Asylum Based i-485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by harmony15 View Post

Me too, same timeline as yours. I received my Travel Document, it expires in July 2021.. Yaaaay...Hopefully they can issue us GC NOW!!! March 2019 applicant...still waiting.....
    I hope they issue GC soon for us.

Same here, My husbands in April 2019 and me in Dec 2019.

Waiting.......

Comment

• Good morning to all,

Thanks God, my case was approved couple days ago. Here is my updated timeline:

NSC:

January 14th, 2019: Asylum approved
      January 15th, 2020: I-485 application sent
      January 22nd, 2020: Fingerprint Fee was received / Biometrics appointment received (Status update)
      Match 6th, 2020: Biometrics done (Originally scheduled for February 26th but I had to reschedule)
      March 7th, 2020: Biometrics Applied to the Case (Status Update)
      July 29th, 2020: New card being produced
      July 30th, 2020: Case was approved

I was truly hit by the Netflix documentary “Immigration Nation” and made me realize how fortunate we are. I hope your cases get processed faster. Wish you all the best.

Originally posted by edu323 View Post
      Good morning to all,

I am new to this forum and thank you all for sharing your information. Here is my timeline:

Nebraska Service Center (NSC)

January 22nd, 2020: Fingerprint Fee was received / Biometrics appointment received (Status update)
      Match 6th, 2020: Biometrics done (Originally scheduled for February 26th but I had to reschedule)

I also had 2 fingerprints from my right hand and a face picture taken. The gentleman told me that they needed only 2 fingerprints because it was only to confirm it was me. They will actually use my previous FP taken from the asylum case in my I-485 case.

I am actually impressed on how fast my case is moving. I wish everyone's applications move fast too. Best wishes!!

Comment

• I haven't received my GC yet and my EAD is expiring in less than 6 months. I know technically asylees don't need EAD to work but still feels better to have it for those employers / DMV offices who ask for it.

I read USCIS's I-765 instructions that says: NOTE: If you are an asylee and have applied under INA section 209 to adjust to lawful permanent resident status using Form I-485, file Form I-765 under category (a)(5) as an asylee. Do not file Form I-765 under eligibility category (c)(9) as an INA section 245 adjustment applicant.

So seems like we need to file under A5 category even though when we have GC pending.

Has anyone done this? Did you pay any fees?

I know EAD through pending GC is free but we are instructed to file under A5 and USCIS fee calculator shows there's a free for RENEWAL.

Please let me know your experience and how you filed for your EAD while your GC was pending.

Thank you!
        Last edited by gtaid1; 08-04-2020, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gtaid1 View Post
          I haven't received my GC yet and my EAD is expiring in less than 6 months. I know technically asylees don't need EAD to work but still feels better to have it for those employers / DMV offices who ask for it.

I read USCIS's I-765 instructions that says: NOTE: If you are an asylee and have applied under INA section 209 to adjust to lawful permanent resident status using Form I-485, file Form I-765 under category (a)(5) as an asylee. Do not file Form I-765 under eligibility category (c)(9) as an INA section 245 adjustment applicant.

So seems like we need to file under A5 category even though when we have GC pending.

I know EAD through pending GC is free but we are instructed to file under A5 and USCIS fee calculator shows there's a free for RENEWAL.

Please let me know your experience and how you filed for your EAD while your GC was pending.

Thank you!
          Yes, when we do it as A5 category they don't accept the application without fee which is ridiculous. I heard from people here but not sure.

When we do it as C9, they will accept the application on the basis of I-485 receipt (application fee is not required). I did it this way unknowingly and they send me the new EAD with A5 category.
          Last edited by luckycharm4111; 08-04-2020, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by edu323 View Post
            Good morning to all,

Thanks God, my case was approved couple days ago. Here is my updated timeline:

NSC:

July 29th, 2020: New card being produced
            July 30th, 2020: Case was approved

I was truly hit by the Netflix documentary “Immigration Nation” and made me realize how fortunate we are. I hope your cases get processed faster. Wish you all the best.

