Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Card interview experience (AOS based on marriage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card interview experience (AOS based on marriage)

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share my Green Card interview experience since this forum has been very helpful throughout my application process, and hopefully I can help someone else as well.

The interview was pretty short, it took about 10 minutes. The lady officer was extremely serious. She called us, walked us in her office, we sworn "to tell the truth and nothing but truth" type of thing. Then she read our address from the papers and asked us if we still live there - we moved a month ago, we told her our new address. She asked if we have a lease for the new place, I gave her the lease, she looked at it and asked "who is this person" - for the landlord's name... Then she asked where did we meet, she asked for mine and my parents' first names, where I'm from and if I have a job. She also asked where did we get married, if I was interviewed at the embassy in my country and whether was my husband interviewed there. Next was the evidence of our marriage: I gave her pictures, a bank statement of our joint account, car insurance paper with both our names, the tax return copies for 2010 (we filed jointly even though I didn't have an income in the US last year). Looking at the pictures she asked who the people were in one of the pictures (it was my sister and her newborn baby with the two of us, the photo was taken when my husband was in my home country last summer before we came here together). Then she asked if there are any pictures with his family, I showed her one of me with my sister-in-law's kids when I was babysitting them. She asked who witnessed our wedding, we told her my husband's parents and we showed her a picture of us getting married at the courthouse - we didn't have a wedding ceremony and I think she found that a little weird, she asked if went to eat somewhere afterwards (we can't afford a wedding and actually even if we could, I wouldn't want to have one because I believe it's a waste of money). Then she asked my husband about his job (full or part time), and asked me if there is any more evidence material, I told her I also brought holiday cards sent to us, she didn't say nothing at all and didn't even look at it. She told us that's all the questions she has for us and that she will make a decision after looking at the papers and we'll get a notice in the mail in 2-3 weeks.

To me and my husband it seems like the interview didn't go all that good. I don't know if we expected something else or maybe it was just her seriousness and attitude, but it just felt weird. The only thing we can do now is hope for the best and try to prepare for the worst. Again, thank you everyone who helped me with answers to my questions the past few months, it's much appreciated God bless!

thank you for your experience jasna..our interview is in a couple weeks..eek! it seems like you guys did just fine congrats!

Comment

No problem! Good luck on your interview!

BTW I just checked my e-mail, I got an update on my AOS case from the USCIS..and it seems like I got approved lol It says they ordered a card/document production and I should get it in the mail in 30 days, yayyy! I feel relieved..and like I'll finally start living again haha

Good luck to everyone!

Comment

thank you and yay congrats! yea temme about it.. we cannot wait to get this process over with! btw, did you take an attorney with you?

Comment

No, we didn't hire one at all. I did all of the paperwork myself, just following the instructions and researching online. I don't think it matters whether you have an attorney, as long as the application is done right. So in my opinion if you already got to the interview - there isn't a reason to hire an attorney now, unless it's a delicate case.

Comment

thank you for your prompt response. we have not seeked legal help and dont intend to either.. sometimes there are horror stories of interviews online. so far things have been really smooth

Comment

i-485 interview

Hello, I recently applied for adjustment of status in feb and I have recieved a letter for the interview on May 11th 2011. I have been married to a US citizen for approx 6 months now and I came here on a "student visa" which has been expired since the end of 2006. In other words I have been out of status since then, I have been working with my own SSN which I had recieved before I fell out of status. I have been very honest in my application about my work history and they have all the information about where,when and how long I have worked. I havent been employed since I got married. We have not hired a lawyer to go to the interview with us. Anyone think we should hire a lawyer?

Comment

Originally posted by jojominty View Post
                Hello, I recently applied for adjustment of status in feb and I have recieved a letter for the interview on May 11th 2011. I have been married to a US citizen for approx 6 months now and I came here on a "student visa" which has been expired since the end of 2006. In other words I have been out of status since then, I have been working with my own SSN which I had recieved before I fell out of status. I have been very honest in my application about my work history and they have all the information about where,when and how long I have worked. I havent been employed since I got married. We have not hired a lawyer to go to the interview with us. Anyone think we should hire a lawyer?
                There is no need for one, since you have been honest, you will not be penalize for unathourized work, since you are married to a citizen unlike if you were adjusting on work visa(EB1, EB2, EB3 etc). Overstaying your visa is not an issue just make sure that you don't have any other eligibility problem and don't leave the country(* even with an advance parole or else the 10years bar rule will apply to you).
                Goodluck.
                Lionofafrica.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasna View Post
                  Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share my Green Card interview experience since this forum has been very helpful throughout my application process, and hopefully I can help someone else as well.

