Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by notmechanic View Post
    Hello all,

We would like to get your opinion on our case since we will be graduating soon and will become unemployed by the end of May. My next employer was expecting me to start on May 1st but unfortunately, we have not received the EAD, yet. We wanted to file a petition to expedite the process but it seems like the chances are very low (around 1% as we have written to our congressman and haven't heard back yet).

Our lawyer told us getting the work permit takes approximately 5.5-7.5 months but some of the cases posted on this forum say that it is possible to receive the EAD before 5 months so we wanted to get some feedback.

We are both anxious given that my F1 visa is also going to expire so I won't be able to seek employment. All recommendations are very appreciated!

Here's our timeline:

F1 student, filed through marriage /w USC from TX office
    11/21/19 - USCIS received files for I-485, I-130, I-131, and I-765 including the medical examination
    12/19/19 - Biometrics were taken for the case
    12/19/19 - I-765 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken
    01/22/20 - I-485 - RFIE (Birth and marriage certificates even though we sent them in the application)
    02/06/20 - I-485 - Sent the response for RFIE
    3/27/20 - I-485 - Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
    3/12/20 - I-131 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken
    no updates since then
    Does your school offer OPT? That should get you a year or so of buffer time.

Comment

• Did you apply for OPT?
      you can enroll back in school and maintain your status as F1 until you get your EAD/GC.
      I am not sure but many people get their EAD in 3-4 months after their biometrics. Of course you are not going to have a job without EAD but at least you can maintain your status on F1.

Comment

• Hello,

I Am currently on F-1 and my master s program ending this week.I already received my Combo card as i applied for AOS through USC spouse.I have question since i already have my EAD card,do i need to take another program till i get my GC? Or is it fine since i already have my green card EAD.Someone please help!

Thank you in advance..

Comment

• Originally posted by januvia View Post
          Hello,

I Am currently on F-1 and my master s program ending this week.I already received my Combo card as i applied for AOS through USC spouse.I have question since i already have my EAD card,do i need to take another program till i get my GC? Or is it fine since i already have my green card EAD.Someone please help!

Thank you in advance..
          No, you don't need to take another program (unless you want to!). You can work wherever you want now. Until you get your green card, you'll be out of status, but that's forgiven as a courtesy to USC. So, at the interview, when they ask you if you were ever out of status, you say "yes" and explain the circumstances. .
          F1 AOS though marriage to a USC
          Field Office: Pittsburgh
          10/17: PD
          12/9: biometrics appointment
          12/13/19: “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken”
          1/15: RFIE sent by USCIS
          1/20: RFIE received in the mailbox
          1/29: RFIE response sent (overnight)
          1/30: "RFIE received by uscis"
          02/06: ready to be scheduled for an interview.
          02/07: Interview scheduled
          02/19/20: EAD production
          03/17: interview cancelled
          04/29/20: GC being produced, same day: I-485 and I-130 case approved

Comment

• Originally posted by notmechanic View Post
            Hello all,

We would like to get your opinion on our case since we will be graduating soon and will become unemployed by the end of May. My next employer was expecting me to start on May 1st but unfortunately, we have not received the EAD, yet. We wanted to file a petition to expedite the process but it seems like the chances are very low (around 1% as we have written to our congressman and haven't heard back yet).

Our lawyer told us getting the work permit takes approximately 5.5-7.5 months but some of the cases posted on this forum say that it is possible to receive the EAD before 5 months so we wanted to get some feedback.

We are both anxious given that my F1 visa is also going to expire so I won't be able to seek employment. All recommendations are very appreciated!

Here's our timeline:

F1 student, filed through marriage /w USC from TX office
            11/21/19 - USCIS received files for I-485, I-130, I-131, and I-765 including the medical examination
            12/19/19 - Biometrics were taken for the case
            12/19/19 - I-765 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken
            01/22/20 - I-485 - RFIE (Birth and marriage certificates even though we sent them in the application)
            02/06/20 - I-485 - Sent the response for RFIE
            3/27/20 - I-485 - Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
            3/12/20 - I-131 - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken
            no updates since then
            File the request to expedite. What can you lose? The worse that can happen: expedite request denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by ra0010 View Post

No, you don't need to take another program (unless you want to!). You can work wherever you want now. Until you get your green card, you'll be out of status, but that's forgiven as a courtesy to USC. So, at the interview, when they ask you if you were ever out of status, you say "yes" and explain the circumstances. .
              Thank you..

