Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certified Indian passport copy for ITIN (How to get it ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dnmech View Post
    They rejected the application.
    I also did the same thing, not received any information from them till now. What is your next plan?

Comment

Originally posted by phanicon View Post
      I would like to share the experience with my wife's ITIN process

March 4th 2013 - We went to TAC office near Dallas and submitted the ITIN application and the tax returns. We took her original passport and didn't take any certified copy from the Indian consulate.

April 5th 2013 - Got the ITIN no. with the notice date of April 3rd 2013.

April 14th 2013 - In the IRS 'Where's My Refund' tool, my tax application's status got updated to Return Received. I am hoping for the refund to get approved without any notice from IRS to send her original passport.
      Hi Phanicon,
      Did you get your refund. How long was it actually took after you receive tour ITIN and what was the updated status In the IRS 'Where's My Refund' tool.

Please share

Comment

Certified copies as precautionary measure

Hi,

With so many rejections taking place ,even after visiting the IRS TAC with original documents , my heart is sinking.

I called my wife from India , for this very purpose and applied the ITIN at Indianapolis TAC , on 8th of April , I didnt hear anything from IRS yet , as only 2 weeks have passed , the thing is she is going back to India on 6th of May and I am worried what if I get IRS query to send the original passport once she is not here.

In order to prepare myself for the worst , am planning to get the certified copies of her passport from Indian consulate before she leaves , can somebody please suggest if any consulate can do that or I need to go to the specific consulate for my state.

I live in Columbus and the nearest one is Chicago , but Ohio comes under NY consulate , I tried calling Indian Embassy Chicago and mailed them but didnt get any response.

Comment

Originally posted by bn69531 View Post
          I also did the same thing, not received any information from them till now. What is your next plan?
          I am waiting for any letter from them, only then i can plan my next step. My tax consultant also does not have any idea so far.

Comment

Originally posted by tvns2003 View Post
            Hi All ,

I went to local IRS 3 weeks back and submitted the W7 Application for ITIN for my wife. At that time they verified/certified her passport and took the application. Today i received notice from IRS asking to send original passport or certified copy. My wife is currently in India and will take some time for her to come back. Not sure why i got the notice again as the local IRS certified the passport and accepted the application. Did anyone face the same issue ? How do i get the certified copy of the passport from India ?
            Should we get it from Regional passport office in india or from US Consulate in India ?

Thanks,
            Tubati
            same here. I went to the IRS office in merryville, indiana which they have listed in the IRS website as one of the IRS offices that do passport verification. But i got a mail from IRS office a couple of days back asking me to send the original passport or the certified copy from embassy.

Alternative is to send 1. proof of foreign status, state id (an id with photo) and original birth certificate instead of passport

Comment

I also followed the same process - sent certified copy of the passport (from India). Today I have received notice that asking for passport again. Problem is the notice doesn't tell or provide any info about what is wrong with the passport copy. I have two options left over -
              1. resend the passport copy again
              2. loose the return

If any one encounter this kind of notice, please post what you have done.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by mikehill View Post
                Hi Phanicon,
                Did you get your refund. How long was it actually took after you receive tour ITIN and what was the updated status In the IRS 'Where's My Refund' tool.

Please share
                I got my refund on April 24th

Comment

Originally posted by gurunathp View Post
                  I also followed the same process - sent certified copy of the passport (from India). Today I have received notice that asking for passport again. Problem is the notice doesn't tell or provide any info about what is wrong with the passport copy. I have two options left over -
                  1. resend the passport copy again
                  2. loose the return

If any one encounter this kind of notice, please post what you have done.

Thank you
                  I submitted the return on April 10th and I haven't get any response from them. When did you filed the return.

Comment

I submitted the return on April 10th and I haven't get any response from them. When did you filed the return.
                    Application reached them on Mar 30 Saturday. It took complete 4 weeks to receive the notice.

