Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Mumbai consulate scheduling interviews for IR5 (Parent of a U.S. citizen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you all for the help. My dad finished his medical in Chennai, and we have a biometric appt and interview back to back in Mumbai on April 2nd week. I had one question, how and when do we pay for the courier service to deliver the passport home? Is it during the interview? or during the biometrics appt?

Comment

• Originally posted by vjrnn2022 View Post
      Thank you all for the help. My dad finished his medical in Chennai, and we have a biometric appt and interview back to back in Mumbai on April 2nd week. I had one question, how and when do we pay for the courier service to deliver the passport home? Is it during the interview? or during the biometrics appt?
      Dear vjrnn2022,
      Congratulations to you and your Dad for a successful completion of the medical. Biometrics is a very routine thing. Best wishes for the interview. Wishing a successful adjudication of the petition. If you have not yet paid the courier fee then you will now pay it when you pick up the passport from the courier office or when it is delivered to the address given by you. Best wishes again.

Comment

• SSN ARRIVAL - UPDATE

My parents arrived on March 24, 2023, at EWR airport in NJ and their SSN card arrived in USPS mail today on April 3, 2023.

Hopefully GREENCARD will arrive soon too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shanaya View Post
          SSN ARRIVAL - UPDATE

My parents arrived on March 24, 2023, at EWR airport in NJ and their SSN card arrived in USPS mail today on April 3, 2023.

Good to hear. We also arrived on March 23rd. Our port of entry is SFO. Waiting for the arrival of SSN. Hope we will get soon. Thanks for the update.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shanaya View Post
            SSN ARRIVAL - UPDATE

Good to hear that Shanaya. If you are lucky then the green card could arrive in 35 days after landing. Best wishes

Comment

• Originally posted by AlienKanpur View Post
              Good to hear that Shanaya. If you are lucky then the green card could arrive in 35 days after landing. Best wishes
              Dear AlienKanpur. We arrived on 23rd March to SFO. So far we have not received SSN. When we filling the form DS 260, I said YES to the following questions:
              Do you want the Social Security Administration to issue a Social
              Security number and a card? YES
              Do you authorize disclosure of information from this form to the
              Department of Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration,
              and such other U.S. Government agencies as may be required for the
              purposes of assigning you a social security number (SSN) and issuing
              you a Social Security card and do you authorize the Social Security
              Administration to share your SSN with the Department of Homeland
              Security? YES​
              Is it Okay. Or We need to apply SSN personally?
              Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeoMac View Post
                Dear veeranj
                Medical was done and the hospital did not ask for Sputum that means she has cleared her Medical. Now no more to do pertaining to medical. The report has been sent directly to the consulate. Now you can plan your visit to India for say a week, take your mom to consulate for interview, return back to Chennai the same day and wait for passport. When passport arrives, pay the green card fee ($220) and fly back to the US along with your mom (provided you have booked her flight along with your return flight) Keep the payment receipt of $220 handy. It may be needed to show to the immigration officer on port of entry. It would be on safer side to book one way ticket only. Also take a health insurance or travel insurance for 3 months from India to cover her medical expenses. Once she receives her Green Card (40 to 90 days) you can apply for insurance in America.
                Thank you GeoMac. My mother is 80+. Will we be able to get medical insurance for 80+? Any recommendations?

Comment

• Originally posted by V1V2S View Post

Dear AlienKanpur. We arrived on 23rd March to SFO. So far we have not received SSN. When we filling the form DS 260, I said YES to the following questions:
                  Do you want the Social Security Administration to issue a Social
                  Security number and a card? YES
                  Do you authorize disclosure of information from this form to the
                  Department of Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration,
                  and such other U.S. Government agencies as may be required for the
                  purposes of assigning you a social security number (SSN) and issuing
                  you a Social Security card and do you authorize the Social Security
                  Administration to share your SSN with the Department of Homeland
                  Security? YES​
                  Is it Okay. Or We need to apply SSN personally?
                  Thanks in advance.
                  Dear V1V2S,
                  you did the right thing by saying yes to those questions. As of now there is no need to apply for the SSN. Generally the SSN should arrive in 10 business days. In case it does not arrive by the end of this week, then you may have to personally go to the SSN office and reapply. Hopefully, you may not be required to do so. Best wishes.

Comment

• Hi Friends

My father is all set to fly to the USA. He has savings in India that he would want to bring to the USA and use. Do you guys know of ways to do that?
                    I understand that he can bring $10K without declaring, however that amount is not sufficient. Are there other ways?

Thanks

Comment

Dear V1V2S,
                      you did the right thing by saying yes to those questions. As of now there is no need to apply for the SSN. Generally the SSN should arrive in 10 business days. In case it does not arrive by the end of this week, then you may have to personally go to the SSN office and reapply. Hopefully, you may not be required to do so. Best wishes.
                      Dear AlienKanpur. One good news. Today my wife received SSN. But I didn't. Shall I wait for one or two days or visit the social security office near by tomorrow? I thought that usually both will receive SSN together. But in my case it has not happened. I seek your guidance. Sorry for the trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by zakasbanda View Post
                        Hi Friends

My father is all set to fly to the USA. He has savings in India that he would want to bring to the USA and use. Do you guys know of ways to do that?
                        I understand that he can bring $10K without declaring, however that amount is not sufficient. Are there other ways?

Thanks
                        RBI's Liberalized Remittance Scheme allows up to $250,000 per year for various purposes - one of them being Emigration. You should consult a tax attorney but it looks like LRS should allow your dad to transfer the funds from India to US

Comment

• Originally posted by V1V2S View Post

Dear AlienKanpur. One good news. Today my wife received SSN. But I didn't. Shall I wait for one or two days or visit the social security office near by tomorrow? I thought that usually both will receive SSN together. But in my case it has not happened. I seek your guidance. Sorry for the trouble.
                          Dear V1V2S,
                          heartiest congratulations for the SSN for your wife. Your SSN will be arriving soon. In our case we both got it on the same day. But it does happen sometimes that the SSN for one person gets delayed. So do not worry. Give yourself a week from now. This could happen with the GC also. I got the GC on day 38 and my wife got it on day 68. This week is just ending. Wait until the end of the next week before going to the SSN office. Best wishes.

Comment

• Originally posted by veeranj View Post

Thank you GeoMac. My mother is 80+. Will we be able to get medical insurance for 80+? Any recommendations?
                            Travel Insurance Yes. No idwa about other insurance from India. Travel insurance is allowed for six months only one time. No renewal.

Comment

Dear V1V2S,
                              heartiest congratulations for the SSN for your wife. Your SSN will be arriving soon. In our case we both got it on the same day. But it does happen sometimes that the SSN for one person gets delayed. So do not worry. Give yourself a week from now. This could happen with the GC also. I got the GC on day 38 and my wife got it on day 68. This week is just ending. Wait until the end of the next week before going to the SSN office. Best wishes.
                              Thank you for your valuable guidance. May God keep you hale and healthy to guide others in this forum ever. 🙏

Comment

• My mother is going for her Interview on April 14 and I have not filled 2022 tax returns yet due to some issues. Will she be asked for new tax return at her Interview or 2021, 2020 will work? Does anyone has attended the interview this month without new tax returns? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X