Dual Citizenship Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Citizenship Implementation

There has been much hype about dual citizenship, does anyone know what is the status on this implementation?

Last I checked at the London High Commission they were quite oblivious to the fact that such a thing actually existed!

It is not going to be exactly 'dual citizenship'. It is going to be 'Overseas Citizen of India' or OCI.

That is pretty similar to PIO card already exists, except that it will be valid for life instead of 15 years.

First OCI card will be given on Jan 26, 2006 by prime minister Manmohan Singh.

We will publish more details on our website very soon.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

prime minister Manmohan Desai?

I guess u meant Manmohan Singh. Not trying to split the hairs but seemed funny.
      Also major advantage is you do not have to register if u decide to stay longer than 6 months in India.

Comment

Sorry, too busy on Monday morning!
        Immihelp Support

Comment

Thanks for the info - does that signify that we can apply now or do we have to wait for the PMs presentation to formally allow the rest of us to apply?

Comment

You can apply now. Read /oci-card/
            Immihelp Support

Comment

Minor Children

Thank you for the answers, Immihelp, may I ask a few more since it is practically impossible to get any info out of London HC?

What is the definition of minor- as I have two children 14 and 17 - could I call them minor?

Would you advise me sending my passports by post as they might get lost in the same High Comm.

They say payment of the amount has to be made - but do they accept cheques, or credit card payments or does it have to be a Draft? The problem is if the draft is not the right amount then it will have to be cancelled and redone again - hence a waste of time and a lot of money as UK drafts are very expensive.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

1. minor - under 18.
                2. Use the postal system where you can track. Preferably private couriers.
                3. Demand draft.
                Immihelp Support

Comment

Earlier Visa Requirement question

One more question immihelp:

I do not have an Indian visa of any duration on my new british passport and the same with my children... Is it possible to get a overseas indian citizenship without having any other Indian visa on the british passport? Somebody gave me the vague impression that I would need at least a six month visa which I used first to get an OIC. But this would cost a lot of money in terms of travel etc.

So what is the rule?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X