Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone,
    I’m new to the forum, and happy to meet you all.

I filed my i-485 in February 2021 based on asylum in Chicago center, and haven’t received my GC yet.
    on the other side, I’ve got married to a US citizen about a year ago.
    Is it a good idea to file another i-485 based on marriage? Which one is faster?

Is there anyone has i-485 in Chicago center?

thanks for help

Comment

• Hi everyone,

For those who got a notification that their case was transferred, do they tell you where did it transfer to? which local office? Thanks

Comment

• Hello everyone,
        If you filed your case a while ago, especially say over two years ago and your case don’t seem to be moving, please check the receipt you got from USCIS for whatever form you filed to make sure there are no errors, something as simple as your date of birth being wrong can keep your case from going anywhere. It doesn’t even have to be your fault, the person who entered your info into their system can mess things up and your case will be stagnant, check your receipt, chat with Ema and then a rep on their website just to confirm that all your informations are correct. I wonder why they don’t write to tell you that they gat issues with your info, they just push the case aside and you keep waiting….… Crazy.

Comment

• Hi everyone, I got a text message and email from USCIS as ‘we have taken action on your case’, but when I enter case status, no update. Is anyone else getting these texts/emails too?

Comment

• For those people who recently got notified that their cases were transferred from TSC to Nebraska, did you guys hear anything? Or they are transferring and letting the cases sit in Nebraska too?

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetsuchino View Post
              Hello everyone,
              If you filed your case a while ago, especially say over two years ago and your case don’t seem to be moving, please check the receipt you got from USCIS for whatever form you filed to make sure there are no errors, something as simple as your date of birth being wrong can keep your case from going anywhere. It doesn’t even have to be your fault, the person who entered your info into their system can mess things up and your case will be stagnant, check your receipt, chat with Ema and then a rep on their website just to confirm that all your informations are correct. I wonder why they don’t write to tell you that they gat issues with your info, they just push the case aside and you keep waiting….… Crazy.
              With all the respect, while it's completely true that you need to make sure the information on your form is correct, such as your name and DOB, your statements lack merit and is simply not an accurate reflection of how the cases are processed nor the reason vast majority of the cases got delayed.

First of all, there is a streamlined procedure in place for the intake personnel to match your case to you A-File. You need to fill in A number in your form and they will need to do a match. Unless you don't have a A file(which asylee all have), your DoB on the form don't matter much.

Also you get another chance to check the information at the ASC appointment.

Lastly, there are procedures in place if there is a identity mismatch, either the applicant is claiming a different name, or different DoB. That procedure is refer for an interview.

It is simply not the case that if you got a mistake your case will be put aside. That is a complete lie and false.

There might be occasional cases where cases get delayed for a mix of factors, that might include a information mismatch, but what you said simply is not true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonardi View Post
                Hi everyone, I got a text message and email from USCIS as ‘we have taken action on your case’, but when I enter case status, no update. Is anyone else getting these texts/emails too?
                It could be the officer retrieved your file or prepare it for processing actions such as transfer a case, or referral for interview, or approval/NOID.

This happens time to time.

The email you received should have detailed message about what action they are taking.

Next time please provide those details.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marya_B View Post
                  Hi everyone,
                  I’m new to the forum, and happy to meet you all.

I filed my i-485 in February 2021 based on asylum in Chicago center, and haven’t received my GC yet.
                  on the other side, I’ve got married to a US citizen about a year ago.
                  Is it a good idea to file another i-485 based on marriage? Which one is faster?

Is there anyone has i-485 in Chicago center?

thanks for help
                  That is not recommended and generally you are not getting any faster, as of today's processing times.

However, you can file immediately for a I-130 petition. If the case dragged on you can request a change of basis in writing to USCIS.

Lastly there is no so called "Chicago center". Chicago lockbox don't adjudicate any cases, simply receive the mail and prepare the case and send it to your local field office.

With that, I don't expect too much difference in terms of processing times for asylum vs family based because they are processed in the same local office.

Comment

• Originally posted by flando View Post

It could be the officer retrieved your file or prepare it for processing actions such as transfer a case, or referral for interview, or approval/NOID.

This happens time to time.

The email you received should have detailed message about what action they are taking.

Next time please provide those details.
                    There is no detail. I think it is a glitch that sometimes can happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetsuchino View Post
                      Hi Flando,
                      A family of four applied for green card in February of 2020, they just moved three of the cases to a different office, any idea why they didn’t move the fourth one? The person was the primary person for the asylum application, it was the person alone that was interviewed and asylum was granted to all four applicants. Any idea why this person’s file wasn’t transferred along with the others and is that a bad or good thing?
                      Thanks for your help always.
                      Did they transfer to NBC? If the one that was not transferred is primary it could be for interview since usually interview is required for derivatives if they didn't interview during asylum interview.

Comment

• Hi,
                        I received the notice said My case was transferred to NBC. No idea whats going on ? I applied in December 2019.

Comment

• Originally posted by afrguy View Post

Did they transfer to NBC? If the one that was not transferred is primary it could be for interview since usually interview is required for derivatives if they didn't interview during asylum interview.
                          You mean they may wanna interview the other three ppl since they weren’t interviewed before? Makes sense but two of them are kids, 8 and 6… What could they get from them as per interview? Anyway, the primary person whose case wasn’t transferred has his date of birth wrong on his form I-485 receipt n didn’t notice until now, almost two years, used the receipt to request for a travel document replacement, just like how the other three got their cases transferred n his wasn’t, same way they got their travel documents but he didn’t get his, so I’m thinking it’s the wrong date of birth that’s holding his cases back. He just tried to fix it online though, you know, one of those forms they have you fill out on their website. Fingers crossed and thanks for your input.
                          Last edited by sweetsuchino; 01-29-2022, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• From what I understand, interviews are not that rare now since they started sending applications to the NBC. Which will eventually send your application to your local field office for an interview. Any body has more info with this?

Comment

• Guys need help. What does it mean?

Comment

• Hello everyone.
                                I received a mail Fromm USCIS a few days ago saying that my application for I-485 was transferred to the National Benefits Center in order to SPEED UP processing (lol)

- So March 28th 2018 Asylum granted
                                - May 1st 2019 I-485 Application.... so it's 33 months, almost 3 years that I applied for my GC, and still waiting.

Do you guys think when the applications are transferred to that service, they will requested another interview?? if so, why? the asylum status is alredy granted.

I have been waiting for my GC for now 3 years to join the National guards. they request at least green card to applicants. time is flying, I am now almost 29 and still not sure how long I will have to wait.
                                of course some people here say we should not complain and be grateful for our current status but also waiting indefinitely mess up people's plan. although we can lawfully work in the US, some of us get stuck in their careers because they are still asylees.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X