Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dnanix View Post

I think the main issue is renewing your passport after you were granted asylum, this could mean that you are still protected under your country of origin. This might cause issues when applying for permanent residency or naturalization.
    My question is how do they now that you did use your passport? As far as I remember they don't ask that question in the application for permanent resident adjust of status... don't know about citizenship.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiGold View Post

My question is how do they now that you did use your passport? As far as I remember they don't ask that question in the application for permanent resident adjust of status... don't know about citizenship.
      When you travel the officer will check your passport.
      And you have to list all your travels on i485.

Comment

I know a lot of people who travels using their passport around the world, so there is no clear information about that.
        Well, good luck during naturalization.

its pretty clear explained under USCIS policy regarding obtaining RTD. I wouldn

Comment

I know a lot of people who travels using their passport around the world, so there is no clear information about that.
          ALIEN HAS A TRAVEL DOCUMENT FROM HIS/HER COUNTRY

Similarly, if the applicant for a U.S. Refugee Travel Document is in the possession of a valid travel document from the country of nationality, the Form I-131 may also be deniable. There is no absolute prohibition against issuing a travel document to permit a refugee to travel to the country of last residence; however, travel to that country may preclude the alien from establishing eligibility for permanent residence under section 209 of the Act.

In the absence of the contrary, a refugee who applies for and obtains a national passport or its renewal will be presumed to have intended to re-avail or return to the protections of the country of persecution. However, obtaining other documents, such as birth or marriage records, cannot be regarded as re-availment of protection. Some countries may issue passports without intending any protection to the recipient.

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...0-0-20211.html

Comment

If I remember correctly, there's a question in the application for adjustment of status about obtaining a passport from your country of origin. Also using the passport when coming back to the U.S. will be recorded in your file which might be reviewed when making the decision about permanent residency or naturalization.

Comment

• Originally posted by chiccat View Post

Well, good luck during naturalization.

its pretty clear explained under USCIS policy regarding obtaining RTD. I wouldn
              Well, I agree with you, it's always better to just follow the rules. Which I did last year, when traveled outside of USA. But again I know real cases.

Comment

• Hello everyone, I have some good news to share with you guys.

My green was finally approved!!! 18 months of devastating journey. Finally over!!

September 29, 2016 - Asylum approved.

October 23, 2017 - I-485 was received by the NSC USCIS.

December 7, 2017 - Biometric was completed.

June 28, 2018 - Case was received by NYC Brooklyn Field Office.

August 6, 2018 - An inquiry is submitted for outside normal processing time to USCIS, Congressman, Senator and Ombudsman office.

September 12, 2018 - Infopass appointment.

December 3, 2018 - My case was Interviewed at Brooklyn Field office. 120 days notice issued.

April 3, 2019 - Congressman response case was under active examination.

April 10, 2019 - Ombudsman office contacted USCIS.

April 23, 2019 - Ombudsman office responsed decision will be made within 90 days.

April 23, 2019 - My case was approved!

April 25, 2019 - My card was being produced!

April 26, 2019 - Notice of Approval was received in mail!

April 29, 2019 - My Green card was received in mail!
                I would like thank you everyone who shared their experiences and prayed for me. DON'T give up guys use the all resources, if you believe your case is taking longer than usual.

I waited total of 18 months including 4 and half month after the interview.

Comment

• Congrats

Comment

• Biometrics done - now wait game! I will update you guys if I get any news!

March 25 - i-485 package sent
                    April 8 - i-485 received / Fingerprint fee received by Nebraska Service Center
                    April 15 - Receipt Notice got in mail
                    April 22 - Biometric Notice got in mail
                    April 30 - Biometric done

-------------------------

Comment

• Just checked the USCIS status on i-485, i-765, i-131 ----- it says i-765, "Fingerprint review completed" --- weird?
                      i-485 and i-131 are not changed "Fingerprint fee received"

Comment

• Originally posted by kastolife View Post
                        Just checked the USCIS status on i-485, i-765, i-131 ----- it says i-765, "Fingerprint review completed" --- weird?
                        i-485 and i-131 are not changed "Fingerprint fee received"

That is normal. Different applications, different people take care of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by kDon View Post
                          Hello everyone, I have some good news to share with you guys.

My green was finally approved!!! 18 months of devastating journey. Finally over!!

I would like thank you everyone who shared their experiences and prayed for me. DON'T give up guys use the all resources, if you believe your case is taking longer than usual.

Would you mind sharing what you were asked during the interview? My case was transferred to Asylum office too. I submitted the inquiry for outside normal processing time. I also setup Infopass appointment and went to inquire. I called USCIS a week ago and had them open a case on my behalf. But still no response

Comment

• ------ Fingerprint Review was completed in just 1 day of Biometric ------
                            Is this normal?

May 1 - Status changed "Fingerprint Review Was Completed".

Comment

• Originally posted by kastolife View Post
                              ------ Fingerprint Review was completed in just 1 day of Biometric ------
                              Is this normal?

May 1 - Status changed "Fingerprint Review Was Completed".

I think so. Mine changed less than 2 hours after I had my biometrics taken. It's been 18 days and still waiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by kDon View Post
                                Hello everyone, I have some good news to share with you guys.

Congrats..... I submitted my i-485 in NSC on 1st Aug, 2017 after waiting 19 months case was sent to NBC Lee summit, MO on March 6th, 2019 and after that no update only after 15-20 days i receive an email stated there's no update on your case last action we took on your case on April 18, 2019. If i have to check the time frame of my local field office there's no category for asylum base i-485 only family based and employment based. Can you please suggest what should be my next step..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X