however they pulled out of their promise and now I’m in a bit of a pickle.

I met my now fiancé 4 years ago and I am currently living with her and I am wondering what our best option is.

Should I go back home to the UK and start the K1 Visa process while I’m back or should we get it started before I even head home ?

Or is there a completely different way to go about it that would be better ?​

The point of a K1 visa is to allow you to enter the US, marry the citizen, and apply for Adjustment of Status. You are already in the US, and you can just marry and apply for Adjustment of Status. If you guys are ready to marry and you are ready to stay in the US, K1 is unnecessary. But if you want to return to the UK for a few years and then marry and immigrate to the US later, then K1 might be reasonable. (Or alternately, marry outside the US and be petitioned for an immigrant visa directly.)

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X