Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 221g for H1B visa on Nov 29, 2018 at Ottawa, Canada

Hi,

Bottom line on Top: I appeared for my H1B visa interview on Nov 29, 2018 and got 221g blue form. Anyone on the same boat or has been on one previously?

Here's what happened:

I was asked to provide the passport, I-797, & DS-160 . I was asked a few questions on my company, education etc. and within 2 min, the VO told me that my visa is approved. I was happy and asked her how long would it take for the passport to be ready. To which she replied 3-4 days.

Then, she started looking at the screen and asked me about my transition from being a PhD student to MS. I've 2 MS degree and she got confused as why I didn't publish anything if I were a PhD student. I explained to her that my research wasn't advanced enough for a publication but she wasn't convinced. She asked for my resume and didn't see PhD being mentioned there. I showed her my i-20s which indicate the PhD and MS details but still not convinced. Finally, she gave me a 221g and checked the box 'Further administrative processing'.

I wasn't asked to submit anything. I was told that they would reach out to me in 2 weeks. Good thing is that I am attending a research conference in Montreal until Dec 10th so I've a place to stay but after that, I really don't know!

I think it's a simple case of the VO getting confused between the transition (PhD to MS). I've read a few other posts about the time it takes and I got a notion that it's between 1 week to 40 days!

I'd be more than happy to talk to someone who's gone through this in Ottawa or any other consulate. Any comment/ help is welcome

Originally posted by ShMW View Post
    Hi,

Bottom line on Top: I appeared for my H1B visa interview on Nov 29, 2018 and got 221g blue form. Anyone on the same boat or has been on one previously?

Here's what happened:

I was asked to provide the passport, I-797, & DS-160 . I was asked a few questions on my company, education etc. and within 2 min, the VO told me that my visa is approved. I was happy and asked her how long would it take for the passport to be ready. To which she replied 3-4 days.

Then, she started looking at the screen and asked me about my transition from being a PhD student to MS. I've 2 MS degree and she got confused as why I didn't publish anything if I were a PhD student. I explained to her that my research wasn't advanced enough for a publication but she wasn't convinced. She asked for my resume and didn't see PhD being mentioned there. I showed her my i-20s which indicate the PhD and MS details but still not convinced. Finally, she gave me a 221g and checked the box 'Further administrative processing'.

I wasn't asked to submit anything. I was told that they would reach out to me in 2 weeks. Good thing is that I am attending a research conference in Montreal until Dec 10th so I've a place to stay but after that, I really don't know!

I think it's a simple case of the VO getting confused between the transition (PhD to MS). I've read a few other posts about the time it takes and I got a notion that it's between 1 week to 40 days!

I'd be more than happy to talk to someone who's gone through this in Ottawa or any other consulate. Any comment/ help is welcome

I am in similar boat as far as visa is concerned, but very different family situation with my husband and kids in Ottawa with me. I am summarizing my details below. I would encourage everyone with 221g in Ottawa to post their case as it provides some visibility.

1) Interview date & Time: 20th November 2018

2. Case created / Status update: Created: 16th November 2018, Updated: 20th November 2018

3. # of working days so far: 11 days (after response was sent)

4. Consulate kept any docs : None

5. Consulate kept Passport : No

6. VO comment: You have exhausted 6 years on H1B. I need to see your I-140.

7. Color of 221g : Yellow

8. Any other info would like to share: I kept telling her that my 6 years on H1B were not exhausted. She insisted that she needed to see my I-140 to see whether my petition is valid. My attorney sent her a response summarizing that I have been on H1B from 10/01/2013 and was on H4 for 6 months. He also showed that I traveled many times in and out of the US and that my petition validity date of June 2020 should make sense. The response was sent on November 22, 2018

9. Still in CANADA ?? Yes

Comment

Originally posted by anmolwrites View Post
      I am in similar boat as far as visa is concerned, but very different family situation with my husband and kids in Ottawa with me. I am summarizing my details below. I would encourage everyone with 221g in Ottawa to post their case as it provides some visibility.

1) Interview date & Time: 20th November 2018

2. Case created / Status update: Created: 16th November 2018, Updated: 20th November 2018

3. # of working days so far: 11 days (after response was sent)

4. Consulate kept any docs : None

5. Consulate kept Passport : No

6. VO comment: You have exhausted 6 years on H1B. I need to see your I-140.

7. Color of 221g : Yellow

8. Any other info would like to share: I kept telling her that my 6 years on H1B were not exhausted. She insisted that she needed to see my I-140 to see whether my petition is valid. My attorney sent her a response summarizing that I have been on H1B from 10/01/2013 and was on H4 for 6 months. He also showed that I traveled many times in and out of the US and that my petition validity date of June 2020 should make sense. The response was sent on November 22, 2018

9. Still in CANADA ?? Yes
      ---
      Thanks Anmol,

I checked a few other blogs and seems like the waiting time is anywhere between 2 weeks to 2 months. I hope it gets sorted out sooner. What's the status message for your case? For my case, it say that "If your visa application is approved when administrative processing is finished, you will receive notification to collect the passport with the visa". My passport wasn't even taken. This opaque process is pathetic.

Comment

---
        Thanks Anmol,

I checked a few other blogs and seems like the waiting time is anywhere between 2 weeks to 2 months. I hope it gets sorted out sooner. What's the status message for your case? For my case, it say that "If your visa application is approved when administrative processing is finished, you will receive notification to collect the passport with the visa". My passport wasn't even taken. This opaque process is pathetic.
        As you correctly said, the process is really opaque. If they gave some estimate of the timeline, few people would complain.
        My status message is the same as yours except that it continues to say that I will get notification to collect the passport from the Loomis branch. The case hasn't really updated from the day of the interview. As I mentioned, they also returned my passport. I am just keeping finger crossed. The wait is excruciating.

