No announcement yet.

Renunciation Procedure using VFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops007 VFS Instructions are very confusing and inaccurate. And their online system is designed poorly. Almost all applicants are in the same boat as you and I was one before I was able to do mine.

So for renunciation purpose, all passport details should be Indian passport details. And the personal details (except address) you put on VFS site are not too important. However, the details on government form are the main ones and those should be accurate with no mistakes. Nationality should be US as you have become US citizen after oath.

Also, you don't have to upload digital photo for renunciation. Just have to stick 1 physical photo on the printout of govt form.

I hope this helps. Even for me finishing the application was the challenge and paint point. Once it was sent to VFS, everything went smooth and I got renunciation certificate back in about 3 weeks time.

Originally posted by Oops007 View Post
    Looks like the Renanucaiton of Indian Passport is the most difficult of all the applications with Indian Consolate. Worst documentation and handling of the Process by VFS.

Did anyone got there Indian Passport renanuced after VFS took over? Any Success story ??

I have filled the application of surrender of Indian Passport on Govt of India Website. That seems ok. Just that the digital photo upload and signature option is not available
    I assumed thats not needed.
    I have question on the VFS Global site. After registering and logging into the VFS website, The Create New Application form the first page is ok. Filled it . In the Add Customer form are these details of Indian Passport or US Passport ?? -
    Passport Number:
    Passport Expiry Date:
    Select Nationality* : (This I believe we have to select US as there is no option for India)
    Expiration Date of most recent Indian Passport* : this seems like Indian Passport expiration

Why 2 expiry Date? do we have to put both same.
    Also is the online CreditCard Payment working ?

Looking forward for any replies...

Comment

• Donald_Trump Thankyou for your response. Does the online payment using credit card works?

Comment

• Hi All,

I am preparing renunciation application for the family and have following queries. It would be a great help if any one can help with.

1. For Minors - Can we send address proof of the parent.? I am planning to send a copy of water bill which has both father and mothers name.
        2. Along with printed Fedex label from VFS global , Do we need to keep the fedex envelope also for shipping back the passport and certificate.?
        3. Our son is 10 years old. Do the parents need to sign along with the kid in the application or only kids signature is enough.?

4. Following are the documents i am sending , Please let me know if i missed anything.
        Document List
        • 1 Copy of Signed Application form with photo
        • 2 Copies of Photo
        • 2 Copies of filled Renunciation form
        • Copy of Address Proof
        • Copy US Passport
        • Copy of Indian Passport
        • Original Indian Passport
        • Application receipt print from VFS
        • Return label printed from VFS
        For minor , along with all the above
        • Copies of both father and mother's naturalization certificate
        • Notarized letter explaining why the minor doesn't have own naturalization certificate
        • Notarized Parent's authorization form
        • Notarized Sworn Affidavit form

Comment

• Originally posted by Oops007 View Post
          Donald_Trump Thankyou for your response. Does the online payment using credit card works?
          You are welcome. Yes, credit card payment works. I have used it for both renunciation and OCI applications. However, with credit card they charge 3.5% convenience fee (Yes, VFS tries to profit and ripoff applicants as much as they can). But I used a credit card with 2% cashback so effectively I paid 1.5% convenience fee! Which was not too much of a difference compared to money order. Also I have heard that shipping services from VFS is not available if you select money order (Need to confirm this from others who have used money order option). But it is recommended that you buy shipping from VFS so use credit card if that is possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donald_Trump View Post

You are welcome. Yes, credit card payment works. I have used it for both renunciation and OCI applications. However, with credit card they charge 3.5% convenience fee (Yes, VFS tries to profit and ripoff applicants as much as they can). But I used a credit card with 2% cashback so effectively I paid 1.5% convenience fee! Which was not too much of a difference compared to money order. Also I have heard that shipping services from VFS is not available if you select money order (Need to confirm this from others who have used money order option). But it is recommended that you buy shipping from VFS so use credit card if that is possible.
            Thankyou Donald_Trump . For me after doing the creditCard payment I did not get the email for about 10 mins. So I was not sure what happened. But later received the email. Also I was able to download the shipping label on the VFS site. (Thankfully the email arrived

Comment

• Originally posted by Oops007 View Post

Thankyou Donald_Trump . For me after doing the creditCard payment I did not get the email for about 10 mins. So I was not sure what happened. But later received the email. Also I was able to download the shipping label on the VFS site. (Thankfully the email arrived
              One more question though might be silly, but better to confirm.
              In the renunciation Certificate form in the last section Surrender Certificate, do not need to put date and applicant Name? will this be done by Consolate Officer?

