Media Visa Stamping Documents

You must apply to the appropriate U.S. consulate or embassy with the following documents to obtain an I-visa, which is also known as the media visa.

Mandatory documents

  • Current passport as well as old passports 

  • One photograph (Only for a dropbox appointment)

  • Confirmation page of online submitted Form DS-160 with CEAC bar code. 

  • Visa fees
    Fees to be paid in advance before taking an appointment. 

  • Interview appointment letter.

Supporting documents

  • Proof of the work you will do in the U.S. 

  • Press card/credentials 

  • Proof of employment:
    • Staff Journalist: An employer letter that contains the name of the employee and position held in the company, as well as the purpose and length of stay in the U.S. It should also indicate the number of years you have been with your employer as well as the number of years of journalism experience you have. 

    • Freelance Journalist under contract to a media organization: A copy of the contract with the organization, which shows the employee’s name and position held in the company, purpose, and length of stay in the U.S., required duration for filming in the U.S. and duration of the contract, as well as press card/credentials. Also, they must hold a credential issued by a professional journalistic association. Optionally, you may also be asked for proof of journalistic work done in the past 6 months.

    • Media Film Crew: Employment letter that includes
      • Employee name
      • Position held within the company
      • Title and a brief description of the program being filmed
      • Required duration for filming in the U.S.

    • Independent Production Company under contract to a media organization: A letter from the organization commissioning the work that provides the following information:
      • Name
      • Title and a brief description of the program being filmed
      • Required duration for filming in the U.S.
      • Duration of contract

  • At some consulates, a self-addressed, stamped envelope large enough for your passport and all submitted documents.

Documents for Spouse/Children

For each applicant, in addition to the mandatory documents listed above, the following documents are required for dependent spouse/children:

  • If applying together with the primary applicant:
  • If applying separately from the primary applicant:
    • In case of spouse, original marriage certificate

    • In case of each child, original birth certificate.

    • Proof that your spouse is a genuine representative of a foreign press, radio, film or other information medium that has its home office in a foreign country, or is a duly accredited representative of a tourist bureau operated by a foreign government. 

    • Proof of the work the primary applicant will do in the U.S. 

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?


For visitors, travel, student and other international travel medical insurance.

Visit or call +1 (866) INSUBUY or +1 (972) 985-4400