Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gtaid1 View Post
    I have applied for a new Refugee Travel Document but my old one is not expired yet. I haven't applied for GC yet because I haven't been physically in the US for one year (I traveled for 60 days on multiple trips).

1- Can I still use my old RTD to travel ?
    2- Did I have to send my old RTD to USCIS to get a new one? I still have it with me and it expires in May 2020.

Thanks!
    You are only allowed to have one U.S. Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571) at a time. You can still use the old one, but they will request it if you didn't submit it when you reapply for a new one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatori1980 View Post

If you renew RTD and the old one is not expired you have to send the old one with your application. Because they want you have only one valid RTD.
      oh ok I have visa (from Ireland) on my old one I guess now I have to wait for USCIS to ask the old one back, sent it in, get new RTD, and re-apply to get my Irish visa again.
      Last edited by gtaid1; 01-28-2020, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• Another question: I was granted asylum Jan 30 in 2019. I traveled about 60 days outside of US in 2019 (multiple trips).
        Do I have to wait 60 days extra to apply for GC because of one year physical presence rule? In other words, do I need to wait till March 30, 2020 to apply for GC or can I apply end of Jan ?

Comment

Another question: I was granted asylum Jan 30 in 2019. I traveled about 60 days outside of US in 2019 (multiple trips).
          Do I have to wait 60 days extra to apply for GC because of one year physical presence rule? In other words, do I need to wait till March 30, 2020 to apply for GC or can I apply end of Jan ?
          You have to apply on March 30. Because you were outside the country.

Comment

oh ok I have visa (from Ireland) on my old one I guess now I have to wait for USCIS to ask the old one back, sent it in, get new RTD, and re-apply to get my Irish visa again.
            It is simple! You are not paying attention, I answered your question. It is simple, You will need to return the old Refugee Travel Document with the new application for the U.S. Refugee Travel Document, You will prepare a cover letter to explain, you will need it to be return, In your cover letter, You will notify them that you have a visa on the corresponding page and would request it be cancelled and returned to you. USCIS will cancel and return same, I have had mine called and returned and the new one was issued also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asylee Expert View Post

Everything you need is on USCIS.gov website. Everything immigration related is on the website.
              Thank you, I ended up finding a direct link to the statistics

Comment

• Hey guys!

My timeline here:

March 20, 2019 - Application I-485 received at TSC
                April 15, 2019 - Fingerprints applied to the case

No updates as of today. I guess this waiting game is as old as the world. Even though they are showing to be working on cases as of December 2017, I'm pretty sure they went way further than that.

After going through these chats since the very beginning, I can clearly see there are some cases still pending since March 2018 and April 2018...Also, many 2018 later cases were successfully processed already.

I have also heard of one case processed since January 2019, so I would not really rely on the website dates. Call it just luck I guess...

Comment

• Originally posted by mmbt View Post

Thank you, I ended up finding a direct link to the statistics
                  mmbt can you please share the link. Thanks!!!

Comment

• Hi
                    I just want to let u know my timelines with Nebraska Service center
                    Aug14 2018-Asylum approved
                    Aug25 2019 - I485 Application received
                    Sep11 2019 - Fingerprint fee accepted
                    Oct10 2019- Fingerprint completed
                    Jan31 2020 - new card being produced (GC)
                    Thanks

Comment

• Hey guys!

My timeline here:

March 20, 2019 - Application I-485 received at TSC
                      April 15, 2019 - Fingerprints applied to the case

No updates as of today. I guess this waiting game is as old as the world. Even though they are showing to be working on cases as of December 2017, I'm pretty sure they went way further than that.

After going through these chats since the very beginning, I can clearly see there are some cases still pending since March 2018 and April 2018...Also, many 2018 later cases were successfully processed already.

I have also heard of one case processed since January 2019, so I would not really rely on the website dates. Call it just luck I guess...

Comment

• Hi everyone,

Applied 0ct-2019, Nebraska Center
                        Fingerprint Dec-02-2019
                        Next day status update to review completed and two weeks later to case was updated to show fingerprints taken.
                        I did not submit my medical, so waiting for RFE.
                        wonder when to expect?

Comment

• Hi forummates,

I've been reading this thread for the past few months. Now that I've received my asylum based I-485 approval, I do want to post my timeline as a return of favor:

May 2019 I-485 application submitted to Nebraska Service Center
                          Jun 2019 Biometrics taken
                          Oct 2019 Case transferred to National Benefits Center
                          Dec 2019 Interview scheduled
                          Jan 2020 Interview conducted
                          Feb 2020 I-485 approved/GC mailed

I believe I'm one of the few who were called in for an interview for asylum based I-485. It was pretty nerve wracking. But I'm glad it went fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by NKR2020 View Post
                            Hi
                            I just want to let u know my timelines with Nebraska Service center
                            Aug14 2018-Asylum approved
                            Aug25 2019 - I485 Application received
                            Sep11 2019 - Fingerprint fee accepted
                            Oct10 2019- Fingerprint completed
                            Jan31 2020 - new card being produced (GC)
                            Thanks
                            wow they didn't call you for interview?

Comment

• BTW I was wondering what forms do you guys submit in addition to i-485? Do you recommend submitting Advance Parole and Refugee Travel Document same time as GC application?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vanessa24 View Post
                                Hi forummates,

I've been reading this thread for the past few months. Now that I've received my asylum based I-485 approval, I do want to post my timeline as a return of favor:

May 2019 I-485 application submitted to Nebraska Service Center
                                Jun 2019 Biometrics taken
                                Oct 2019 Case transferred to National Benefits Center
                                Dec 2019 Interview scheduled
                                Jan 2020 Interview conducted
                                Feb 2020 I-485 approved/GC mailed

I believe I'm one of the few who were called in for an interview for asylum based I-485. It was pretty nerve wracking. But I'm glad it went fine.
                                wow.. you had an interview for asylum based green card.. I think it's not very often... Did they ask you anything from original asylum application?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X