Comment

As you correctly said, the process is really opaque. If they gave some estimate of the timeline, few people would complain.
          My status message is the same as yours except that it continues to say that I will get notification to collect the passport from the Loomis branch. The case hasn't really updated from the day of the interview. As I mentioned, they also returned my passport. I am just keeping finger crossed. The wait is excruciating.
          I went to the embassy today to inquire about the status. I explained my situation to the security. The security took the appointment letter and a lady came out after a few minutes and told me that they had received my documents and it has been sent to Washington for review. The consulate would take an action based on Washington's decision.

I was not prepared to hear this. My employer's (and my husband's company's attorney) suggest that this is a straightforward issue where the consular officer has included the period spent on F1 and H4 to determine 6 years H1B limit. But, none of them are able to tell me how much time my case would take.

If there are any senior members who have seen such cases, please pitch in.

Comment

I was for my interview in Toronto (beginning of December). Got 221g (yellow) with further admin processing.
            Questions in the consulate:
            • What is your highest educational degree? Your Master's degree is in what area?
            • Did you have any publications?
            • Did you have any research in university?
            • What was your thesis topic?
            • Will you work for your current company in US or another one?
            • Show me your resume.
            • Show me your I-797B original form.
            • Do you have US academic equivalency evaluation for your diploma with you?
            • Were you previously in US? On what status? When?
            • What is your position in the current company and future company in US?

I'm still waiting for the decision. If I get visa approval and go on this visa to work in US, what can the impact be of such refusal for me in future during work visa transfer or visa extension or when applying for permanent residency?

Comment

I went to the embassy today to inquire about the status. I explained my situation to the security. The security took the appointment letter and a lady came out after a few minutes and told me that they had received my documents and it has been sent to Washington for review. The consulate would take an action based on Washington's decision.

I was not prepared to hear this. My employer's (and my husband's company's attorney) suggest that this is a straightforward issue where the consular officer has included the period spent on F1 and H4 to determine 6 years H1B limit. But, none of them are able to tell me how much time my case would take.

If there are any senior members who have seen such cases, please pitch in.

Hi Anmol,

I didn't know one can walk up to the consulate and check for the status. Seems like your case and mine, though very different, are extremely straight forward. It's an unnecessary wait and frustration that we are going through.

I heard back from them last Wednesday (12/12) and they asked me whether I completed my PhD or not. I was asked the same question during my interview and I provided them with the same docs as I did last Wednesday. I am not sure if something should be expected in the last 10 days of December. Hoping things would get better soon. 3 weeks and counting...

Comment

Hi Anmol,

I didn't know one can walk up to the consulate and check for the status. Seems like your case and mine, though very different, are extremely straight forward. It's an unnecessary wait and frustration that we are going through.

I heard back from them last Wednesday (12/12) and they asked me whether I completed my PhD or not. I was asked the same question during my interview and I provided them with the same docs as I did last Wednesday. I am not sure if something should be expected in the last 10 days of December. Hoping things would get better soon. 3 weeks and counting...
                Hi ShMW,

The problem with our cases is that these are not regular TAL cases for which people have indicated average timelines on these forums. Did you see any update in the case status? We are in a similar boat. Btw, if you hear something from the consulate, please update on the forum.

It would be good to hear from more people who got 221g at Ottawa

18 business days and counting.....

Comment

Hi ShMW,

The problem with our cases is that these are not regular TAL cases for which people have indicated average timelines on these forums. Did you see any update in the case status? We are in a similar boat. Btw, if you hear something from the consulate, please update on the forum.

It would be good to hear from more people who got 221g at Ottawa

18 business days and counting.....
                  Hi Anmol,

No update on the case status.

16th working day and counting .....

Comment

Hi Anmol,

No update on the case status.

16th working day and counting .....
                    I got the emails from the Ottawa Consulate asking for the passport. I have sent the passport using following their instruction. I hope no further surprises.

Case status on CEAC website still shows the date of last update as 20th Nov, the date of the interview.

Comment

I got the emails from the Ottawa Consulate asking for the passport. I have sent the passport using following their instruction. I hope no further surprises.

Case status on CEAC website still shows the date of last update as 20th Nov, the date of the interview.
                      Hey Anmol,

That's great news! happy to hear that

You should be on your way next week. Can you please update when you get your stamped passport?

Comment

Hey Anmol,

That's great news! happy to hear that

You should be on your way next week. Can you please update when you get your stamped passport?
                        I absolutely will update once I have the passport. I will leave a summary of the timeline as well.

Comment

I absolutely will update once I have the passport. I will leave a summary of the timeline as well.
                          Hi Anmol,

Does the consulate ask you to courier your passport or is there an option to hand deliver it at the consulate?

Thanks
                          Shounak

Comment

Hi Anmol,

Does the consulate ask you to courier your passport or is there an option to hand deliver it at the consulate?

Thanks
                            Shounak
                            Hi Shounak,

They asked to courier the passport. I followed their exact instructions. But, I read on some forums that people have submitted the passport in person.
                            The embassy is closed till 26th. Keeping fingers crossed....

Anmol

Comment

Hi Shounak,

They asked to courier the passport. I followed their exact instructions. But, I read on some forums that people have submitted the passport in person.
                              The embassy is closed till 26th. Keeping fingers crossed....

Anmol
                              Thanks Anmol,

Yours should be well on track. You should get it soon. With the Government shutdown in place, I am not sure how long I'd need to stay here.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X