Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I797 not returned after stamping

Hi,

My H1B visa is stamped and I received it from one of the locations I choose. However, consulate did not returned the original I797 document which they took from me during the interview.

May I know what is the process to get it back from the consulate?

Thanks,

Write a letter to the consulate and ask them if they can return your original I-797.
    Do you have a copy of your approval notice? If so, you can use that to enter U.S.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

I have emailed them but no response so far.
      I do have a soft copy of I797. Do you know if anyone tried to enter US with I797 copy instead of original? Most of the people in the forum recommending to take original I797.
      But, this is a common case where consulate did not return the original one. Lots of people asked this question but nobody confirmed what really happened.
      Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      Write a letter to the consulate and ask them if they can return your original I-797.
      Do you have a copy of your approval notice? If so, you can use that to enter U.S.

Comment

Email might not work. Write a physical letter to the consulate general. Attach a copy of your approval notice and a copy of your passport. Keep copies of your email and letter sent to consulate as your records. A soft copy of the approval notice will work. If asked at the POE explain that the consulate did not return your original and show them the letters that you sent them.

Originally posted by cfuture View Post
        I have emailed them but no response so far.
        I do have a soft copy of I797. Do you know if anyone tried to enter US with I797 copy instead of original? Most of the people in the forum recommending to take original I797.
        But, this is a common case where consulate did not return the original one. Lots of people asked this question but nobody confirmed what really happened.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
          Email might not work. Write a physical letter to the consulate general. Attach a copy of your approval notice and a copy of your passport. Keep copies of your email and letter sent to consulate as your records. A soft copy of the approval notice will work. If asked at the POE explain that the consulate did not return your original and show them the letters that you sent them.
          Thanks for responding my questions.

They replied saying they do not have I797 and asked me to get a duplicate from petitioner. Not sure if this norm or they missed it. Will my petitioner already have a copy or they need to request it again? If they need to request, how long it usually takes.

Comment

The employer might not have a duplicate of I-797B. But they might have I-797C, which in your case will work. If not, they can request USCIS to issue another copy of I-797B. It ideally should take 2-4 weeks. But there are cases where it tool 2-3 months. However, after filing for duplicate, you can travel to U.S using a copy of your existing approval notice along with the duplicate approval notice request receipt notice. Als, carry a copy of the email response that you received from the consulate.

Check the below link on more details to apply for a duplicate approval notice.

Originally posted by cfuture View Post
            Thanks for responding my questions.

They replied saying they do not have I797 and asked me to get a duplicate from petitioner. Not sure if this norm or they missed it. Will my petitioner already have a copy or they need to request it again? If they need to request, how long it usually takes.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X