Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you self filed? And how many used an attorney? AOS/G.C through marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you self filed? And how many used an attorney? AOS/G.C through marriage

Ive been living in the USA on an o1b visa and had an immigration attorney compile and submit this application for me. I got married last month, and we plan to apply for an AOS from my o1 visa to permanent status next year. Im just wondering who here has self filed and who used an attorney? And whichever you chose to do, were you happy with your decision? OR wished you had done things differently?

We self filed and we didn’t use no attorney

Comment

I self filed because my husband is deployed, I sent my AOS packet for him to signed then I sent the packet off through USPS.
      10/02/19 AOS Package received.
      11/01/19 Biometrics completed.
      01/22/20 I-765 "Case was approved"
      01/23/20 Form I-485 "Interview was scheduled"
      01/27/20 Interview letter notice.
      01/29/20 EAD Card in hand.
      03/04/20 "Interview completed but my case must be reviewed"
      03/05/20 "New Card is being Produced"

Comment

We used a lawyer for the AOS. While the AOS application is straightforward, we felt like it’s better to be represented by a lawyer say for example the interview does not go well.

Comment

We self filed... just like most people do it by themselves and self file. Using a lawyer should really be reserved for complicated cases or if you had some sort of inadmissibility, denial, or even a criminal background. Then it may turn out to be useful. For most applicants, I believe self filing is adequate.
          --Good luck--
          Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

Well, thats good to hear! Did any of you guys have a consultation with an attorney before attempting the appication? Id never have been able to do my o1b myself - it was 234 pages long!

Comment

Originally posted by PKumar01 View Post
              We self filed... just like most people do it by themselves and self file. Using a lawyer should really be reserved for complicated cases or if you had some sort of inadmissibility, denial, or even a criminal background. Then it may turn out to be useful. For most applicants, I believe self filing is adequate.
              I have to respectfully disagree on your comment about using attorney. We both have busy lives and practically there is very limited time to sit through and fill out pages and pages of applications, I have used an attorney for all my immigration applications until now, having someone experienced look at the application before it is filed gives a lot of peace of mind, in current crazy immigration environment. there are also many grey areas for which the answer choices are not so clear and considering the potential of rejection even with the slightest error - let the experts handle it before filing.

AOS marriage based GC (married to USC). - uncomplicated case, pretty straightforward.

Comment

Hello

We also self-filed; if that is a possible route for you. Go ahead and it will save you lots of money.

See our experience here in the link below.

7. 18. 2017: I130, I131, I485, I864, I765 - Chicago Lockbox: 8. 15. 2017: Biom-Kendall, Florida
                10. 5. 2017: EAD received: 6. 21. 2018: 7. 5. 2018: Interview I797C notice rec’d
                7. 31. 2018: Interview-Kendall, Florida: 7. 31. 2018: Interview success: Imm. I485 approval: 8. 1. 2018: I130 approved
                8. 3. 2018: Card is mailed to me (1485): 8. 8. 2018: 2-yr GC in hand: 6. 6. 2020: ROC: 9. 23. 2020: 10-yr Green Card
                5. 6. 2021: Appl. for Nat.: 8. 16. 2021: Nat. Interview 10. 1. 2021: Oath Cer. Mailed

Comment

Use lawyer if:
                  - you doubt that you can file correctly all the forms
                  - don't have time to read and understand all the requirements
                  - you have the extra money to do it
                  - your case is not a simple one
                  - you want to have someone in your interview
                  - you understand if you missed a form they can deny the application and you have to start again (there is no warranty that the lawyer will not miss anything, like a translation, but must likely you wil only get RFE for that. Not sending one required form can be enough to get your case denied)

Don't use lawyer if:
                  - your case is simple
                  - you want to save money
                  - you have the time to read/understand the requirements
                  - can follow guides in this forum or other sites

There are some services that will review your documents and give you feedback for much less than a lawyer charge. This could be an option too if you decide not to use a lawyer and want someone with some experience to review your information.
                  Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
                  Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
                  Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
                  ---
                  All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Is anyone here filers in illinois / chicago? Its hard to search in the forum seeing as the drop box is located in chicago so it brings up all those results.

Comment

Self filed before and was denied, I felt if we had a lawyer and someone adequately experienced we could have appealed and we’d have been fine. Since my husband was already away and I was here in the US alone with not a clue I did nothing. Now we’re resubmitting and we hired a lawyer. It’s expensive but it’s completely worth it. I have a peace of mind knowing someone experienced is in my corner
                      Marriage AOS (from tourist visa)
                      Received Nov 4th& Priority Date also Nov 4th
                      I130 i485 & work permit (did not apply for travel documents )

Nov 15 received 2 hard copies for NOA
                      Nov 22 Received biometrics appointment Notice
                      Biometrics done, Dec 2nd.

Jan 6 2020 courtesy letter for missing medical (dated Dec 31 2019, mailed Jan 2nd 2020)
                      Ready to be scheduled for interview (Jan 31st 2020)

“Nothing can stop Gods plan for your life” Isaiah 14:27

Comment

I’ve hired a lawyer for my previous O1 visa applications so it only made sense that I hire a lawyer for my AOS. My spouse and I have a simple and straightforward case because we both have excellent public records and our marriage is definitely bonafide, but we hired a lawyer to make the application process (filling out forms, filing, etc) easier and it’s nice to be able to text or call the lawyer if we have any questions. The lawyer will also be present during the interview so if in case the interview goes south, you have someone there to represent you. Our lawyer will continue to represent us up until the removal of the conditional status.

