221(g) yellow form during H1B Visa stamping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

received ppt after

finally received my ppt after 12 working days...
    holiday season and weather added wait time.

Comment

Got My passport in 2 days!

Hello Guys,

I submitted passport on Tuesday, and got my passport in 2 days I wish you all best of luck!! And I thank God for ending this ordeal for me.

Below are my details:

Interview Date: 12/06/2010
      Admin Processing : Yellow 221 G, no documents asked
      Email Date: 01/10/2011
      Total days in Admin Processing 34 days (25 Business days)
      Passport Submission Date: 01/11/2011
      Passport Received on : 01/14/2011
      Total days from the Date of the Interview: 40 !!! (can not beleive I waited that LONG)
      Total Business days 29

Comment

H1B visa stamping

I am an Indian working for a state university in the US and have an H1B approval notice. Earlier I was on J1 visa and I got it from England (including the visa stamp). I am planning to visit India and was thinking if it is a good idea to get it stamped from Mexico (Tijuana) or Canada (Calgary) before visiting India. Or shall I just go for stampin in India at Mumbai consulate? Which one would be more promising and less risky?

After reading a lot of posts about 221 (g), I feel less inclined to get it stamped from India even though I work for a well known University.

Any help would appreciated.

Comment

Got 221 g on 6th Dec in Mumbai

Hi,
          I am a full time employee at a Fortune 500 company for the last 5 years (this is my 4th H1-B) and my green card has been applied for.
          The VO told me to show him a letter from my employer with my job duties - and the interview was over in a few minutes. Got handed the yellow 221 g slip and havent heard back from the consulate. The VO assured me that we will hear back in 3-4 days and we can travel on 14th Dec....

Made numerous rounds to the consulate information booth - they canceled our existing visa (which was valid through April 2011) and their latest update was 'weather issues in the States are causing a delay in application process checks' which didnt make much sense to me.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Comment

Interview on 3rd dec and still waiting...

@ 221g_yellow_6Dec : where did you find the status? I had visited information booth lot many times and they tell thats its under processing and nothing more. I also heard that they have closed the window now. Is that true.

I am already tired postponing my tickets and the wait is killing. Has anyone found any way to know the status?

Comment

Got 221 g on 6th Dec in Mumbai

@ msan - you are right.. there is no way to check the status, but if you speak politely to the folks at the information booth (open from 9 am to 11:30 am on weekdays at Mumbai) and possibly a manager; they will inform you that they cannot advise your or give you a status update.
              However, if you request them to check to see if the application has returned from the States to the Consulate - they can do so. In my case there has been no movement and nothing has moved from the States. (they might require your passport or your name to do so - sadly, they blamed the weather when I went there this Tuesday and stated that loads of application checks are pending due to the weather)

I saw a post of someone stating that they sent their application details to the consulate email address which could lead somewhere - but I agree with you; the wait is VERY frustrating.
              I have changed my air tickets 7 times and have been warned that I cannot change it anymore by the airline.

Comment

@ 221g_yellow_6Dec: I agree its really frustrating. Wait is the 'Only' option.
                I had visted the information booth couple of times and sometimes they told me they are waiting for security clearance from DOS, other time they mentioned that its under process at the consulate. When called VFS helpline today, they told me that the case is pending at the mumbai consulate. I dont understand who tells the facts and whats going on.

Lets pray and hope that we are out of this soon.

Comment

Information window now closed

@msan - agreed; waiting is the only option (albeit - very painful). I am not sure that VFS knows what is happening either at the consulate or with the applications.

You were right; the information window is indeed closed. I just emailed the mumbai consulate and got this response 'Starting January 19, 2011 Consulate General Information window will be closed.'

Comment

Has anyone tried calling DOS recently? I am tryimg tp call them since last two days and no one is picking up. I am kept on wait for more than half hour.

Comment

same experience

@221g_yellow_6Dec ,msan - I have been going through same experiences as you , mine has been pending since 16th nov . Enquiry window used to give me different answers mostly 'no info' but sometimes like security clearance in Us , weather problems but i dont know which is true.
                      Now they have closed down information window , its hard to get even little info from vfs phone or email. DOS helpline has not been much helpful too , they even shout at me 'dont you read the website on 221g we cant give any info'

I dont understand what they gain from keeping us in the dark!

I agree with you two wait seems the only option

Comment

Its really frustrating. I have started to give up already. My employer is not understanding the situation and feels that I am holidaying here by lying to them.
                        I am already tired to explaining that this is not in my hands and I am trying to do my best following up but they feel that I am harrasing them purposefully.

221g wait time is taking a toll on both my personal life and professional life. My husband is alone in U.S and my employer can cancel my visa anytime now.

Comment

@rks123 and msan - I can only imagine the pain felt by your employer and everyone else. (I am there too)
                          What your management and employer need to understand (perhaps with the help of your company immigration lawyers) is that administrative processing is quite common and completely out of your control.

Given that I dont even have a parking ticket to my name and have been in the States since my masters in 2002; am not quite sure what 'qualified' me to be chosen for the infamous 221 (g). According to my lawyers - they are certain this is some sort of a security check since it has lasted as long as it has.
                          I am pretty certain that employment termination would be unlawful given that this isn't a situation we can control at all.

Losing hope won't get any of us anywhere - especially if our 'adopted' home decides to throw this yellow sheet at us; we need to wait it out ... but I would love to return and understand what causes this mess and how can one resolve it at the soonest.

Comment

Originally posted by msan View Post
                            Its really frustrating. I have started to give up already. My employer is not understanding the situation and feels that I am holidaying here by lying to them.
                            I am already tired to explaining that this is not in my hands and I am trying to do my best following up but they feel that I am harrasing them purposefully.

221g wait time is taking a toll on both my personal life and professional life. My husband is alone in U.S and my employer can cancel my visa anytime now.
                            Msan,
                            I am exactly in the same situation as u are in. I am really scared i will lose my job and my husband is alone in the US
                            I scaned the yellow note and sent it to my employer. That help them understand that this situation is really and i am not partying here. And requested them to call DOS/mumbai consulate if they wanted to verify what was happening.
                            before that they just kept asking me "y i couldnt come back if i had my passport and the visa approval"
                            I cant wait to get out of this crazy situation
                            Sam

Comment

giving 221g for no reason to people who are working already in US makes no sense....I pity the people who come to india for vacation and go thru this nightmare...

i wish they understand how many people we have to answer back in US

god bless india

Comment

Mumbai consulate has started with case status report since yesterday. Though, it only shows cleared cases, it may be helpful. check this out.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X