No announcement yet.

Extension and I-134 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just want to share an update. I sent in the extension about 50 days before my mom's I-94 expires. About 2 weeks later, I received the notice with a case number. Checked it online and it says received and pending. There's also a link for processing time.

I was disappointed to learn that it takes approx. 3 months (90days) for B2 extension. I know information obtained from this forum is not official and use at your own risk, but I think if there's a link to the official processing time, I would not have taken the advice of 45 days and would have filed much earlier.

I can assume $300 is down the drain and vacation plans cancelled. Good thing we planned to drive instead of fly. Otherwise plane tickets would have been useless (>$1000). We just lost the hotel reservation (also >$1000) since I booked through Hotwire.

Was looking forward towards a nice summer vacation with my mom since we get shutdown and forced vacation. Instead now, she's leaving a week before her I-94 expires.

To the mod: perhaps you can link the processing time in the Extension article as well. Maybe it's there and I didn't see it? Doesn't make sense to wait 45 days when the processing time is 3 months. Also, it says not to apply 3 months upon arrival to US. But stay is granted for 6 months. So, if one wait exactly 3 months, there's a slight chance of getting it.

Of course if a miracle happens and they happen to process it much quicker. But a lot of money already wasted

Comment

When the travel plans are iffy and are dependent on an extension being granted or approved, who in their right mind would book non-refundable tickets and hotel reservations?

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

txh1b - thank you for your helpful and very insightful comment.

Only my mom's portion of the hotel is wasted. Dad decided to leave early, but the room was for 2 anyway.

We'll still go on our vacation minus the parents. I suppose I could get it from Hotwire for my portion of the hotel and then upon knowing the hotel, book from the regular channels and pay more for her room. But by booking together, the intent is obviously to save money and get the rooms in the same hotel.

Btw, why are some members so fond of criticizing and putting in their 2cents about anything and everything EXCEPT for the issue at hand?

Good thing I've my GC for almost 10 years now w/o having to ask for advice in this forum. I can't imagine what comment I would get otherwise.

You would think someone would take my suggestion about putting a link to the processing time under the B2 extension instead of telling me I shouldn't have bought non refundable hotel reservations which has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand.
        Last edited by donotspam; 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Links for processing timings are given on the home page, http://www.immihelp.com/

We can't put links to everything on every page. That is not practical.
          Immihelp Support
          No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

I would expect people to do some leg work than play the blame game on forum users or the forum admin.Forum members respond based on the attitude presented at the other end by the posters as well. Everyone wants everything laid out on a silver platter and none is ready to put the time and effort to help others once their problem is solved. You got it right, if you don't like what is offered by the members, you are welcome to go talk to an attorney or other places on the internet.

When should I file and how long will it take to process my
            application?

Our processing times can vary. You may check our website for our
            current processing times. We recommend that you apply no later
            than 60 days before your I-94 expires. You may also apply up to 6
            months before your I-94 expires to have your stay extended.

What if I file on time but USCIS doesn’t make a decision
            before my I-94 expires?

If we receive your application before your status expires, and if
            you have not violated the terms of your status and meet the basic
            eligibility requirements, you may continue your previously approved
            activities in the United States (including previously authorized work)
            for a maximum period of 240 days, or until the first of the following
            occurs:
            • We make a decision on your application; or
            • The reason for your requested extension has been
            accomplished.
            If your application for extension is denied after your previously
            approved stay has expired and you are still in the United States, you
            will be considered “out of status” as of the date your original period
            of stay expired. You must cease employment (if such employment
            was authorized) and depart the United States immediately. In
            addition, any nonimmigrant visa in your passport granted in
            connection with your classification becomes void. Once your visa is
            void, you must submit any new visa application at a U.S. consulate
            in your home country (not a third country, except in rare instances
            as determined by the U.S. Department of State).

These tips can help you find what you are looking for: Check the URL (web address) for proper spelling and completeness; Use our

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by donotspam View Post
              You would think someone would take my suggestion about putting a link to the processing time under the B2 extension instead of telling me I shouldn't have bought non refundable hotel reservations which has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand.
              Sir, you have the link now. If the issue about tickets was not related to your post, May I ask why you had to post about it or vent on the forum?

Comment

donotspam,

This forum is meant for giving and taking free help for immigration/visa matters. Try to make best use of it.

If you don't like something about this web site or about this forum, don't use it. No one is forcing you. (Of course, any one is welcome to make any suggestions and we would always look into it seriously. But don't expect anyone to spoon feed you).

However, unnecessarily accusing and arguing with some of the senior members of the forum who have been very helpful and volunteering every day is not right.
                Immihelp Support
                No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Final update:

Visa extension was approved up until the date I requested, which is the original flight date (3 more months).

From the time I mailed the application to receiving the approval, it was approx. 50 days although processing time is listed as 90 days for B2 extension.

I noticed a few discussion exchanges on this thread were deleted. Doesn't matter. I said I would report back and I'm keeping my word.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X