Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certified Indian passport copy for ITIN (How to get it ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by balaaji02 View Post
    Suggest you not send you the origininal passport since i have submitted my passport on March 14th and till now i have not heard back anything from IRS.
    I should've seen this before :-(
    Finally, did you get your passport back? How much time did it take?

Comment

• Originally posted by shal0821 View Post
      Hi Kris,

Thanks for your detailed explanation of your situation. Just a clarification could you please let me know that whether you have received a suspended notice before your ITIN Rejection notice ?

In my case, received a notice on june 5th stating got suspended need a valid passport to sent before july 15th. But, i received a second notice on june 15th stating my ITIN got rejected ,although i still have the time till july 15th. When i called IRS they say to send the original passport with new W7.

Could you please tell me is this the same case with you?

Thanks,
      Sorry for the confusion, I received a notice from IRS stating that we need more information to process your itin, i had to reply within certain days else it would have got rejected. Your case since its already rejected just get the certified copies and send w7again, also remember if you have kids you need to send original birth certificate of the kid. IRS returned me everything shortly after I received my itin. So nothing to worry, just things are getting delayed for few months.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ckrickson View Post
      It has been 22 days since I sent my wife's passport. Got ITIN last week. No sign of passport yet. IRS repeats the 60 days turn around time story whenever I call them.
      Just don't panic or get tensed, I was in same boat, IRS neatly returned all the certified copies and original birth certificate shortly after i received the itin. They are handling so many people they will definitely not miss your passport. Forget it and it will be in your mailbox.

Comment

• ITIN got rejected

i need serious help here.
        I have sent passport through chicago acceptance agent on March 2nd week.
        On April first week, I got CP566 form asking to send original passport and I did sent them
        On May last week, I got my passport back and after 1 week, got CP567 form stating, my ITIN got rejected.

After calling to IRS customer care, they are telling, the comments in the log is "Some number imprinted in the passport has blurred edges". That is all information they have.

I checked the passport and no issues are there, otherthan, some fonts have light black color shade and some have dark color.

I am not sure what to do. If I apply again, I am afraid they will reject the passport stating the same reason.

Only issue I can see is, on the passport cover, there was a small yellow sticker (which is pasted by American Embassy while going for stamping in chennai). Does anyone else have send the passport with the yellow sticker on it?

Or did anyone encounter this issue anytime.. Pls reply..

Thanks
        Arun

Comment

• Originally posted by k82 View Post
          Originally posted by ckrickson View Post
          It has been 22 days since I sent my wife's passport. Got ITIN last week. No sign of passport yet. IRS repeats the 60 days turn around time story whenever I call them.
          Just don't panic or get tensed, I was in same boat, IRS neatly returned all the certified copies and original birth certificate shortly after i received the itin. They are handling so many people they will definitely not miss your passport. Forget it and it will be in your mailbox.
          Thanks for the comforting reply K82, it was a big relief!

Do you recall approximately what was the gap between ITIN and Passport receipt?

Comment

• Originally posted by arungrulz View Post
            On April first week, I got CP566 form asking to send original passport and I did sent them
            On May last week, I got my passport back and after 1 week, got CP567 form stating, my ITIN got rejected.

After calling to IRS customer care, they are telling, the comments in the log is "Some number imprinted in the passport has blurred edges". That is all information they have.

I checked the passport and no issues are there, otherthan, some fonts have light black color shade and some have dark color.

I am not sure what to do. If I apply again, I am afraid they will reject the passport stating the same reason.

Only issue I can see is, on the passport cover, there was a small yellow sticker (which is pasted by American Embassy while going for stamping in chennai). Does anyone else have send the passport with the yellow sticker on it?

Thanks
            Arun
            My wife's passport had yellow sticker, but ITIN was issued. (We're yet to get the passport back though.).

May be you can try certified copy route? Or may be combination of other documents?

Comment

• my submission due date is june 27 2013. and i have no idea what to do.

Originally posted by dnmech View Post
              I too got a notice from IRS to send the original passport or the certified copy from the issuing agency.

