Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name change in Passport and H1B / H1 / B1 visa

Hi,

I've my passport with valid B1 and H1 visas in it. I've made travels on B1 visa but yet to travel in H1. I might travel in 2 months or later.
    Today, now I want to renew my passport with a major name change. This change is not because of marriage. This is for a male application.

Ex : Present name in passport : Ram Gopal.
    Name in new passport : Ram Gopal Varma.

So, I've both B1 and H1 visa with name "Ram Gopal" as it is in my old passport.

So, if I get my name changed/updated in new passport, how can I get the name changed in visas as well?
    Or is OK even if the names in visa are not changed? Is it sufficient if I carry both the passports with supporting name change documents like paper advertisement?
    Last edited by venukbh; 01-29-2015, 04:04 AM.

Originally posted by venukbh View Post
    Hi,

I've my passport with valid B1 and H1 visas in it. I've made travels on B1 visa but yet to travel in H1. I might travel in 2 months or later.
    Today, now I want to renew my passport with a major name change. This change is not because of marriage. This is for a male application.

So, if I get my name changed/updated in new passport, how can I get the name changed in visas as well?
    Or is OK even if the names in visa are not changed? Is it sufficient if I carry both the passports with supporting name change documents like paper advertisement?
    You should be fine. Carry both passport and marriage certificate. If asked a question you can produce a marriage certificate.

Usually girls change the name. First time i am seeing guy changing name post marriage. Are you male or female i just want to know to clear the confusion

Comment

Thanks for the response. Any how it does not provide proper solution to my question. Moreover, I clearly mentioned that the name change is for male application and that too not because of a marriage.

Originally posted by mehta_agm1979 View Post
      You should be fine. Carry both passport and marriage certificate. If asked a question you can produce a marriage certificate.

Usually girls change the name. First time i am seeing guy changing name post marriage. Are you male or female i just want to know to clear the confusion

Comment

I raised the same question with US Embassy and they responded as follows.

Question:
        I've my passport with valid B1 and H1 visas in it. I've made travels on B1 visa but yet to travel in H1. I might travel in 2 months or later. Today, now I want to renew my passport with a major name change. This change is not because of marriage. This is for a male application.
        So, I've both B1 and H1 visa with name "Ram Gopal" as it is in my old passport. So, if I get my name changed/updated in new passport, how can I get the name changed in visas as well? Is it OK even if the names in visa are not changed? Is it sufficient if I carry both the passports with supporting name change documents like paper advertisement?
        Please respond and help me.

Regards,
        YYYY

Response:
        Dear YYYY ,

Thank you for writing to the U.S. Visa Service Desk. We understand that you would like to know regarding name change in the passport. Please note, if your visa is valid and unmarked or undamaged, you may travel with both the two passports together (old and new), if the purpose of his travel matches current non immigrant visa. Also, the name and other personal data must be the same in both passports (unless the name change was due to marriage), and both passports must be from the same country and of the same type (i.e., both tourist passports and both diplomatic passports).

The name in the new passport and the visa should be the same to travel to U.S. else he may need to apply for a new visa with his new passport.

We hope this answers your queries.

Have a pleasant day!

Yours sincerely,
        U.S. Visa Service Desk

Thanks for the response. Any how it does not provide proper solution to my question. Moreover, I clearly mentioned that the name change is for male application and that too not because of a marriage.

Comment

Reg contact

Hi venkubh

i have a similar problem. I hold a valid c1 visa with name RAVITEJA as it was in my old passport which was incorrect.

I corrected it to RAVI TEJA but my US visa says RAVITEJA according to my old passport.

I am trying to contact US VISA service desk for this query but am getting only auto replies and no response.

Can u pls advise me on the issue and also can u give the contact email from where u got the response.

Thanks

Comment

reg contact

Hi,

Hi venkubh

i have a similar problem. I hold a valid c1 visa with name RAVITEJA as it was in my old passport which was incorrect.

I corrected it to RAVI TEJA but my US visa says RAVITEJA according to my old passport.

I am trying to contact US VISA service desk for this query but am getting only auto replies and no response.

Can u pls advise me on the issue and also can u give the contact email from where u got the response.

Thanks

Comment

Hi venkubh

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X