Getting a Duplicate Approval Notice from USCIS for an Application or Petition

Getting a Duplicate Approval Notice from USCIS for an Application or Petition

If your application or petition was approved but you lost the approval notice or never received the original notice of approval, you can request a duplicate (I-797).

For example, if Form I-130, a petition to bring a relative to live in the United States, was approved but you lost the original notice, you may request a duplicate notice of approval.

Also, many times, an approved petition for a visitor visa extension is lost, and it is now required to apply for a visitor visa again if the person stayed beyond the original I-94 date stamp during the previous visit.

In order to receive a duplicate approval notice, you must file Form I-824 while the original application or petition is still in effect. 

Please note that the duplicate notice will contain only the information listed on the original Form I-797, Notice of Action. A replacement employment cardForm I-94, or any other USCIS authorization document will not accompany the duplicate approval notice.

You may not file this form to request a duplicate notice for an application or petition that is pending or that has been denied, nor a duplicate approval notice naming a spouse or children accompanying or following-to-join the principal beneficiary on an approved immigration petition.


  • Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition 

  • Check Box A in the application as the reason for filing Form I-824, as this form is used for several other purposes.

  • An application fee must be sent with the application.
    There is no biometric fee. 

    Fee details 

  • Evidence 
    Attach copies that show the front and back of the following documents, if available:
    • A copy of the original petition or application. 

    • A copy of Form I-797, Notice of Action, for the original petition or application. 

      Do not send original documents unless instructed to do so.


You must file Form I-824, along with the required documents, at the USCIS office that approved your original application or petition. This could be at either a USCIS Service Center or local USCIS office.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400