No announcement yet.

Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm from NYC and applied for Green Card in March 2018. There hasn't been any update on my case since July when it was transferred to Texas Service Center for faster processing as they said. Still waiting for decision. I'm assuming my medical records have just expired so I'm wondering if I should do anything or would they notify me? I guess know one knows anything though with this coronavirus thing going on.

Comment

• ALERT: As of March 18, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services temporarily suspended in-person services at its field offices, asylum offices, and Application Support Centers (ASCs) to help slow the spread of Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19). USCIS offices will reopen on April 7 unless the public closures are extended further. However, USCIS will provide emergency services for limited situations. To schedule an emergency appointment contact the USCIS Contact Center.

Visit CoronaVirus.gov for a complete list of CDC travel health notices.

Learn about the Department of Homeland Security’s response.

I have attached the link below!

Comment

• UPDATED: Asylum offices and Application Support Centers will remain closed through May 3, 2020 unless further extended.

In an effort to protect our employees and communities, on March 18 we temporarily suspended providing in-person services at all of our offices. Our field offices, asylum offices and Application Support Centers will remain closed through May 3, unless further extended.

We will continue operations and services that do not require in-person contact with the public. For more information visit https://www.uscis.gov/coronavirus
        We will contact affected applicants and petitioners with instructions to reschedule appointments. Find more info on office closures and rescheduling appointments here: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-office-closings

Comment

• Hi Guys,

I'm going to apply for I-485 as an asylee. I already have asylum EAD (A05) that is valid till Feb 2021.

1- Should I apply for another EAD same time as I'm applying for green card? If so, would this be under A05 category again?
          2- If I don't apply for EAD now, can I apply later when current EAD is about to expire and will it be free?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by gtaid1 View Post
            Hi Guys,

I'm going to apply for I-485 as an asylee. I already have asylum EAD (A05) that is valid till Feb 2021.

1- Should I apply for another EAD same time as I'm applying for green card? If so, would this be under A05 category again?
            2- If I don't apply for EAD now, can I apply later when current EAD is about to expire and will it be free?

Thanks in advance.
            Hi gtaid1,

1. If you get your green card before your EAD expires, you will not need to apply for another EAD since your Green Card is enough evidence of work authorization as stated in the USCIS website:

"You do not need to apply for an EAD if you are a lawful permanent resident. Your Green Card (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card) is evidence of your employment authorization. You also do not need to apply for an EAD if you have a nonimmigrant visa that authorizes you to work for a specific employer (for example, you have an H-1B, L-1B, O, or P visa)."

2. If you believe that by Feb 2021 you will not have your GC, then you should apply for a EAD renewal. Good news is that pending GC applicants do not have to pay as long as you submit your I-485 Notice of Receipt. See the following EAD instruction statement :

"Any current Adjustment of Status or Registry applicant who filed for adjustment of status on or after July 30, 2007, and paid the appropriate Form I-485 filing fee. If you file Form I-765 separately from your Form I-485, you must also submit a copy of your Form I-797C Notice for Form I-485, as evidence of filing Form I-485 on or after July 30, 2007, and payment of the appropriate form filing fee. If you did not pay the appropriate Form I-485 filing fee because your filing fee was waived or you are exempt from paying it, you must pay the Form I-765 filing fee or request that the filing fee be waived."

EAD renewal takes about 5 months to process.

Hope this helps. Have a good day.

Comment

• Hello, everyone!
              I've been reading this thread for about a year now and you've all been very helpful and gave me a lot of hope and peace of mind.
              Now it's time to share my timeline with you:

- July 2018 - asylum granted (I am derivative asylee, got approved together with my wife)
              - October 11, 2019 - sent I-485 (I live in California, so our cases were acquired by Nebraska Service Center)
              - November 22, 2019 - Biometrics Taken
              - April 2, 2020 - New Card is Being Produced (my case; my wife's case is "Fingerprints were taken", but she has a slightly larger Case Number than mine, so hopefully she'll be approved soon as well)

So overall it took almost 6 months to get a Green Card as a derivative asylee.

I wish all who is still waiting to see your case being approved as soon as possible!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnlocke19 View Post
                Hello, everyone!
                I've been reading this thread for about a year now and you've all been very helpful and gave me a lot of hope and peace of mind.

- July 2018 - asylum granted (I am derivative asylee, got approved together with my wife)
                - October 11, 2019 - sent I-485 (I live in California, so our cases were acquired by Nebraska Service Center)
                - April 2, 2020 - New Card is Being Produced (my case; my wife's case is "Fingerprints were taken", but she has a slightly larger Case Number than mine, so hopefully she'll be approved soon as well)

I wish all who is still waiting to see your case being approved as soon as possible!
                Hey, that’s awesome! Congratulations! Thank you for sharing great news, now we see that they keep adjudicating our cases.

Comment

Hello, everyone!

