VFS site - Renunciation of Indian Citizen / Surrender of Passport (San Francisco Center)
I am trying to start an application on VFS site for Renunciation / Surrender of passport. Not sure what needs to be selected for the field "Application Category" in the first page. The options are:
* Naturalized after June 1 2010 and does have a stamp (Cancelled due to acquiring US/Foreign nationality)
* Naturalized after June 1 2010 and does NOT have a stamp (Cancelled due to acquiring US/Foreign nationality)
* Naturalized on or before June 1 2010 and does have a stamp (Cancelled due to acquiring US/Foreign nationality)
* Naturalized on or before June 1 2010 and does NOT have a stamp (Cancelled due to acquiring US/Foreign nationality)
I have to select one of the first 2 options. But what does the "have a stamp (Cancelled due to acquiring US/Foreign nationality)" even mean ?
If you have used the VFS site to apply for Renunciation, would love to get your opinion about the option to be chosen here.
I want to know more about surrender passport in India. I understand in Mumbai only st Bandra RPO surrendering passport is active.
I have few doubts.
- what documents are required
- if I have only the Indian passport and valid passport for other national will that be accepted
- will the agent/attended person ask for visa or anything like old cancelled passport
- if anything is missing from above how much penalty is being charged
Please it anyone know about it let me know
Thanks in advance!!
Passport Renunciation Certificate for Minor Under 18 with Derived US citizenship
My child automatically became a US citizen after I was naturalized by using the derived citizenship law for children under 18 in US(Note: My wife is still not a US citizen). There is no law requiring my child to have a Naturalization Certificate as you can get US passport without Naturalization Certificate. I wanted to apply for Renunciation of Indian Passport and dont know if 1) both parents needs to be naturalized before I apply for Renunciation Certificate for my child. 2) Can i apply for Renunciation of Indian Passport without Naturalization Certificate. I will appreciate any help regarding this matter as Renunciation of Indian Passport is very confusing on VFS website.
Renunciation Certificate Timelines - San Francisco
Hi, I've not received my renunciation certificate but I wanted to share my timelines as of date.
5th March 2021 - Applied to VFS via FedEx
9th March 2021 - VFS email acknowledgment receipt
26th March 2021 - Application under process at VFS
26th March 2021 - Processed at VFS and 'In transit' to the Embassy
Yes (you read it correct), on 26th I received 2 emails about application under process and application processed at VFS and submitted to Embassy.
Rest, to be continued.....
Need new application or proceed with what I have ?
1) I started the process and completed Consular (Govt form) in Dec 2020 and then came back and completed/Submitted VFS form in Jan 2021. On the checklist there is a important reminder which says " Online applications are only accepted if submitted in the current year"
Does this mean I have to fill out Govt form and VFS form all over again since Govt Form has a date of Dec 2020 and VFS form has a date of Jan 2021 ?
2) On VFS website while creating application they ask for passport number., I understand that will be my INDIAN passport number . Seems a lot of folks having this same question
3) I am paying the fees by cashiers cheque... Do I need to have a single Cashiers checqe for Consular fee+ICFW fee+VFS service fee in favor of "VFS Global Services (USA) Inc or multiple?
4) I am using USPS for "To" and "return" shipment . While creating USPS return shipment it asks to select a return label date which cannot be more than 3 days beyond the current date . Will that be an issue for VFS to return my documents ? I don't think the return labels/code expires but wasn't sure as it is weird
Appreciate you replying to my query and feedback
HI- I AM WRITING TO UNDERSTAND WHAT DETAILS TO BE ENTERED IN VFS ADD CUSTOMER PAGE. WHEN I REGISTERING AS A NEW USER, THERE IS A LINK TO CREATE A NEW APPLICATION AND ADDING A NEW CUSTOMER. THE NEW CUSTOMER PAGE HAS FIEDS TO ENTER PASSPORT NUMBER, EXPIRY DATE AND NATIONALITY. SINCE I AM APPLYING FOR INDIA CITIZENSHIP RENUNCIATION, I HAVE THE USA PASSPORT AND INDIAN PASSPORT AS OF NOW. I WANTED TO KNOW WHICH PASSPORT NUMBER TO ENTER - SHOULD THIS BE USA PASSPORT NUMBER OR INDIA PASSPORT NUMBER THAT I AM PLANNING TO RENUNCIATE? Any Help here would be great.
Secondly i am also renunciating the indian passport of my child. My child does not have a naturalization certificate, she only has a USA passport. What should i enter in the date of naturalization in the VFS add new customer page. And in the document checklist i see we need to send a copy of naturalization certificate, is it ok to send one of the parents naturalization certificate.
VFS renunciation application form, US passport number or Indian passport number.
When I try to create a renunciation application on VFS and add an applicant, it gives me a web form to fill which has the field Passport number, Passport Expiry date just below the Government reference number. Should this be the new US passport number or the old Indian passport number?
What did you all fill when you applied for your application?
I applied for my Renunciation on Dec 3rd 2020. My legal name had changed during naturalization and i applied with the new name. however a few days later, I got an email asking to provide a court order copy of the name change. The Customer service rep asked me to provide a notarized affidavit of my new name and old name which i did. 3 weeks later the website says the affidavit is not acceptable and they need a court order. I'm not aware of a court order that is provided when you change your name during naturalization and I did provide a copy of my US naturalization certificate. Does anyone know what to do? As i cant apply for OCI without the renunciation certificate and the Support center is clueless on how to proceed.
SURRENDER CERTIFICATE USING VFS SUCCESS STORY - NY
I received my surrender certificate today.
Here is my experience:
1. Approx time 3 weeks for completion
2. Did not upload an electronic picture or signature online
3. Used UPS for sending the material and put a pr-paid self-addressed UPS envelope in the packet. They used it and shipped the passport + certificate in that envelope.
4. I pasted one picture on the form and sent two loose pictures, but they returned the two loose pictures.
5. I did receive frequent updates on my case via email from VFS - in total, I think there were three emails over three weeks.
What if your middle name is not present in Indian passport but US passport has middle name in renunciation application?
Things are absolutely unorganized and all the instructions are absolutely vague on the VFS website. Plus my name is different on the US and Indian passport so lets see what issues they give me, already anticipating a lot. Anyone who submitted renunciation application and have different names on US and Indian passport or only middle name is different, please let me know what experience you had!
Disclaimer: Please note that the experiences presented are submitted by visitors to our website. Individuals’ experiences may vary, and you should interpret each individual’s experience at your own risk. Do not make a decision solely based on an experience posted here. We do not endorse any individuals’ experiences, and we are not liable or responsible for consequences stemming from your use of the information presented within any individual’s experience.