Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spouse's Satus

Hello,
    I'm currently on H1B and my wife is on H4. We used the H1B/H4 visas to enter the US last time. I also have an AP and EAD in my name, filed as part of the GC processing, but no such documents for my wife (I got married after all GC/AP/EAD processing started).

My questions are,
    1. My old employer will cancel my H1B because I was laid off, how difficult will it be to get a new one? (is the quota over? can I transfer H1Bs?)
    2. Can I start work on my AP/EAD. If so, what will my wife's status be?

Appriciate any help/pointers.

Thanks,
    SC

1. You are cap exempt and the quota does not apply to you.
    2. You have to remain on H1b only for your wife to maintain legal status as a H4. If you use EAD/AP, you will become a parolee and your wife will fall out of status.

Read more here.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thank you for the quick response. So I guess my working on AP/EAD is out.

1. Does this mean that a new company will have to transfer my H1B or file for a new one? Also, does the transfer/new application need to happen before the H1B cancellation?

2. (Also please let me know if I understand this correctly) If my wife was on my GC processing track (ie, I was married at the time of starting GC/AP/EAD processing) she would have got her own AP/EAD, and I could have used my AP/EAD to work in that case.

Thanks,
      SC

Comment

1. H1b transfer has to happen before your last paycheck or within 10 days of the last paycheck date (pushing it). Every H1b is a new H1b. Transfers are not subject to cap.
        2. That is correct. If your wife had a pending 485 along with you as a derivative, you could have used AP/EAD.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X