Duplicate Indian Passport in lieu of Lost Passport
While completing an online application, in the 'service desired' field, choose option 'New Passport in lieu of Damaged/Lost Passport'.

Applications for duplicate passports are normally not accepted by mail except with prior approval of the Consular Officer. And such approval is normally given when the persons lives far away from the Consulate. In these exceptional cases, the photograph and signature of the applicant must be notarized on a separate sheet of paper with the notary's remark "Seen the person and signed in my presence" which can be sent by mail along with the application.

A duplicate passport may not be issued for the second loss/damage of passport. Habitual losers of passports will be subject to enquiry.

Atlanta, Chicago, Houston and Washignton applicants must visit the consulate in person for an interview before applying at the passport application center.

Additional Documents
  • Notarized affidavit from two Indian passport holders, who have valid resident status in the USA (they should not be short term visitors).

  • Application Form:
    Sign in the allowed space on page 1, 3 and 4 of the application form. Signatures on the third page of the application form must be notarized.

  • Additional Photographs:
    In addition to the usual three photographs, enclose seven additional photographs.

  • ID Proof:
    Submit the photocopies of the first five pages and last two pages of the current passport was lost. In case the photo copy of the passport is not available, submit one or more of the following documents as the proof of ID that may indicate Indian nationality of the applicant:
    • Indian Photo Identification Card such as Driver's License, Ration Card, Voters Card, PAN card, or any other document containing photo and indicating Indian nationality of the applicant.

    • Indian Birth Certificate.

    • Matriculation/Higher Secondary/School Leaving Certificate or any other school records from India.

  • Instead of one, send eight copies of Nationality Verification Form.

  • If you are a student
    • Current school/college/university ID

    • Letter from school/college/university in the USA

  • Houston Jurisdisction Only:
    If the passport is lost or damaged for more than 3 years, enclose additional 4 Point Affidvavit.

  • Additional documents for lost passport:
    • Original Police Report filed with the Police about loss of passport.

    • A letter on a plain paper addressed to the Consulate General of India, <CITY NAME>, explaining the circumstances of the loss of passport. This letter is also called an 'Incident Report'.