Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Action on outstanding medical bills

Dear Sir,

My father had a heart attack when he was visiting for a few months back in 2005 and he underwent heart surgery and subsequently incurred medical cost of about $ 35,000. Insurance company ICICI Lombard paif about $ 24000 and has not paid the rest $ 11000.

In the meantime the hospital has forwarded the bills to an attorney for collection. The lawyer has made a case in the court and a 'Warrant in debt' summons has come in my father's name (who is in India) now in my address which is in the US.

Please advise as to what our course of action shoud be - hould we start a dialog with the lawyer explaining the sutuation that my father is in India and will not be able to come to the court.

Appreciate your help,

Jaydip

Jaydip,

From what I know, if the person does not respond to the court summons, court can enter default judgment against the defendant (your father) and give a verdict that whatever plaintiff (hospital, collection etc.) is telling is true. If that happens, it would be difficult for your father to visit US next time. And they can even assign the case to people/company in India to collect money from person in India. (I recently heard about this from another customer.)

I suggest you hire an attorney to defend the case (which can actually be very expensive, even more than $11,000 that you owe) or just pay off the balance.

And of course, I suggest you that you buy comprehensive insurance from US based company next time, such as Patriot America, where insurance company does not make partial payments for covered expenses and you are left with huge bill.
    Thanks & Regards
    Insubuy
    Toll Free: (866) INSUBUY
    Local: (972) 985-4400
    Fax: (972) 767-4470

Comment

Legal Action on outstanding medical bills

Thank you, Narendra ji. I will try to do exactly that.

Comment

What was the final resolution?

Just curious to know - How did you manage to resolve this finally?

Comment

How did you resolve the issue - i've same situation - Pls help

Hi Jaydip,

I've the same situation now. I've a unpaid medical bill for my mom and have received the court letter. How did you manage your situation?

Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X