Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working in the cannabis industry in Colorado while in the Naturalization process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working in the cannabis industry in Colorado while in the Naturalization process

Hi, I have a friend that's about to become a citizen. He filled out the NR400 and just got his biometrics appointment scheduled. He lives in Colorado and is considering working for the cannabis industry. It is completely legal to do so in Colorado. However, marijuana is still federally illegal, and he's worried that if he were to get a job doing marketing for a company in the cannabis industry, that USCIS would bar him from becoming a citizen.

Can working in the MJ industry in Colorado while still under green card status stop him from becoming a citizen?

Thanks!

Originally posted by swim View Post
    Hi, I have a friend that's about to become a citizen. He filled out the NR400 and just got his biometrics appointment scheduled. He lives in Colorado and is considering working for the cannabis industry. It is completely legal to do so in Colorado. However, marijuana is still federally illegal, and he's worried that if he were to get a job doing marketing for a company in the cannabis industry, that USCIS would bar him from becoming a citizen.

Can working in the MJ industry in Colorado while still under green card status stop him from becoming a citizen?

Thanks!
    That is a very good question. I honestly don't know, but I would think that if I wanted citizenship, I would avoid this job for now.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks!
      So I don't know and I would say to talk to a lawyer, but my guess is that yes, it can. Because on the citizenship form it asks if you have ever committed a crime for which you have not been arrested and marijuana possession is a federal crime (Idk if he would ever touch the marijuana or anything, I know you said marketing, but he should think about that) and so is the sale of marijuana. So I think he would have to answer 'yes', especially if he has to show his employment??? I don't really know all the laws surrounding marijuana. I don't know if advertising it is a crime, and I don't know what kind of marketing job he would have, BUT I think they could very easily say that he is violating federal law in some way.

I mean, definitely talk to a lawyer but personally I think that would be a very stupid risk to take.

This is just purely my knee jerk reaction because I honestly don't know about about the laws or industry.
      2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
      4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
      4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
      4/19: Request to expedite EAD
      5/11: Received EAD
      6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
      8/09: Advance Parole approved
      8/29: Scheduled for Interview
      10/11: Interview
      10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
      10/16: Sent new G28
      10/19: Approved!

Comment

I am sure that people who work in the green card are required to skip it because it works in a legal job. Yes, it may be a small hindrance, but I think it can be safely resolved through the authorities. My friend had a similar situation. She worked here weedsmart and had a green card. As a result, she still became a us citizen and she had absolutely no problems with this since she worked at a completely legal job. If you still need more information, I can ask her some specific questions. Contact me, I will be happy to help!
        Last edited by DianaPowell; 12-03-2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

swim - Read this - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...enship-n991341
          ​​​​​​​

Thanks!

Comment

It seems very interesting and cool. I would also like such a thing, although I realize that it is difficult. I generally often use marijuana to relax and I order marijuana seeds from the internet because in this way it is much cheaper and easier. Especially after I found seedsman coupon for marijuana seed orders, I realized that it is very profitable and I decided to make the most of it. I also told my friends about such options and they liked the idea, so we always order online together and it turns out to be even more profitable.
            Last edited by wallaby; 04-06-2021, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I am not a layer, but in my opinion, he should find another job until getting citizenship.
              Even though I have nothing against marijuana products and I consider that it would be right to legalize marijuana all around the world, in his case, it would be better to avoid such a job.
              In Canada, marijuana is legalized, and I think it is right.
              I use it for relaxing and stress relief, and I would say that marijuana is perfect for such purposes.

Comment

Working...
              X