Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time does it take for response to Re-Entry Permit Application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theAviator View Post

Just saw on USCIS Case Status website that as of 3/17 they applied fingerprints from a past I-131 application (from 2013 as I recall) so I'm assuming no in-person biometrics will be needed. Here is the exact message:

Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken

As of March 17, 2021, fingerprints relating to your Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, Receipt Number LIN###, have been applied to your case. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.
    Re-entry permit approved for my mom Aug 12th 2021.

Here is the timeline:

Resident of Chicago, IL and case processed by USCIS Nebraska Service Center.

Sent I-131: Nov 19, 2020
    USCIS Receipt Date: Nov 23, 2020
    Applied old biometrics: March 17, 2021
    Notice of Action Date: August 12, 2021

Received Re-entry permit in separate envelope at same time as notice of action. Took about 34 weeks (8.5 months) end-to-end. Per USCIS processing times website, NSC takes about 8 Months to 10 Months to process such a case (PR applying for a re-entry permit). Hopefully, this helps everybody else that is waiting.
    Last edited by theAviator; 08-21-2021, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iprasla View Post

Which service center did you file the application? Did you get a paper notice that your previous Biometric is valid for current application, and you are no longer needed to give biometric?

On the side note, if one leave soon after Biometric, when extactly the two year period starts ticking - the day you leave after Biometric OR after the application is approved (in which case one technically stayed longer than 2 years

I just filed my application at Nebraska Service Center with a receipt date of June 8 2021.
      The two year period starts the day you leave United States. As far as how long you can stay outside, it's a bit of a grey area because if you leave earlier than the permit issuance date then you could technically stay outside the country for more than 2 years and the re-entry permit will still be valid upon your return. Not really sure how CBP treats this scenario at port of entry.

Comment

Originally posted by sp9239 View Post
        "As of June 11, 2021, fingerprints relating to your Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, Receipt Number LINxxxxxxxx, have been applied to your case. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address"

I saw above update today about my case. I am not sure what it means.
        Does it mean they completed my Fingerprint application and will mail a notice to do a Biometric or they used my previous Fingerprints from previous I-131 that I filed two years ago?

Anyone has any idea let me know...

sp9239
        That means they used your biometrics that they have on file from a previous application. You will not need to go in for biometrics again.

Comment

My timeline was almost the same. Sent form for re-entry in November 2020, biometrics were taken from my previous fingerprints in March 2021, recieved notice of approval in August 2021. My concern is they gave me the permit for 1 year, not for 2. I am trying to figure out what to do. It's my second re-entry permit.
          Last edited by mylovely; 09-04-2021, 06:58 AM.

Comment

I sent in my application on the first week of December 2020. Got the biometric notification but still no further notification till today ????

Comment

Shankar Chowk please, where is your service Centre?

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty56 View Post
                Shankar Chowk please, where is your service Centre?
                Nebraska

Comment

Originally posted by mylovely View Post
                  My timeline was almost the same. Sent form for re-entry in November 2020, biometrics were taken from my previous fingerprints in March 2021, recieved notice of approval in August 2021. My concern is they gave me the permit for 1 year, not for 2. I am trying to figure out what to do. It's my second re-entry permit.
                  This is exactly what I've been worrying about. Because the processing is taking so long, could that make the validity period of the reentry permit shorter?
                  mylovely Can you think of any other reason that your permit is valid only for 1 year?
                  theAviator How was your mom's? Was it valid for one or two years? Was this her second reentry permit?
                  Any others also in a situation where they got only one year in their second permit?

I applied for my second one in June 2021, fingerprint reused, and I am already back abroad because of my work. I have planned my work with the assumption that my second permit will last for another two years (meaning until the summer of 2023), but if it is issued 8-9 months after my application with the validity of one year from that point, that will certainly mess up my work plans...

For the first one, I applied in April 2019, went abroad in July 2019, and was issued in August 2019 (meaning, it was valid until August 2021).

Comment

Originally posted by mylovely View Post
                    USCIS has clear rules on Re-entry permit validity. Please read about it on their website. If a green card holder has spent more than four years total outside of the US since becoming a green card holder (or during the last five years, whichever is less), then the reentry permit will be issued with 1-year validity term. Otherwise, for folks who have spent time outside of the US less than four years since becoming a green card holder (or during the last five years, whichever is less), the reentry permit validity term will be the default of two years.

Comment

Originally posted by aygul3 View Post

This is exactly what I've been worrying about. Because the processing is taking so long, could that make the validity period of the reentry permit shorter?
                      mylovely Can you think of any other reason that your permit is valid only for 1 year?
                      theAviator How was your mom's? Was it valid for one or two years? Was this her second reentry permit?
                      Any others also in a situation where they got only one year in their second permit?

I applied for my second one in June 2021, fingerprint reused, and I am already back abroad because of my work. I have planned my work with the assumption that my second permit will last for another two years (meaning until the summer of 2023), but if it is issued 8-9 months after my application with the validity of one year from that point, that will certainly mess up my work plans...

For the first one, I applied in April 2019, went abroad in July 2019, and was issued in August 2019 (meaning, it was valid until August 2021).
                      This would be her 3rd re-entry permit. The last one was issued in 2015 and she also has not been outside of the US for more than 4 years during the last 5-year period.

If, since becoming a GC holder, you have not been outside of the country for more than 4 years (add up all the trips, not consecutive) in the last 5 year period then you should get a permit with 2-year validity. I'm not sure what happens if it hasn't been 4 years since you became a GC holder and are applying for your 2nd permit, you may still get a permit with 2-year validity.

Comment

This would be her 3rd re-entry permit. The last one was issued in 2015 and she also has not been outside of the US for more than 4 years during the last 5-year period.

If, since becoming a GC holder, you have not been outside of the country for more than 4 years (add up all the trips, not consecutive) in the last 5 year period then you should get a permit with 2-year validity. I'm not sure what happens if it hasn't been 4 years since you became a GC holder and are applying for your 2nd permit, you may still get a permit with 2-year validity.
                        She already said "I applied for my second one", But she got a permit for only 1 year validity.

Comment

Which service center did you file the application? Did you get a paper notice that your previous Biometric is valid for current application, and you are no longer needed to give biometric?

On the side note, if one leave soon after Biometric, when extactly the two year period starts ticking - the day you leave after Biometric OR after the application is approved (in which case one technically stayed longer than 2 years

I just filed my application at Nebraska Service Center with a receipt date of June 8 2021.
                          Received notice for biometrics for Dec 7. How soon can we expect to receive approval notice after biometrics? Thanks!

Comment

I filed at Nebraska service center and it still shows the previous Biometric has been applied to the case.
                            However, I am outside of USA since I applied for my second permit. If nothing comes through do I have to return before 1 year since I left USA in 2021/

Comment

The notice date for my re-entry permit is 07/22/21. Also, they mentioned that previous biometrics will be applied.
                              The processing center is 'Nebraska'.

How soon can I expect my re-entry permit? Please advise.

Comment

Received Re-entry permit in separate envelope at same time as notice of action. Took about 34 weeks (8.5 months) end-to-end. Per USCIS processing times website, NSC takes about 8 Months to 10 Months to process such a case (PR applying for a re-entry permit). Hopefully, this helps everybody else that is waiting.
                                My application for re-entry permit is pending since 07/01/2021 at NSC. It's been 10+ months now.

When I see the case processing times, I see ONLY 'refugee travel document' and 'advance parole' timelines. There is NO mention of 're-entry permit' timelines. Any reason for this?

Also, looking at the timelines can any here, please help me with approximate time for my re-entry application to be processed?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nebraska Processing Time.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	782215

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X