Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Visa + Marriage Certificate Issued by church

Hi,

Will American Embassy accept marriage certificate issued by Church? I'm in USA now, We need to apply visa for my wife who is in Chennai (Tamilnadu). We don't have government issued certificate. Can my wife provide church issued marriage certificate in Visa interview? Will that be accepted by consulate officer?

The below link states that, church issued marriage certificate are acceptable for Christian marriages but I'm not sure about recent rules and regulations.

Is anyone come across this situation? Please hint me.

Thanks in Advance

Anbu

Marriage certificate from church + wedding photo album + invitation card + any other document should suffice.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. Another quick question, Is it applicable to India also i.e. the american consulate in chennai (India) will also accept that?

Thanks
      Anbu

Comment

FROM State Department website:

India

Marriage Certificates

Available. The Hindu and Muslim communities do not usually register marriages, however, marriages by Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs may be voluntarily registered under the Hindu Marriage Act of l955. This Act does not apply to Muslims, Parsis, Jews or Christians, who may register their marriages under the Special Marriage Act of l954, or the Christian Marriage Act. Marriage certificates for marriages registered under these Acts may be obtained from the offices of Government Registrar of Marriages, which are located in the headquarters of each district. The certificate will be issued by the Registrar only if the bride and groom personally appear before the official and pay the required fee.

A certificate of marriage between Muslims is usually issued by the priest who performed the ceremony. The document is in the Urdu language, and a certified translation is required. Marriages between Christians are usually obtainable from Church records. If the marriage has not been officially registered, then two sworn affidavits giving the names, dates and places of birth of the bride and groom, and the date and place of marriage, as well as the names of the parents of both parties are acceptable. The affidavits must be executed by one of the parents of each party, or if the parents are deceased, by the nearest relative of each party who was present at the wedding.

Note: A document termed as "Marriage Agreement" or "Deed of Marriage" to live as man and wife (under the Registration Act of l908) is not confirmation of a marriage solemnized legally under the Indian Marriage Acts now in force. Such a document does not confer upon the contracting parties’ legal marital status under the law.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X