Lucky you.
            i wished my case was in NSC. Have been waiting for more than 15 months here and no update yet.
            TSC sucks

Comment

• UPDATE: USCIS Adjusts Fees to Help Meet Operational Needs

Release Date
              07/31/2020

WASHINGTON—Today, the Department of Homeland Security announced a final rule (PDF) that adjusts fees for certain immigration and naturalization benefit requests to ensure U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services recovers its costs of services.

Unlike most government agencies, USCIS is fee funded. Fees collected and deposited into the Immigration Examinations Fee Account fund nearly 97% of USCIS’ budget.

As required by federal law, USCIS conducted a comprehensive biennial fee review and determined that current fees do not recover the cost of providing adjudication and naturalization services. DHS is adjusting USCIS fees by a weighted average increase of 20% to help recover its operational costs. Current fees would leave the agency underfunded by about $1 billion per year.

“USCIS is required to examine incoming and outgoing expenditures and make adjustments based on that analysis,” said Joseph Edlow, USCIS deputy director for policy. “These overdue adjustments in fees are necessary to efficiently and fairly administer our nation’s lawful immigration system, secure the homeland and protect Americans.”

The rule accounts for increased costs to adjudicate immigration benefit requests, detect and deter immigration fraud, and thoroughly vet applicants, petitioners and beneficiaries. The rule also supports payroll, technology and operations to accomplish the USCIS mission. The rule removes certain fee exemptions, includes new nominal fees for asylum applicants, and reduces fee waivers to help recover the costs of adjudication.

This final rule also encourages online filing by providing a $10 reduction in the fee for applicants who submit forms online that are electronically available from USCIS. Online filing is the most secure, efficient, cost-effective and convenient way to submit a request with USCIS.

USCIS last updated its fee structure in December 2016 by a weighted average increase of 21%.

For a full list of changes and a complete table of final fees, see the final rule (PDF).

This final rule is effective Oct. 2, 2020. Any application, petition, or request postmarked on or after this date must include payment of the new, correct fees established by this final rule.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-rele...rational-needs

Comment

• Good Morning Everyone! I hope my message finds everyone well during this Coronavirus Pandemic. Some housekeeping, kindly wear a N95 or N99 mask while in public, Wash hands with soap and water for 20 - 40 seconds, and in the absence of soap and water, Use an alcohol based hand sanitizer. I am on the opinion, that the Coronavirus is airborne, protect yourself and your family accordingly with information from the CDC, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the WHO, World Health Organization.

In other business, the USCIS, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will be raising their fees effective FRIDAY, OCTOBER 02, 2020. The Final Rule has been published and posted above. The document has 576 pages of information, I have made a summary of the information here below, these are the major changes.

USCIS will provide a grace period of up to 60 days in which it will accept both the previous and new versions of certain forms as long as payments of the new, correct fees accompanies the forms. Applicants and petitioners must use the new or revised Forms by October 02, 2020. In addition to adjusting fees, the final rule removes certain fee exemption and limits fee waivers.

UNITED STATES CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION SERVICES, USCIS FEE SCHEDULE AND CHANGES TO CERTAIN OTHER IMMIGRATION BENEFIT REQUEST REQUIREMENTS

- FORM I-131 - Refugee Travel Document, Form I-571 | Old Fee: $135.00 | New Fee: $145 | Change by $10.00 | 7% Increase

- FORM I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status | Old Fee: $1,140 | New Fee: $1,130 | Change by -$10.00 | - 1% Decrease

- FORM I-589 - Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal | Old Fee: $0.00 | New Fee: $50.00

- I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization (Non-DACA only) | Old Fee: $410.00 | New Fee: $550.00 | Change by $140.00 | 34% Increase

- N-400 Application for Naturalization (Online Filing) | Old Fee: $ $640.00 | New Fee: $1,160.00 | Change by $520 | 81% Increase

- N-400 - Application for Naturalization (Paper Filing) | Old Fee: $640.00 | New Fee: $1,170.00 | Change by $530.00 | 83% Increase

- Biometrics Services (Non-DACA only) | Old fee: $85.00 | New Fee: $30.00 | Change by - $55.00 | - 65% Decrease

- FORM I-90 - Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (Online Filing) | Old Fee: $ 455.00 | New Fee: $405.00 | Change by - $50.00 | - 11% Decrease

- FORM I-90 - Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (Paper Filing) | Old Fee: $455.00 | New Fee: $415.00 | Change by - $40.00 | - 9% Decrease

***Please note, not all forms can be filed online, and the new changes will make some paper filings a few dollars more than online filing.