Comment

• ITIN rejected

I asked my wife to go to Mumbai consulate and we paid 50$ to get a certified copy from the embassy. I got a response saying that I did not submit original passport.

My wife's name is mispelled on the letter. I am so annoyed at this.

dnmech...wats ur next step?

Please help

Comment

• Originally posted by abhatt View Post
                        I asked my wife to go to Mumbai consulate and we paid 50$ to get a certified copy from the embassy. I got a response saying that I did not submit original passport.

My wife's name is mispelled on the letter. I am so annoyed at this.

dnmech...wats ur next step?

Please help
                        Even though they prefer original passport, but not necessary. I think the name mismatch might be reason in your case. It is one of the passport criteria they verify. As per the query that I received, A valid passport / certified copy must meet the these criteria:
                        1. Be issued by a foreign country recognized by the US State Department
                        2. Be unexpired
                        3. Show a photograph that identifies you, the applicant
                        4. Show your name (must match your name on the Form W-7 and your tax return)
                        5. Be legible
                        6. Require no translation

- - - Updated - - -

Does any one have ITIN application processed with certified passport copy from India?

Comment

• WMR Status

I filed my return and submitted W7 form , Indianapolis TAC on April 8th.
                          Since then am checking Where is My Return (WMR) for the status and it asked to wait for 4 weeks , after 4 weeks when I tried I am seeing -

We cannot provide any information about your refund. Be sure to:
                          verify your filing date;
                          check with your tax preparer

Did anybody who went through the same process and got refund ,please suggest whether this WMR status is indicating that they have rejected the W7/1040. ?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by gurunathp View Post
                            Application reached them on Mar 30 Saturday. It took complete 4 weeks to receive the notice.
                            I got my state tax credited to my account yesterday, No update on Federal tax yet

Comment

• Helpful

Hi this is helpful information.
                              Please can you clarify following.
                              Do I need to notarize & send just the child's passport copies or both child's and parents?

Thanks

Originally posted by lakshmiram View Post
                              Hi All,
                              I would like to share my experience on the ITIN application. This thread might be helpful for those who dont have an IRS Key Taxpayer Assistance Center nearby or neither can go to the embassy in person.

I'm currently in H4 and to file joint return i need to apply for ITIN.
                              Since IRS no more accepts notarized copies of passport we have to either send the original passport or certified copy.

The Chicago embassy certifies passport copy without even sending them any originals. You need to send,
                              1. A filled copy of the miscelleneous application form (available in the embassy website)
                              2. Two notarized copies of the running pages of the passport along with the VISA and I94 page
                              3. Notarized copy of H4 extension copy with I94 in case VISA expired
                              4. Notarized copy of Address proof such as License or utility bills
                              5. Money order/cashier check for $13 per 1 passport certification
                              6. A return prepaid envelope or $20 for sending back the certified passport copy.
                              More details and application form available in their website

It just took me a week to get the certified copy of the passport. 3 days for my mail to reach them, 1 day for certification and 3 days for the return mail to reach me!!!

For the ITIN,
                              1. W7 form filled
                              2. Certified passport copy including VISA and I94 page
                              3. Notarized copy of H4 extension copy with I94 in case VISA expired
                              4. W2 Return

We went to the IRS directly and they verified the documents and accepted the return (on Mar 3rd). In a week I got a notice (dated mar 8) from IRS that my ITIN application received and they are returning the original documents. They returned the certified passport copy.

The next week I got my my ITIN (Dated Mar 15) in mail. It just took 2 weeks for IRS to send me my ITIN and without sending my original passport.
                              Also this is the case with Chicago embassy. So pls check with other embassies if they accept notarized passport copies for certification.

Hope this thread may be helpful

Comment

• I heard that we cannot file state taxes without ITIN...
                                Both ITIN and Federal tax return processes works simultaneously...once you get ITIN then you can file state taxes until then you can not...

This is what i have heard from tax consultant...please Correct me if i was wrong

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X