Comment

• Oops007 Correct, the last section is for Consulate officials. But stamping the renunciation certificate that the applicants send has now been discontinued. Consulates are now giving a proper certificate that has been printed and stamped by them. They will be discarding the renunciation cert that you will be sending anyways. VFS and Consulate officials are too lazy or completely indifferent for changing the instructions so that applicants can save some paper and printer ink and if extrapolated to thousands of Indian origin applicants, that could be saving tens of thousands of paper and equivalent printer ink! Total waste of resources.

I am going to write an email or letter to various consulate officials or the ambassador asking them to improve the process and update the instructions mentioned on the VFS site so that applicants are not confused and send wasteful and useless documents and paperwork.

One more question though might be silly, but better to confirm.
                In the renunciation Certificate form in the last section Surrender Certificate, do not need to put date and applicant Name? will this be done by Consolate Officer?
                Last edited by Donald_Trump; 01-02-2021, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donald_Trump View Post
                  Oops007 Correct, the last section is for Consulate officials. But stamping the renunciation certificate that the applicants send has now been discontinued. Consulates are now giving a proper certificate that has been printed and stamped by them. They will be discarding the renunciation cert that you will be sending anyways. VFS and Consulate officials are too lazy or completely indifferent for changing the instructions so that applicants can save some paper and printer ink and if extrapolated to thousands of Indian origin applicants, that could be saving tens of thousands of paper and equivalent printer ink! Total waste of resources.

I am going to write an email or letter to various consulate officials or the ambassador asking them to improve the process and update the instructions mentioned on the VFS site so that applicants are not confused and send wasteful and useless documents and paperwork.
                  Thanks a lot. You are amazing. the amount of assistance you are providing on ImmiHelp is great. You are helping a lot of people with these kind of doubts for which there is no answers or documentation in VFS website. Thankyou _/\_

Comment

• Donald_Trump Can you please help me with the below questions.? I have asked many threads but havent gotten any response so far, It would be great if you can provide inputs

1. For Minors - Can we send address proof of the parent.? I am planning to send a copy of water bill which has both father and mothers name.
                    2. Along with printed Fedex label from VFS global , Do we need to keep the fedex envelope also for shipping back the passport and certificate.?
                    3. Our son is 10 years old. Do the parents need to sign along with the kid in the application or only kids signature is enough.?

4. Following are the documents i am sending , Please let me know if i missed anything.
                    Document List
                    • 2 Copies of Photo
                    • Copy of Address Proof
                    • Copy US Passport
                    • Notarized letter explaining why the minor doesn't have own naturalization certificate

Comment

• Originally posted by webulagam82 View Post
                      Donald_Trump Can you please help me with the below questions.? I have asked many threads but havent gotten any response so far, It would be great if you can provide inputs

Document List
                      • 2 Copies of Photo
                      • Copy of Address Proof
                      • Copy US Passport
                      as per my understanding your documents list for both Adult and minor seems to be fine. I have prepared the same document for my self. will be submitting soon.
                      I am sending only the printed Fedex Label. Not putting any fedex envelope. I believe VFS would be doing atleast that much. For more suggestions Donald_Trump

Comment

• webulagam82 Sorry, I haven't done any application for a minor. I would let someone else who may have done minor applications to reply to your questions. Tagging Jot18 @chakra55

Originally posted by webulagam82 View Post
                        Donald_Trump Can you please help me with the below questions.? I have asked many threads but havent gotten any response so far, It would be great if you can provide inputs

Document List
                        • 2 Copies of Photo
                        • Copy of Address Proof
                        • Copy US Passport

Comment

• Oops007 Yes correct, you need to send only shipping label printout. VFS will use a fedex envelope which Fedex provides them for free so they don't ask us to provide envelopes. If envelopes had costed VFS money, then they wouldn't have hesitated to ask applicants to provide envelope also :|

as per my understanding your documents list for both Adult and minor seems to be fine. I have prepared the same document for my self. will be submitting soon.
                          I am sending only the printed Fedex Label. Not putting any fedex envelope. I believe VFS would be doing atleast that much. For more suggestions Donald_Trump

Comment

• Hi Donald_Trump ,
                            For self-attestation of copies, I have written it as, "This is a true copy of the original" with signature and Date. is this fine?. please let me know.

Comment

• Originally posted by h1bmaintain View Post
                              Hi Donald_Trump ,
                              For self-attestation of copies, I have written it as, "This is a true copy of the original" with signature and Date. is this fine?. please let me know.
                              Yes, that is fine. I had only signed (I didn't even write any sentence). Again, as reported by other applicants, their documents were accepted even if they were not self attested. So don't worry about attestation much.

Comment

• I have not been able to track the application it’s been 3 weeks and the email I got said to track the application on website which was 3 weeks ago. It keeps saying invalid inputs. Does anyone have the same issue?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X