Spouse of H1-B (wasn't it H4?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spouse of H1-B (wasn't it H4?)

There seems to have been some changes around dependent VISA application. Can someone point me towards a reliable source?

This is my situation:
    I am in currently in US on a valid H1-B (stamped) visa. I will visit India in a few months for my marriage. My wife (fiance, now) will be accompanying me on the way back to US - this is the intent, at least. What procedure do I follow for her VISA? My H1-B is valid for at least a year, so I suppose *I* don't have to visit the US consulate, am I right? Who is the primary applicant here - me or her?

Thanks for the help.

She will have to apply for H4 Visa and it will be her application. But, in places where it asks for primary or principal, she will have to mention your name. If it asks for petitioner, that will be your employer. It does not matter that you are not applying for the Visa along with her.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks kabkaba for the quick response.

Do I need to visit the US consulate? Do I need to apply for anything for myself? Or is it only her who has to visit the US consulate?

Does my company need to provide any document (some kind of "approval") for her?

Why does this USTravelDocs web site not list H4? Although, this page does mention H4.

What does this mean?
      "..the spouse and unmarried, minor children of an applicant under for any of the above types of visas may also apply for the same type of visa in order to accompany or join the principal applicant."

Thanks for the help. It seems a bit confusing. Would you happen to have a stepwise process for the H4?

Comment

You need not apply your own Visa with her and that means no interview either.

You are confusing yourself unnecessarily by reading multiple sources.

Comment

Thanks again, kabkaba.

Is this the right procedure?

And I suppose, I / she will get an option to choose / pick / specify H4 while filling out the DS-160 form, am I right?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Thanks kabkaba...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X