Congrats! Your timeline is very similar to mine. I applied two days earlier and also got my fingerprints taken two days earlier.

I'm curious if it has to do with my case number or maybe mine is just taking longer.

Would you mind sharing your case number? Hope its okay to share that but I understand if not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fru-Fru View Post

Hey, that’s awesome! Congratulations! Thank you for sharing great news, now we see that they keep adjudicating our cases.
                    Yes, Nebraska Service Center keep adjudicating the cases because they are fast and open.

Texas Service center is very very slow and they are closed because of the lockdown in Dallas.

Congrats again !!! johnlocke19 You were really lucky that you comes under NSC
                    Last edited by luckycharm4111; 04-03-2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Please help!
                      I applied for green card based on asylum in Jan 2019 at texas center, now new till now. I moved to another state which is under nebraska center but my family still in the old address and i am going every other time between the two states, do you recommend to change my address to nebraska or it will take the order from the beginnning or should I wait my turn at texas since it is almost a year and couple of months? what should I do and what is faster in my case PLEASE!

Comment

• Originally posted by monalesaaa View Post
                        Please help!
                        I applied for green card based on asylum in Jan 2019 at texas center, now new till now. I moved to another state which is under nebraska center but my family still in the old address and i am going every other time between the two states, do you recommend to change my address to nebraska or it will take the order from the beginnning or should I wait my turn at texas since it is almost a year and couple of months? what should I do and what is faster in my case PLEASE!
                        By law if u going to reside In new adress
                        you have to change adress and your file will be automaticalyn transfer to Nebraska
                        immigration law requires you to reside on same adress as on file

Comment

• Originally posted by monalesaaa View Post
                          Please help!
                          Even if you move to a state under NSC's jurisdiction and update your new address online, for some reason, your file still remains at the original service center (TSC in your case) that received your application when you filed. TSC hardly transfers out files in cases like this. I am yet to see, I could be wrong though. If you wanted NSC to process your application, you had to have moved to a state within their jurisdiction or obtained a friend's/relative's address in any state in their jurisdiction BEFORE filing. To those yet to file who will be processed at TSC, take note of this. People keep making this mistake. Some people still go ahead and file at TSC hoping that theirs, for some reason or due to some special luck, won't take as long to process or they could get lucky or that cases might ease off considerably by their turn, you would be only pushing your luck too far. If you don't care about the nearly 2-year wait time at TSC, this shouldn't be a problem. However, if you need yours processed faster, do the needful BEFORE you file.

Unfortunately, all you can do in this case is wait it out until it gets to your turn. Going by recent approvals on this forum, TSC is probably processing cases from very late 2018 and your turn could be around the corner. Or try visiting your congressman to contact USCIS on your behalf, I'm not sure if they would be working currently given the lockdown. Contacting one's congressman used to be very effective a few years ago but more and more people are reporting recently not getting much done via this means. And oh, expect added delays in TSC green card processing given this lockdown. If your medicals are expired and you need to redo them, USCIS biometrics offices are currently closed until early May, thus only delaying your case (and others further).

cc gtaid1
                          Last edited by mekus21; 04-05-2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckycharm4111 View Post

Yes, Nebraska Service Center keep adjudicating the cases because they are fast and open.

Texas Service center is very very slow and they are closed because of the lockdown in Dallas.

Congrats again !!! johnlocke19 You were really lucky that you comes under NSC
                            I strongly feel the pains of those pending at TSC. By the time the pandemic is over and all offices resume, NSC would probably be processing 2020 (early 2020) applicants while TSC would still be rounding up 2018 applications, yet to start 2019 applications.

Some states under TSC need to be reassigned under NSC's jurisdiction to ease up the load, especially one or two heavy-immigrant state like New York or Maryland. First, all travel document applications under TSC's jurisdiction were moved to NSC (now every asylee all over the US gets their travel document application sent to and processed at NSC regardless of jurisdiction), thus bumping up NSC's previous 3-month processing time for travel documents to 5 months, to ease up the workload at TSC, yet TSC never picked up speed as expected. NSC has consistently shown that they have the resources, are capable of fast and efficient I485 processing and could probably take on a few extra states, thus a few states under TSC need be reassigned to NSC to ease up the general work load at TSC. TSC generally covers states in the US with the presence of plenty immigrants compared to states under NSC and, as expected, receives way more immigration cases vs NSC.

Comment

Hello, everyone!

Congrats!!!

Just curious, When you got your derivative asylum approved
                              1. Was it I-730 petition ? Do you had an interview at that time?
                              2. You and your wife applied I-485 at the same time ?

Last edited by luckycharm4111; 04-06-2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• I hope everyone is safe. I have a question

For example, If the primary asylee applied for Adjustment of Status(AOS)(I-485) in January, 2019 and Derivative asylee applied for AOS in July, 2019.

Do they make the decision together for both primary and derivative or separately for each application?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X