The interview was pretty short, it took about 10 minutes. The lady officer was extremely serious. She called us, walked us in her office, we sworn "to tell the truth and nothing but truth" type of thing. Then she read our address from the papers and asked us if we still live there - we moved a month ago, we told her our new address. She asked if we have a lease for the new place, I gave her the lease, she looked at it and asked "who is this person" - for the landlord's name... Then she asked where did we meet, she asked for mine and my parents' first names, where I'm from and if I have a job. She also asked where did we get married, if I was interviewed at the embassy in my country and whether was my husband interviewed there. Next was the evidence of our marriage: I gave her pictures, a bank statement of our joint account, car insurance paper with both our names, the tax return copies for 2010 (we filed jointly even though I didn't have an income in the US last year). Looking at the pictures she asked who the people were in one of the pictures (it was my sister and her newborn baby with the two of us, the photo was taken when my husband was in my home country last summer before we came here together). Then she asked if there are any pictures with his family, I showed her one of me with my sister-in-law's kids when I was babysitting them. She asked who witnessed our wedding, we told her my husband's parents and we showed her a picture of us getting married at the courthouse - we didn't have a wedding ceremony and I think she found that a little weird, she asked if went to eat somewhere afterwards (we can't afford a wedding and actually even if we could, I wouldn't want to have one because I believe it's a waste of money). Then she asked my husband about his job (full or part time), and asked me if there is any more evidence material, I told her I also brought holiday cards sent to us, she didn't say nothing at all and didn't even look at it. She told us that's all the questions she has for us and that she will make a decision after looking at the papers and we'll get a notice in the mail in 2-3 weeks.

To me and my husband it seems like the interview didn't go all that good. I don't know if we expected something else or maybe it was just her seriousness and attitude, but it just felt weird. The only thing we can do now is hope for the best and try to prepare for the worst. Again, thank you everyone who helped me with answers to my questions the past few months, it's much appreciated God bless!
                  Hi! I just wanted to thank you for posting such detailed story of what happened during your interview. We are awaiting our turn -and we still have not received any notification. We applied in May of 2013. Thanks again.

Comment

Grandma

Hay so u r interview was in may and what location was it did u get any response yet... Waiting for reply

Comment

Adjustment of Status Experience

Just want to thank all the members in this forum who shared their stories good or bad just keep the faith. My journey started on May 15 and ended on August 8th. Came on a busness visit in 2011 got met my wife in january 2012 and got married june 2012 Sent package on may 15th 2013, almost one yr after getting married sent in i130,i485,i765 and two i864 one from my wife and the other from a co-sponsor since my wife was jobless for the whole process and we lived in a low income housing. May 17th chicago lock box received the package received a text notification received receipt notice a week later. May 25th received biometrics appointment it was super fast 15 mins. July 3rd I485 interview letter was sent waited for 2 weeks and didnt receive it something strange happened the post office had returned the letter i panicked but wife told me to calm down which i did she took all correspondence we received initially and went to the field office and they printed out the letter from their system although i kept calling the 1800 number so they can send the letter again they never did. My interview was scheduled for agaust 8th tried to prepare as best as we could, only had pics, of day life together and a joint bank account with activity history on it. The truth is you can only provide what you have what ever you dont have do not worry about it the documents you have just arrange them neatly and presentable do not forge no documents else you will be in hot water. Interview was slated for 9 am got there at 8-30 waited for 3 hours before we were called in i thought they had forgotten about us lol. The IO was young and nice though he looked serious i kept smiling do not show signs of been nervous like looking serious its not a do or die affair they just want to confirm if what you say on your application is true. We were not seperated either though my country has a bad reputation with USCIS. Back to the interview question he only asked my wife question such as my birth date when we met and where and where am going to be staying in the usa and turned to asking me the yes no question in all it took about 5 mins and he asked for pics and what ever we had together which i gave him and he took three of the pictures and the bank information and told us we were done, he said he did meet us in the waiting area came out waited a little and called us to the window and told me we would receive the green card in 2 weeks he took my i94 and work authorization card. i didnt believe him because of the horror stories i heard prior to the interview later that afternoon received a notice that the i485 was approved the following day i130 was approved and a notice was sent regarding this one week later welcome to America was receieved in the mail and the approval notice a green card receievd 2 weeks after interview through priority mail. in all it took me 2.5 months for the process still cant believe am a resident now GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jojominty View Post