I asked my wife to get her passport certified by the Passport office in Delhi. She did that. Today i received the courier from India. It has got a big stamp which says "Govt Of India - APOSTILLE" and in the lower half it says " Certified by Section Officer (OI) Ministry Of External Affairs.

I checked the IRS website, it says that if the county is part of "Hague Apostille Convention" then apostille is valid. India is a part of that group. I will send this document tomorrow to the IRS and wait if i get any other notice from them.

I request other members to share their experience.

Thanks!
              Hi... i need to submit same certified passport copies for my husband's itin. can u please give me the address where your wife got it done in india.

Comment

• sumitted the docuentation(i.e passport verification)through TAC office,worked fine.

Originally posted by k82 View Post
                Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share my experience with you all, I had been following this forum closely and running pillar to post to get my ITIN done. Finally received the ITIN's today so wanted to share my experience. I want to make this little elaborate as in future people can get to the process easily.

Feb 25: Went to Rhode Island (I live here) IRS office to file tax return with W7 form, they wanted original passport, they suggested I go to nearest NJ office as in-person verification is available, and so I can retain my original passports.

Mar 1: Travelled to NJ and filed my Tax along with W7. In person verification of passport was done. ( Thought everything was ok, but its was a mistake)

Apr 1: Received ITIN rejection notice for wife and kid, stating original or certified copied are required. (I never knew and should have provided certified copies on Mar1st itself)

Apr 10: After scrambling for a while thinking what's best to do, visited consulate general of india NY website. I did not want to travel to NY again.
                Downloaded Miscellaneous services form to get certified/attested passport copies
                took money order total 48$= 13$ (each passport) + 13$ (each passport) + 22$ (for return mailer)
                attached 2 copies of passport of wife and kid with the visa pages. These pages should be notarized before you send to indian consulate.
                finally sent the original passports of wife and kid
                did a overnight fedex -> make sure you do it in weekdays, better it does not get returned in weekend.
                then started the curious wait as I had sent the original passports.

Apr 19: Received back the original passports with the certified copies from indian consulate.

Apr 24: FedEx the certified copies along with the original birth certificate of child to IRS. The IRS address will be in the ITIN rejection letter.
                then started the wait again...

June 8: Received ITIN # of wife and kid through post, no rejection this time .

Although I am yet to get the refund, I am happy at least one big process is over after agonizing 4 months. I don't want others to suffer in this process in future, I already spend nearly 500$ in tax filing, fedex, money orders and travelling...

Thanks
                Krish
                Hi- I was under same boat till some part as Krish but had taken a different approach that worked after I had a rejection ntoice of my wifes ITIN application.I had the things going in same direction until rejection( i.e till step at 'Apr1:' from Krish experience).Instead,I phone called IRS office cotact no provided on Rejection notice (had long wait of 45 min to finally get hold of smeone) and their explanation was different.They told rejection notice was a false system generated notice and advised that they had sent another follow-up notice with ITIN assigned.They had let me know the assigned ITIN no on phone and requested me to wait few days to receive in postal mail.Finally I got the ITIN assigned notice after 15 days.

*So aslong as your documentation is perfect and approach is right,you are good.
                *Encourage to contact(via phone) if you feel your documentation is correct and still received a rejection notice(as happened in my case).Better to have the person whom you applied ITIN is avaialble with you while phone call.
                *Its worth waiting 20-45 long min to get hold of IRS support personnel..in my case its worth a wait.
                *Good to call in early mornings or during lunch hrs as the waiting period may be less(at least in my experience).

Hope this helps others who are in similar situation.

Thanks

Comment

• ITIN got rejected

Hi
                  On March 30 2013, I submitted ITIN and tax return to IRS office at St Petersburg, FL (110 miles form orlando, fl) which provides in-person verification and certify the original passports.

On April 29 2013, I received a notice CP566 from IRS
                  "Unable to process ITIN application until a valid documentation is send. The passport which was submitted did not meet the IRS criteria:"

Now they are asking to send either original passport (IRS prefers this) or send a certified copy.

I called the ITIN office and they said there is some line on the passports photo page and cannot verify the document.

