Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termination of employment

Hello Friends,

I am working for a client through a prime vendor who is also my H1B sponsor. The vendor pays me very less and when i ask the same they say they are not getting good billing rates. I have informed my employer that i would like to quit the job. But my employer says i need to pay them the H1B expenses and other immigration fees. They are also saying they will not pay me the salary for the current month also if i quit.

Q: What can my employer do if i quit them with out informing as they are putting lot of conditions. Can it harm my future employment? Can they hold any documents like W2, other documents from employer side?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Balaji

Hey,
    You can quit your job anytime you want as long as you have a valid H1B from another employer. They are making empty threats to you. Legally they can't hold your pay or W2. You have every right to quit if you feel you have a better job and need to reimburse them in no way for anything. Now that is the legal aspect of it. When I did quit my first employer, they did withhold my pay. What I did was I told my prime vendor that I will be reporting to my manager about they having withdrawn my pay. The prime vendor pleaded with me to not report this and immediately got my ex-employer to pay me my dues. The best way to handle this would be to follow a tactic like what I mentioned above since vendors never like their clients to know the shady practices they follow. If that doesn't work then your option is file a complaint with the Labor department which will takes month to settle.

Comment

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Sounds like another of those shady employers. What he is doing is illegal. Immediately report him or at least tell him if he pulls stunts like this, you will report to the USCIS. He cannot withhold pay. He cannot ask you to pay for H1B expenses. He cannot withhold W2.

Please stand firm and show the guy that he is not at liberty to treat employes like crap. Better yet, go find a lawyer, anyone, doesnt have to be good, send a notice to the employer. That will shake him out.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X