H1B Extension in-Process in COVID-19 times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Extension in-Process in COVID-19 times

My H1B extension was in process when the country was hit with COVID-19. My previous visa is expiring by Apr 3rd. Since my client has frozen all work, my employer might me go. Need help with below questions
    1. In case my employer gives me 2 weeks notice from Apr 3rd.
      1. Will I go out of status after the 2 weeks (since my extension was still in process)?
      2. Or will I still have 60 days of valid status?
    2. Suppose I do get my extension in the next few weeks (irrespective of the likelihood of it occurring) and then I get let go
      1. I am guessing I will just have to 60 days before going out of status
    3. Since flights from USA to India are not plying currently, can I change my status or visa online so that I dont become illegal? If so, what measures can I take?

Thanks in advance

I hope these answers help you. There is no 60 days of valid status rule any where. Its just a grace period people assumed. But Visa officials don't mind two months of gap when you change employers. If you are let go by your employer, try to find a Job as soon as possible. If you cannot find a Job soon (there is no fixed time on what this SOON is), you would be out of status. But given the lock down circumstances, USCIS might give you more time between jobs.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X