Then i got the certified copy from Indian embassy atlanta. and responded to CP566 on May 20 2013.

On got a rejection letter stating that they I did not send them the documents they have requested in the CP566.

I don't know what to do now. I wasted lots of money, time, travel to obtain ITIN. If anyone is same situation and has found a way please help me.

Comment

• I am also kind of in the same boat. Can you tell me if you have tried something
                    Originally posted by arungrulz View Post

Thanks
                    Arun

Comment

• Update regarding the ITIN application rejection letter.

Called ITIN office and they said the ITIN has been assigned and the rejection letter was some system error.
                      Another letter will be sent out soon stating that the the ITIN application has been accpeted and will send all the documents back.

Originally posted by Senthil Kumar View Post
                      Hi
                      On March 30 2013, I submitted ITIN and tax return to IRS office at St Petersburg, FL (110 miles form orlando, fl) which provides in-person verification and certify the original passports.

On April 29 2013, I received a notice CP566 from IRS
                      "Unable to process ITIN application until a valid documentation is send. The passport which was submitted did not meet the IRS criteria:"

Now they are asking to send either original passport (IRS prefers this) or send a certified copy.

I called the ITIN office and they said there is some line on the passports photo page and cannot verify the document.

Then i got the certified copy from Indian embassy atlanta. and responded to CP566 on May 20 2013.

On got a rejection letter on July 3 2013 stating that they I did not send them the documents they have requested in the CP566.

I don't know what to do now. I wasted lots of money, time, travel to obtain ITIN. If anyone is same situation and has found a way please help me.

Comment

• ITIN Application Status

I just started looking at this forum last week, and i gone through most of the user experiences from there post. By reading through all the posts majority of them sent the Certified copies to IRS office, but i was bit worried because i have sent my daughter original passport and waiting to get that back. The forum helped me a lot and put in some confidience that i will get my original documents back once the process is completed. Which happend today as I RECEIVED MY DAUGHTERS ORIGINAL PASSPORT. Finally its ALL HAPPIES....

April 3: I had paper filed the Tax returns along with ITIN Application for my Daughter
                        April 29: Got a notice CP566 from IRS asking to send the original documents.
                        May 10: I Mailed the original passport along to IRS office via USPS Priority Mail
                        May 14: As per the tracking number provided by USPS my documents reached to IRS office on this day.
                        May 14 to June 29: I called IRS office to check the status of my ITIN. The only answer i got is Please wait for atleast 60 Days to get the ITIN processing complete. In this mean time i also checked the status of my refund in "Where is my Refund" link and in all the attempts i got the response stating "Record not found in the system".
                        July 13: Received a Rejection notice CP567 from IRS that my ITIN Got rejected as i have not provided my documents on time
                        July 15: Called IRS Twice to check the status, and they are not sure why my ITIN got rejected as there is not update in the system. But i Checked
                        status in "Where is My Refund" and was able to check the status that IRS has received by Returns and stated that your refund will be credited in 21 working Days. This made be to gain the confidience that I will get back by original documents as well as my refund.
                        July 16: I received my original documents today.It also mentioned in the document that "You will be receiving your ITIN within 6 weeks, if not recieved please call IRS help desk and check the status." It took approx 63 days to get back my original documents back.

Current Update: I am still waiting on getting my refund, will update this post once i got my refund.

Suggestion: It is always better to send the Certified copies to IRS as it was very pain full to know the status of as IRS agents will not be able to provide much information on the "Reciept of original document or When can they send the original document they just say wait for 60 Days or even if they send the documents back its is US Standard Post where there is always a chance to get the original documents damaged"

All the best for the folks who are waiting to get the documents back or waiting for ITIN or waiting for getting there refund back

Comment

• Passport Certification of dependents

Hi Binoca,

I had sent the certified copy of my dependent's passports (My wife n kid) but they have rejected it asking for the original passport as the reason they give is Indian Consulate has not certified Visa page , they have only stamped 1st and last page.
                          But i dont want to send the original passports to IRS for 2 months so i am thinking to do it in the same way how u did. I stay in Boston n plan to come to NY on this Tuesday to NY-Midtown office (44th St NY) . And after this certification there will not be any problem in ITIN generation or Texas ofc may again ask for original passport ?