Comment

• Field office Boston
                10/28/2019 Packet sent by UPS
                10/30/2019 Packet received by USCIS
                11/20/2019 Called USCIS and sent email inquiry nothing in system
                11/21/2019 Called USCIS right when they opened and was told Notice for I130 mailed out on the 20th and was given receipt number
                11/22/2019 Early morning received 6 text messages 2 duplicates I130, I485, I131 and I765
                11/26/2019 Received all NOA notices via postal mail
                12/06/2019 Received Biometrics for 12/18/2019 dated 11/29/2019
                12/18/2019 Biometrics completed
                12/18/2019 Fingerprint review completed for form I-485 via text message
                12/18/2019 Fingerprint review completed for form I-765 via text message
                1/21/2020 Case updated to I-485 Ready to be scheduled for an Interview
                1/28/2020 Case has been scheduled for an interview
                1/3/2020 Interview letter received
                3/3/2020 Interview Date
                3/3/2020 Case Status changed for the I130 to show interview was completed and my case must be reviewed
                3/5/2020 Case Status changed for I131 Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken.
                4/29/2020 Text received new card is being produced for I-765. Yeah patience is working
                4/30/2020 Text received case for I-765 approved. Backwards but i will accept no problem!
                4/30/2020 Text received I-131 approved!!!! Feeling so gooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                5/1/2020 Tex received your EAD Combo Card is being mailed
                5/6/2020 EAD Combo Card and SS# Card received in the mail today!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by tunderenee View Post
                  Field office Boston
                  10/28/2019 Packet sent by UPS
                  10/30/2019 Packet received by USCIS
                  11/20/2019 Called USCIS and sent email inquiry nothing in system
                  11/21/2019 Called USCIS right when they opened and was told Notice for I130 mailed out on the 20th and was given receipt number
                  11/22/2019 Early morning received 6 text messages 2 duplicates I130, I485, I131 and I765
                  11/26/2019 Received all NOA notices via postal mail
                  12/06/2019 Received Biometrics for 12/18/2019 dated 11/29/2019
                  12/18/2019 Biometrics completed
                  12/18/2019 Fingerprint review completed for form I-485 via text message
                  12/18/2019 Fingerprint review completed for form I-765 via text message
                  1/21/2020 Case updated to I-485 Ready to be scheduled for an Interview
                  1/28/2020 Case has been scheduled for an interview
                  1/3/2020 Interview letter received
                  3/3/2020 Interview Date
                  3/3/2020 Case Status changed for the I130 to show interview was completed and my case must be reviewed
                  3/5/2020 Case Status changed for I131 Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken.
                  4/29/2020 Text received new card is being produced for I-765. Yeah patience is working
                  4/30/2020 Text received case for I-765 approved. Backwards but i will accept no problem!
                  4/30/2020 Text received I-131 approved!!!! Feeling so gooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  5/1/2020 Tex received your EAD Combo Card is being mailed
                  5/6/2020 EAD Combo Card and SS# Card received in the mail today!!!
                  Yaaayyyyy!!!! Congrats!

Comment

• After 202 days, RFE, EAD, interview cancelled and así ves, RFE again and approval... END OF JOURNEY!!!! GREEN CARD IN HAND!!!! WOHOOOOOO!

Comment

After 202 days, RFE, EAD, interview cancelled and así ves, RFE again and approval... END OF JOURNEY!!!! GREEN CARD IN HAND!!!! WOHOOOOOO!
                      Congratulations...Your interview was waived?

Comment

• Congratulations ! Happy for you !. At the same time this kind of differential treatment by USCIS is not fair on other applicants who have been waiting longer.
                        We filed in July. ( marriage based, married to USC) We of course have a legitimate marriage. We both are physicians on frontline of COVID. And our interview is on hold and GC is on hold as well. There has been no response from uscis to our multiple queries
                        The rules have to be fair and same for everyone.
                        Last edited by notpatientanymore; 05-06-2020, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Congratulations...Your interview was waived?
                          Thank. Yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by notpatientanymore View Post
                            Congratulations ! Happy for you !. At the same time this kind of differential treatment by USCIS is not fair on other applicants who have been waiting longer.
                            We filed in July. ( marriage based, married to USC) We of course have a legitimate marriage. We both are physicians on frontline of COVID. And our interview is on hold and GC is on hold as well. There has been no response from uscis to our multiple queries
                            The rules have to be fair and same for everyone.
                            If I were you, I would totally feel the same way. What's your FO?

Comment

Thank. Yes.
                              Thats great! did they send you any letter before waiving your interview or they just processed your Card...Did you submitted any documents?

Comment

Thats great! did they send you any letter before waiving your interview or they just processed your Card...Did you submitted any documents?
                                The FO sent me a letter requesting for evidence of bona fide marriage, so we sent them everything we were going to show at our interview.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X