Hello,
                        Hiring lawyer will be waste of money and time ,filing applcation took from me 2 days to make it complete .we send our application on August 4th ,Got my biomtric on Septmeber 3rd and recieved a notice on october 27th for our interview to be Dec 2nd , we went and had interview for almost 45 mins ,officer was nice ,questions are simple no big deal and then she asked what we got to show her so we did give her some photos of us which she kept them and she took copies of our bank statments and other stuff ...in the end she said that case is approved and we should recieve green card in 2 weeks yesterday i was so happy because eveything went fine although i was so scard because i never saw a positive comments about interviews that's why i'm sharing my experice ..

Comment

Originally posted by Jasna View Post
                          No problem! Good luck on your interview!

BTW I just checked my e-mail, I got an update on my AOS case from the USCIS..and it seems like I got approved lol It says they ordered a card/document production and I should get it in the mail in 30 days, yayyy! I feel relieved..and like I'll finally start living again haha

Good luck to everyone!

wow that's amazing im starting my process now this story is good to hear

Comment

Advice needed!

Hello all!

I need some motivation to continue this crap I am totally sad and depressed. Here goes my story. I submitted my application for AOS through marriage in Aug 2014 and got biometric stuff done six month after that. But I have been waiting for almost two years to hear back form USCIS. So finally they sent me a letter for an interview at Dec.8th 2015 and I should say it was the hardest/longest interview I have ever had/heard. It was 4.5 hours filling one complete afternoon!!!

They basically asked me everything that you might imagine. They even ask the name of my friends in my country who are still in touch with me. They separated us from the beginning and we answered like 30 questions. Our answers were very close and the officer said we did well on that. And then she cam recorded my oath two times from different views. I totally felt like a criminal! The officer seemed to be very suspicious and never believed any word I said until I showed her documentation. We had:

1- An album full of a lot of pictures
                            2- Joint lease for two years
                            3- Many mails to the same address for span of two years
                            4- Separate bank accounts, IDs etc with the same last name and same address
                            5- Joint utility bill
                            6- 1500 pages printout of all emails that me and my wife have had during these two years

But the officer was asking for more documents!!!

I have been waiting for interview for about two years and then at the end of this long stupid interview they didn't announce any decision and the officer said first I need to redo my physical (medical) because it is expired!!!! So I need to pay another $360 for the thing that is not my fault. Where is the justice???

Please help me with some advice! Thank you all

Comment

Originally posted by so_sad_to_choose_a_name View Post
                              Hello all!

I need some motivation to continue this crap I am totally sad and depressed. Here goes my story. I submitted my application for AOS through marriage in Aug 2014 and got biometric stuff done six month after that. But I have been waiting for almost two years to hear back form USCIS. So finally they sent me a letter for an interview at Dec.8th 2015 and I should say it was the hardest/longest interview I have ever had/heard. It was 4.5 hours filling one complete afternoon!!!

They basically asked me everything that you might imagine. They even ask the name of my friends in my country who are still in touch with me. They separated us from the beginning and we answered like 30 questions. Our answers were very close and the officer said we did well on that. And then she cam recorded my oath two times from different views. I totally felt like a criminal! The officer seemed to be very suspicious and never believed any word I said until I showed her documentation. We had:

1- An album full of a lot of pictures
                              2- Joint lease for two years
                              3- Many mails to the same address for span of two years
                              4- Separate bank accounts, IDs etc with the same last name and same address
                              5- Joint utility bill
                              6- 1500 pages printout of all emails that me and my wife have had during these two years

But the officer was asking for more documents!!!

I have been waiting for interview for about two years and then at the end of this long stupid interview they didn't announce any decision and the officer said first I need to redo my physical (medical) because it is expired!!!! So I need to pay another $360 for the thing that is not my fault. Where is the justice???

Please help me with some advice! Thank you all
                              I have two questions, what country are you from and where is your petitioner from? if you are from middle east or pakistan/india then that rite there is a red flag. Let the immigration do there thing. They are probably running security checks ect. As long as your marriage is real, you dont have to worry. How come you never had a joint account with your spouse? also your lease? did'nt they ask for them.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X