Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certified Indian passport copy for ITIN (How to get it ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dnmech View Post
    I have not got ITIN for my wife. The waiting continues.....
    If you don't receive the ITIN yet, you may call IRS and find the status of ITIN as 6 weeks crossed for you.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by gurunathp View Post
      If you don't receive the ITIN yet, you may call IRS and find the status of ITIN as 6 weeks crossed for you.

All the best.
      Spoke to IRS office they say i need to wait for 8-10 weeks to get ITIN...

Comment

ITIN & FEDERAL TAX REFUND Need Help!!!

Hi,
        I have applied for ITIN at local Tax office in NJ on March 15. The person at the Tax office verified my wife's passport.

Today (April 15) I received a notice from IRS stating

"we need information from you to process your Form W7".
        We received your application for ITIN but can not process it until you send us valid documentation.
        The following document you sent did not meet IRS criteria: Passport. Please provide a valid passport or other documentation by May 28 2013.

what should I do now?
        Can i go to the same Local Tax office and submit the passport (do they accept ?) or It is better to MAIL the original passport mentioned in the notice.

Please advice.

Comment

Originally posted by gurunathp View Post

All the best.
          They rejected the application.

Comment

Originally posted by dnmech View Post
            They rejected the application.
            I'm sorry for that. Is there any reason?

I would like to know because I have applied ITIN for my dependents, its two weeks now and waiting for the ITIN number.

Comment

Hi Nithyahari,
              Did u sent your original passport to IRS...
              I too got a notice from IRS asking me to submit the originals or certified copy...
              I m n a confusion to send the original passport...please advise

Comment

Originally posted by mikehill View Post
                Hi Nithyahari,
                I too got a notice from IRS asking me to submit the originals or certified copy...

Suggest you not send you the origininal passport since i have submitted my passport on March 14th and till now i have not heard back anything from IRS.

Comment

Thanks for the reply balaaji...

Can some one please list here, what documents are needed to carry in order to certify the passport copies at Indian embassy...

Comment

Hi Nithyahari,
                    I applied for ITIN for my wife through local IRS office and got the notice requesting to submit original or certified copy. I preferred to go to consulate and got a certified copy to them 2 weeks back. I have not received any response yet. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I would suggest to try with certified copy first, if you still get a notice or if the application gets rejected, you can try other options or send original passport. It will take time but you should receive the ITIN sooner or later.
                    I will post as soon an I receive an update.

Vishal

Comment

Thanks for the reply balaaji...

Can some one please list here, what documents are needed to carry in order to certify the passport copies at Indian embassy...
                      There are two ways to do this.. 1. you go to consulate with originals (which I preferred) 2. send them the documents and they send the documents back to you.

Option 1 is easy if you have consulate nearby. Carry 2 copy of your passport 1st and last pages. Thats all they needed. They did not certify the visa page or I-94.
                      In my response to IRS query I also submitted notarized I-94 and Visa pages along with certified passport just to be on safer side. Waiting for response now!!

Vishal

Comment

Thanks vishal for the info

Can u also tell us about money order? For how much I should take the money order to the embassy

Comment

Today I did an express mail to IRS with 1. Attested passport front and last pages
                          2. Notarized visa and I94

Not sure how long I have to run this time...

Comment

Did any one had submitted original passport to IRS and got the passport back in mail?

Comment

Originally posted by binoca82 View Post
                              Tubati ,
                              One of my friend sent ITIN application with notarized copy. So he got a letter saying that he need to send the original passport. He went to one of the IRS office in that link (Parsippany, NJ) with that letter and the original passport. The IRS officer did certify a copy of the passport, took the letter he got and told that they will respond to the letter with the certified copy to the ITIN processing centre. He did that 2 weeks before, and yet to get a response on that. Just FYI - in case you want to try this with another office OR If you can a wait couple of weeks more, I should be able to provide an update on his application, in this thread.
                              Even I did the same like you on Feb 15 for my child, yet to get a response. I went to Fairfield, NJ office, it only took around 15 minutes, there was no rush.
                              binoco82,

Can you please tell if this worked out for your friend? I am in the same situation as my wife's ITIN is suspended. I went to the TAC office in Cherry Hill, NJ with my wife, and got her passport verified by them. Now when I spoke to the IRS over phone, they said the documentation was invalid and asking to send the original passport (will receive the letter confirming this soon they told). If this option your friend tried worked out, I can definitely do the same by re-visting the same/different office. Please let me know.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by shal0821 View Post
                                binoco82,

Can you please tell if this worked out for your friend? I am in the same situation as my wife's ITIN is suspended. I went to the TAC office in Cherry Hill, NJ with my wife, and got her passport verified by them. Now when I spoke to the IRS over phone, they said the documentation was invalid and asking to send the original passport (will receive the letter confirming this soon they told). If this option your friend tried worked out, I can definitely do the same by re-visting the same/different office. Please let me know.

Thanks
                                Yes, it worked and he got ITIN and refund.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X