Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to renew? Advice please.

Hi,
    In 2009 I travelled to the US for a holiday with a few friends, I was informed by the travel agent at the time that I should apply for a US Visa due to having been arrested for a minor offence over 8 years ago. I was not convicted or charged, it was just a caution and an on the spot fine.
    However, I went through the process just to make sure there wouldn't be any issues on entry. I was then given a B1/B2 Visa which has an expiration date of 2012.
    In 2013 myself and my other half are looking to visit the US on holiday but I'm aware of my Visa situation. I know people who have gained entry to the US without having a Visa but who have also been arrested by the police and even convicted.
    My question is, do I really need to renew my US Visa even though I now believe I didn't require it in the first instance? I need to renew my passport anyway so the Visa will not show up.
    Any advice will be much appreciated.
    Many thanks, Dave.

You haven't mentioned, but it seems you are from a visa waiver country. And you wish to use the visa waiver once your existing visa expires.

Anybody traveling on a visawaiver has to apply for ESTA ( travel authorization) security clearance of US govt.
    If you do not clear it, you won't be allowed to board and you will have to apply for a visa instead.
    So, you will know beforehand.

Comment

Apologies, I am from the UK and ideally want to be using the visa waiver.

Thanks for the advice, my worst nightmare would be to arrive in the US and not be allowed entry, reading through your link it appears this is something I can be made aware of when applying for ESTA. Thanks again.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X