I know most of them here have horrible experiences but i am on the other side. My experience so far is quite satisfying.
Below is the process:
1. Fill out government form and go through the application multiple times just to be sure you haven't made any errors. Below is the link for the same.
2. Print government application form and fix your passport size photograph and sign the form where required.
3. Fill VFS form under required category by registering in below link and by selecting 'Passport' as category.
4. Fill in details as required and don't forget to provide your email address wherever required which is mandatory for further communication. Most of the communication would be through email from VFS.
Documents Required to be part of your fedex envelope:
1. Checklist (Not all pages are mandatory. Chose and fill only those pages which are relevant to you and make sure you submit all document in specified order under the checklist). Checklist should also be signed.
2. Government application duly signed and photograph pasted.
3. Your Passport Color Copy - First 5 & last 2 pages [Notarized]
4. PSEG/Drivers License for current address proof - Color Copy Notarized
5. i797/Green Card (Approved/Pending) - Notarized Color Copy.
6. Change of appearance - Notarized [Better to send it]. Signed and Photograph pasted.
7. Self Sworn Affidavit - Self Attested
8. Annexure E - Signed
9. Marriage Certificate - Notarized (In case spouse name to be added to passport)
10. Payment Confirmation Page (If payment was made by Credit/Debit Card)
11. Courier Label of your home address (Don't send courier label of VFS location as part of your package)
12. Spouse Passport Copy[First and last page] - Signed by your spouse and notarized
11/11/2020 - Send all required document through fedex
11/12/2020 - Documents received by VFS
11/13/2020 - Received an email from VFS saying "Application received"
11/16/2020 - Received an email from VFS saying 'Application send to consulate/embassy'. Checked on government website on the same day and found application status reflects the same. From hereon we need to track application on government site until its dispatched from embassy to OSP(VFS).
11/17/2020 - Checked on gov website myself and found passport if printed. Surprisingly, i received another email from VFS mentioning 'Police Verification is initiated'. Later in the evening status says passport has been send to VFS for delivery.
11/18/2020 - Received an email from VFS late in the evening saying passport has been send through fedex courier. I tracked the courier and found it left NYC on the same date to Jersey City and would be delivered the very next day.
11/19/2020 - Got both my passports back.