Visa extension for mother-avoiding travel due to her age & and corona scare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa extension for mother-avoiding travel due to her age & and corona scare

My mother who is 81 years has 10 years multiple entry visa. Her 6 month stay in the US expires on 26th March. I was planning to take her back to India on March 21st but with all the Coronavirus scare & looking at her age want to avoid travel for some time & considering an extension for about 3 months.

1- Is it too late to request for 3 months extension?
    2- I know I may not be able to get a decision on-time even if she leaves in 3 months. Will she be considered overstaying if she leaves before any decision?
    3- I will be applying for her GC in the future, don't want any issues due to this situation.

Looking forward to some valuable advice and any experiences you can share.

1. No. As long as they receive it before her status expires it's fine.
    2. She can stay in the US while her application is pending, even if her status expires in the meantime. Her visa will not be voided if she leaves before a decision is made.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rohit, I am also on the same boat. Did you apply for extension? It seems there is a new biometric thing also now. Can you please IM me?

Comment

HI ROhit/Jonnasn,

Am also in a similar situation. Did you apply for the US visa extension?

Comment

Hi, I am also in similar situation, did you apply via online ,if yes can I do it behalf of my mother in law from my online account .
          Regards
          Venki

Comment

Hi everyone! We are also in the same situation with my elderly parents. Trying to get a sense of how long of an extension we should be requesting for. What are you all thinking?

Comment

Hi Rohit. From the conversation, it seems like you applied on March 13th or so. Did you receive biometrics on the next day itself? I am waiting for my application on March 17th.

Comment

Yes, I got Biometrics a day after.

Comment

Originally posted by rohit_2007 View Post
                  My mother who is 81 years has 10 years multiple entry visa. Her 6 month stay in the US expires on 26th March. I was planning to take her back to India on March 21st but with all the Coronavirus scare & looking at her age want to avoid travel for some time & considering an extension for about 3 months.

1- Is it too late to request for 3 months extension?
                  2- I know I may not be able to get a decision on-time even if she leaves in 3 months. Will she be considered overstaying if she leaves before any decision?
                  3- I will be applying for her GC in the future, don't want any issues due to this situation.

Looking forward to some valuable advice and any experiences you can share.
                  Hi Rohit, i have same situation. If possible can you please email me the draft which you sent out for your mom extension? I am in need of urgency. Can you email me at [email protected]

Comment

Hi, I have question since I am looking for Filing B2 extension for parents.Can I file 1539 online form for my mother and mother-in-law from my online account? (b2 extension on behalf of mother and mother and mother-in-law)

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X