Do I need to take my wife n kid as well to IRS office to get it certified n submit ? Or if i go alone with their passports they will certify and accept the application ?

Please confirm , based on that i will plan my travel.
                          Anuj

===============
                          Originally posted by binoca82 View Post
                          I successfully submitted the ITIN application for my child in NJ - Fairfield office today. Passport was returned immediately after verification. I went to the IRS office with the following items. It just took around 15 minutes.
                          1. 2012 tax return
                          2. filled w7 application form
                          3. child's original passport
                          4. copy of the passport - first and last pages, visa & I94

First I went to NJ - Parsippany office (reached around 12:30 pm), the security in that office tried to send me back saying that they have 2 people already waiting for ITIN application submission and it will take around 1 hour per person ! Not sure why he said so. He want to leave the office early on the long weekend? or he doesn't like non-americans ?...not sure.
                          I had few nearby offices in my list, so just thought to try Fairfield office and all went smooth there, the people in that office were very kind, including the security.

Comment

• folks, on the misc consular services form do i need to put a passport size photograph for attestation of the passport for itin? i am planning to send my documents via mail.

Comment

• hi

Yes, you need to put passport size photo graph, i did the same to get the passport copy attested for my daughter.

Originally posted by whoami191 View Post
                              folks, on the misc consular services form do i need to put a passport size photograph for attestation of the passport for itin? i am planning to send my documents via mail.

Comment

• Finally got ITIN

As I said, below after 1 week i got a notice from IRS stating they have rejected my ITIN application as i have not Signed as a parent on Form W7.

Later I have re[-submitted the W7 with the certified copies of the passport from US Embassy - Washington DC. After that I have got my ITIN within 4 weeks of application.

Now I have to file an Ammended return to get my refund. Thanks all, this forum/thread has given me lot of information that is very much helpful to get the ITIN. Thanks

Originally posted by kirankomirishetty View Post
                                I just started looking at this forum last week, and i gone through most of the user experiences from there post. By reading through all the posts majority of them sent the Certified copies to IRS office, but i was bit worried because i have sent my daughter original passport and waiting to get that back. The forum helped me a lot and put in some confidience that i will get my original documents back once the process is completed. Which happend today as I RECEIVED MY DAUGHTERS ORIGINAL PASSPORT. Finally its ALL HAPPIES....

April 3: I had paper filed the Tax returns along with ITIN Application for my Daughter
                                April 29: Got a notice CP566 from IRS asking to send the original documents.
                                May 10: I Mailed the original passport along to IRS office via USPS Priority Mail
                                May 14: As per the tracking number provided by USPS my documents reached to IRS office on this day.
                                May 14 to June 29: I called IRS office to check the status of my ITIN. The only answer i got is Please wait for atleast 60 Days to get the ITIN processing complete. In this mean time i also checked the status of my refund in "Where is my Refund" link and in all the attempts i got the response stating "Record not found in the system".
                                July 13: Received a Rejection notice CP567 from IRS that my ITIN Got rejected as i have not provided my documents on time
                                July 15: Called IRS Twice to check the status, and they are not sure why my ITIN got rejected as there is not update in the system. But i Checked
                                status in "Where is My Refund" and was able to check the status that IRS has received by Returns and stated that your refund will be credited in 21 working Days. This made be to gain the confidience that I will get back by original documents as well as my refund.
                                July 16: I received my original documents today.It also mentioned in the document that "You will be receiving your ITIN within 6 weeks, if not recieved please call IRS help desk and check the status." It took approx 63 days to get back my original documents back.

Current Update: I am still waiting on getting my refund, will update this post once i got my refund.

Suggestion: It is always better to send the Certified copies to IRS as it was very pain full to know the status of as IRS agents will not be able to provide much information on the "Reciept of original document or When can they send the original document they just say wait for 60 Days or even if they send the documents back its is US Standard Post where there is always a chance to get the original documents damaged"

All the best for the folks who are waiting to get the documents back or waiting for ITIN or waiting for getting there refund back

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X