In the end, it’s all up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandgirl93 View Post
                          Self filed before and was denied, I felt if we had a lawyer and someone adequately experienced we could have appealed and we’d have been fine. Since my husband was already away and I was here in the US alone with not a clue I did nothing. Now we’re resubmitting and we hired a lawyer. It’s expensive but it’s completely worth it. I have a peace of mind knowing someone experienced is in my corner
                          I am sorry to read about your experience when you self-filed. Was that due to insufficient evidence, incompletely filled out forms, missing fees, limited convincing evidence to show bonafide marriage, or any other matter? Most definitely whether documents are filled out by lawyers or individuals, the process of completing the form and adhering to all requirements is meticulous but must be strictly followed. Several persons have used lawyers and have been denied for varied reasons, while others have been satisfied that the investment of a few thousand of dollars was well worth it.

For us, Prior to my hubby and I doing our own self-filing we visited an immigration lawyer in Florida. Thankfully he was brutally honest and asked us whether our case was complicated or not with asylum, criminal history etc. As we answered no, he then asked about our professional background (Me-Teacher, Hubs-Federal Employee). He also questioned us about who filled out and submitted my J1 waiver (I did). Then he told us the cost of doing this straightforward, non-chaotic case was ($5,000-$7000) excluding USCIS application fees and immediately advised us to do it on our own. He said 'you guys can definitely do it on your own', just read the forms carefully, so we did and have been successful.

I hope the second time around for you is successful, but even though you are quite confident in your 'experienced' lawyer, please follow-up with him or her and keep abreast of the deadlines, and required documents that USCIS needs. Freely discuss with your lawyer any concerns, anxieties so you can either ask him or her about it but generally keep abreast of what he or she is doing.
                          7. 18. 2017: I130, I131, I485, I864, I765 - Chicago Lockbox: 8. 15. 2017: Biom-Kendall, Florida
                          10. 5. 2017: EAD received: 6. 21. 2018: 7. 5. 2018: Interview I797C notice rec’d
                          7. 31. 2018: Interview-Kendall, Florida: 7. 31. 2018: Interview success: Imm. I485 approval: 8. 1. 2018: I130 approved
                          8. 3. 2018: Card is mailed to me (1485): 8. 8. 2018: 2-yr GC in hand: 6. 6. 2020: ROC: 9. 23. 2020: 10-yr Green Card
                          5. 6. 2021: Appl. for Nat.: 8. 16. 2021: Nat. Interview 10. 1. 2021: Oath Cer. Mailed

Comment

Originally posted by Hotaru-Grace View Post

I am sorry to read about your experience when you self-filed. Was that due to insufficient evidence, incompletely filled out forms, missing fees, limited convincing evidence to show bonafide marriage, or any other matter? Most definitely whether documents are filled out by lawyers or individuals, the process of completing the form and adhering to all requirements is meticulous but must be strictly followed. Several persons have used lawyers and have been denied for varied reasons, while others have been satisfied that the investment of a few thousand of dollars was well worth it.

For us, Prior to my hubby and I doing our own self-filing we visited an immigration lawyer in Florida. Thankfully he was brutally honest and asked us whether our case was complicated or not with asylum, criminal history etc. As we answered no, he then asked about our professional background (Me-Teacher, Hubs-Federal Employee). He also questioned us about who filled out and submitted my J1 waiver (I did). Then he told us the cost of doing this straightforward, non-chaotic case was ($5,000-$7000) excluding USCIS application fees and immediately advised us to do it on our own. He said 'you guys can definitely do it on your own', just read the forms carefully, so we did and have been successful.

I hope the second time around for you is successful, but even though you are quite confident in your 'experienced' lawyer, please follow-up with him or her and keep abreast of the deadlines, and required documents that USCIS needs. Freely discuss with your lawyer any concerns, anxieties so you can either ask him or her about it but generally keep abreast of what he or she is doing.
                            Yes I’m definitely on top of it. And he’s a no nonsense kinda guy. I deliberately waited until November so all the public charge rush was over and this he could give my case the attention it needs. Tbh the denial basically said they needed more commingling of accounts (the banks that were close to us wouldn’t let. We shared apartment so none of the bills were in our names. All in all we were never accused of marriage fraud so that’s a good thing.
                            Marriage AOS (from tourist visa)
                            Received Nov 4th& Priority Date also Nov 4th
                            I130 i485 & work permit (did not apply for travel documents )

Nov 15 received 2 hard copies for NOA
                            Nov 22 Received biometrics appointment Notice
                            Biometrics done, Dec 2nd.

Jan 6 2020 courtesy letter for missing medical (dated Dec 31 2019, mailed Jan 2nd 2020)
                            Ready to be scheduled for interview (Jan 31st 2020)

“Nothing can stop Gods plan for your life” Isaiah 14:27

Comment

Good news about the lawyer. Really happy too that you know the reason for the denial. Please look on this link. below, where we posted our interview experience and all the documents, comingling docs, that we had. We are presently getting ready to put our documents together for the removal of condition in 2020 and already we are reviewing the documents we have accumulated after the interview that will continue to prove our devotion to each other. Best of luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X