Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last name change - For H4 visa

Hi,

I am in US on H4 visa & my name on my passport(validity till 2014) is Priya and therefore visa was stamped as FNU Priya.

Current visa is expiring end of Aug 2009. However have got extension till Feb 2012 with name i.e.FNU Priya ( This time I have
    received I797 which had extended I94).

What I want to know is

1) Whether I can change name on my passport from Priya to Priya + Husbands last name from Indian embassy in USA?

2) If doing above thing is possible , is it possible to apply for visa renewal in India with married name ?( since extended I94
    for H4 visa was issued as FNU Priya -> Will consulate people tell that since extended I94 had FNU Priya they cannot issue
    visa with married name )

Will it create any problem?

Lastly I want to know whether changing name to married name through Indian Embassy in USA will create any problem as my visa
    stamping is expired and extended I94 has FNU Priya and my new passport will have married name. Will it create any problem in
    travelling arround USA or while going out of US?

I am really confused about the above things and need a solution as to what I can do in this regard.

Please help me in this regard. I really want to get rid of "FNU". Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Priya.

Originally posted by priya_1983 View Post
    Hi,

I am in US on H4 visa & my name on my passport(validity till 2014) is Priya and therefore visa was stamped as FNU Priya.

Current visa is expiring end of Aug 2009. However have got extension till Feb 2012 with name i.e.FNU Priya ( This time I have
    received I797 which had extended I94).

What I want to know is

1) Whether I can change name on my passport from Priya to Priya + Husbands last name from Indian embassy in USA?

2) If doing above thing is possible , is it possible to apply for visa renewal in India with married name ?( since extended I94
    for H4 visa was issued as FNU Priya -> Will consulate people tell that since extended I94 had FNU Priya they cannot issue
    visa with married name )

Will it create any problem?

Lastly I want to know whether changing name to married name through Indian Embassy in USA will create any problem as my visa
    stamping is expired and extended I94 has FNU Priya and my new passport will have married name. Will it create any problem in
    travelling arround USA or while going out of US?

I am really confused about the above things and need a solution as to what I can do in this regard.

Please help me in this regard. I really want to get rid of "FNU". Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Priya.
    -- Read this last paraghraph...

-- OMM

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I also wanted to clarify 1 more important thing. Since I am in H4 visa now in US which is Expiring this month end also I have received H4 visa extension till Feb 2012. This time even for H4 visa I have received I797.

Can I change my name on passport to married name at this point of time when my H4 visa extension has been issued with my old name (i.e. FNU Priya)
      and when I go to US consulate for restamping I can apply for visa with married name?

Does anybody knows if this I797 and I94 which is given for extension of "H4 visa" is only meant as long as I am in US ? ( Because I heard for restamping of H4 visa we need I797 of principal applicant).

Awaiting for response

Priya.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I also wanted to clarify 1 more important thing. Since I am in H4 visa now in US which is Expiring this month end also I have received H4 visa extension till Feb 2012. This time even for H4 visa I have received I797.

Can I change my name on passport to married name at this point of time when my H4 visa extension has been issued with my old name (i.e. FNU Priya)
        and when I go to US consulate for restamping I can apply for visa with married name?

Does anybody knows if this I797 and I94 which is given for extension of "H4 visa" is only meant as long as I am in US ? ( Because I heard for restamping of H4 visa we need I797 of principal applicant).

Awaiting for response

Priya.
        -- Priya No problem at all, you can change your name FN: Priya + husbandName. Marriage certificate is enough to prove that you are married with the name is mentioned in passport, even name changing in passport is also needed marriage certificate.
        ofcourse for H4 visa restamping needed I797, I94 etc necessory docs.

-- OMM

Comment

H4 visa name change

Thank you for the reply.

Awaiting for response

Priya.

I want to ask that if you are able to change the name on H4 visa.
          I am dealing with the same problem.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X