MAJOR IMPORTANT CHANGE TO NOTE:

Discontinue bundling of interim benefits when Form I-765 and Form I-131 are filed concurrently with pending FORM 1-485 or when a FORM I-485 is pending. The Department of Homeland Security now requiring separate fees for Forms I-765 and/or I-131 when filed concurrently with a Form I-485 or when a Form I-485 is pending.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckycharm4111 View Post

Yes, when we do it as A5 category they don't accept the application without fee which is ridiculous. I heard from people here but not sure.

When we do it as C9, they will accept the application on the basis of I-485 receipt (application fee is not required). I did it this way unknowingly and they send me the new EAD with A5 category.
                  thank you so much for sharing!!! Maybe this is the way LOL

May I ask which service center you filed to?

Comment

• I filed for a Travel Document (Form I-131) in February 2020, so it's has been over 6 months since I applied. The processing times on the USCIS website shows a processing period of up to 5 months.

I have filled an "outside of normal processing times" request, and received an update today, that they had to perform additional reviews for my TD, which caused a delay. They advised me to wait for 60 more days, so I can finally receive a decision for the Travel Document.

That means that If my Travel Document gets approved, at the time I receive it, it will be 8 months of waiting for an approval..

Last edited by Jasmine22; 08-05-2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

thank you so much for sharing!!! Maybe this is the way LOL

May I ask which service center you filed to?
                      LOL

Texas Service Center

Comment

• Asylum approved: may 2017
                        i-485 filed: May 2018
                        fingerprint taken: July 2018
                        case was transferred NSC TO TSC: august 2018

when I check my case status still showing case was transferred And new office has jurisdiction. I filed e-request a month ago got a reply I will see action in a next 60 days , a month gone nothing changed. Is anyone else in a same boat.? Waiting is so frustrating????. Does seeingcongressman a really helpful. Thanks

Comment

I haven't received my GC yet and my EAD is expiring in less than 6 months. I know technically asylees don't need EAD to work but still feels better to have it for those employers / DMV offices who ask for it.

Thank you!
                          I also have a pending green card application. so i filed for EAD renewal through my lawyer. He selected A5 category. I have not paid any fee to USCIS for it. I just paid lawyer's fee for preparing my application. What's your case timeline? and at which center you case is?
                          Here is my timeline at TSC:
                          Filed Green card application 1st Sep 2019.
                          Biomatrics: 2nd oct, 2019
                          till then no update.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bglama View Post
                            Asylum approved: may 2017
                            i-485 filed: May 2018
                            fingerprint taken: July 2018
                            case was transferred NSC TO TSC: august 2018

when I check my case status still showing case was transferred And new office has jurisdiction. I filed e-request a month ago got a reply I will see action in a next 60 days , a month gone nothing changed. Is anyone else in a same boat.? Waiting is so frustrating????. Does seeingcongressman a really helpful. Thanks
                            I made an inquiry through congressman 2 months ago. Just got the standard reply that it will take more time for background check.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckycharm4111 View Post

How much time they took to renew your EAD? which service center?

Comment

• Originally posted by Prince Ali View Post

I also have a pending green card application. so i filed for EAD renewal through my lawyer. He selected A5 category. I have not paid any fee to USCIS for it. I just paid lawyer's fee for preparing my application. What's your case timeline? and at which center you case is?
                                Here is my timeline at TSC:
                                Filed Green card application 1st Sep 2019.
                                Biomatrics: 2nd oct, 2019
                                till then no update.
                                I filed my green card in April 2020 to Nebraska Service Center. They have applied my previous fingerprints to case in July and after that no news. My EAD is expiring end of December (less than 6 months) and it takes few months to get new one.

When did you file your A5 EAD renewal? Did USCIS accept your case without filing any fees? Do you know if your lawyer put any letters explaining why not paying fees?

Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X