Help needed for urgent medical treatment for parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed for urgent medical treatment for parents

Hello guys, this is my first post on this forum.

I need some guidance on taking care of urgent medical treatment for parents.

My friend's dad had some pre-existing condition (some wound in his leg), which got worst with air travel. It got to a stage that he had to be immediately admitted to the hospital and now, doctors are saying that he need to be operated urgently or else he can lose his leg. Dad can not be sent back to India and operated as it'll be too late.

1) My friend got visitor insurance for his parents but since he was unaware of this situation, did not buy insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.
    2) His dad need to be operated urgently and will need min 2-6 weeks of post surgery care.

Questions:
    Since there is surgery and medical care involved, medical expenses would be very high. What are the options to get the medical expenses to the minimum? Has anyone dealt with similar situation?

Thanks.

Originally posted by sada123 View Post
    Hello guys, this is my first post on this forum.

I need some guidance on taking care of urgent medical treatment for parents.

My friend's dad had some pre-existing condition (some wound in his leg), which got worst with air travel. It got to a stage that he had to be immediately admitted to the hospital and now, doctors are saying that he need to be operated urgently or else he can lose his leg. Dad can not be sent back to India and operated as it'll be too late.

1) My friend got visitor insurance for his parents but since he was unaware of this situation, did not buy insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.
    2) His dad need to be operated urgently and will need min 2-6 weeks of post surgery care.

Questions:
    Since there is surgery and medical care involved, medical expenses would be very high. What are the options to get the medical expenses to the minimum? Has anyone dealt with similar situation?

Thanks.

from what I know from having used insurance while traveling. If a treatment is not covered on the insurance plan then you will need to pay out of pocket, if you ask then there's always a possibility that the Dr or hospital will work with you on bills or set up a payment plan. But if something is not covered, then it's not covered unfortunately.
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

At a minimum, have the father be his own guarantor which is the common practice in USA anyways. Apply for aid with the hospital social service unit. Most non-profits have a community help aspect. If the father does have to foot the bill hospital can setup a payment plan for him.

Visitor insurance is BS. They deny most claims anyways. Their definition of pre-existing is laughable.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X